Menu

If you had to recommend just ONE magazine for a 10 y/o girl

who is into reading, some creative writing, and likes arts and crafts, which one would you recommend?

I don't want anything science-related or history-related, we already get Kids Discover and National Geographic Kids.

I want something along a different line but I'm not sure what exactly. Something about stories and crafts and books and whatnot maybe that a 10 y/o girl would enjoy.

I'm only going to order one magazine so give me your number one pick :)

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies so far! I see a lot of you are recommending American Girl...

Would you recommend the American Girl Magazine even if your daughter never was into dolls? Any dolls, including American Girl dolls? (She did like the American Girl books that she read, but she's NEVER been into dolls- is this going to be heavy on the whole "things for/things to do with your American Girls doll" stuff?)

Thanks for the replies so far! I see a lot of you are recommending American Girl...

Would you recommend the American Girl Magazine even if your daughter never was into dolls? Any dolls, including American Girl dolls? (She did like the American Girl books that she read, but she's NEVER been into dolls- is this going to be heavy on the whole "things for/things to do with your American Girls doll" stuff?)

Nope. At least they wern't when I was reading them....

http://www.americangirl.com/fun/agmg/ has a free sample to look at.

Yep, my older dd has never liked dolls but has always loved AG magazine.

I haven't found one I really like yet. American Girl seems like of like "twaddle", KWIM? New Moon I alternate between really liking and finding the values problematic (it's very liberal on certain social issues like homos*xuality and abortion). I haven't cared for any of the Christian magazines I've seen as we are not Evangelical. I really wish there was something like New Moon but with a more conservative POV.

American Girl or Cricket. My dd loves both.

The description of Cricket (from their website):

"...each 48-page issue of CRICKET still publishes only the "best of the best" fiction and non-fiction stories for kids, poems, crossword puzzles, hands-on activities, and, of course, the signature cast of rambunctious bug characters who appear in the margins of the magazine to offer commentary on the stories and explain difficult words. There are also monthly story, poetry, art, and photography contests which encourage readers to express their own creativity. A variety of genres - fantasy, historical fiction, myths and legends, true adventure, contemporary fiction, and humor - as well as intriguing nonfiction articles - on culture, history, science, and the arts - are in every issue of CRICKET."

FYI, if you sign up for the emails from Cricket, they will send discount/coupon info pretty often. The most recent code I have gotten is N646 to get $6 off a one-year subscription.

American Girl seems like of like "twaddle", KWIM?

Well, yes, but . . . it's a magazine, y'know? The Economist aside, most magazines are a bit twaddly, it's in their nature :D.

I think it can be easy for us, as adults, to forget how much kids sometimes want to have something goofy or silly or twaddly, that isn't at all illuminating or educational and that their parents have NO interest in whatsoever. And, when you're a young girl, sometimes which toner to use or how to introduce yourself on the first day of camp is INSANELY important. American Girl has just enough of those elements, imo, especially if you have a hs'd girl who could use a gentle nudge or two in those directions, along with a fair amount of other, more 'worthy' reading and activities.

Let she who has not read her own twaddle cast the first stone! :D

Well, this may be too far off the path you're thinking, but my ten-year old DD has similar interests (reading, writing, crafts) and has a whole stash of Family Fun magazines that we've picked up at the library magazine exchange. She has gotten other magazines like Cricket and checks out copies of American Girl from the library occasionally, but the copies that always get thumbed through time and again are Family Fun. I decided to get her a subscription (got it for a $5 deal) this year, so we can see the new ones right away.

Erica in OR

Nope, I don't think the mag has much to do with the dolls at all.

Well, yes, but . . . it's a magazine, y'know? The Economist aside, most magazines are a bit twaddly, it's in their nature :D.

I think it can be easy for us, as adults, to forget how much kids sometimes want to have something goofy or silly or twaddly, that isn't at all illuminating or educational and that their parents have NO interest in whatsoever. And, when you're a young girl, sometimes which toner to use or how to introduce yourself on the first day of camp is INSANELY important. American Girl has just enough of those elements, imo, especially if you have a hs'd girl who could use a gentle nudge or two in those directions, along with a fair amount of other, more 'worthy' reading and activities.

Let she who has not read her own twaddle cast the first stone! :D

:iagree::iagree: "A little bit of nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest of [wo]men."