Menu

Dh wants to know and I can't remember

I read somewhere that it's supposed to be a wry reference to the Borg from Star Trek - they all thought as one mind and would say to conquered worlds: "resistance is futile - you will be assimilated". SWB makes Borg references more frequently than I expected from a Classical Education promoter and historian. You'll find them in History of the Ancient World as well.

I find it funny. When I first came to the boards I didn't know about the Borg reference but all the talk of the hive mind reminded me of them and I used to have on my siggy "Resistance is futile. I will be assimilated." But when I learned that it REALLY was a reference to the Borg my signature no longer seemed wry - just overkill. :tongue_smilie:

I think I remember it originally having a derogatory connotation. Someone was actually insulting us, saying that no one here can make any decision for herself, that we can't do anything without consulting the others on the board. She compared us to a bee hive, and didn't mean it as a compliment.

Others saw the humor, and then it was informally adopted as others picked up on it and started referring to the forums as The Hive.

When SWB and her crew set up the new boards, they adopted the Hive idea formally.

I think I remember it originally having a derogatory connotation. Someone was actually insulting us, saying that no one here can make any decision for herself, that we can't do anything without consulting the others on the board. She compared us to a bee hive, and didn't mean it as a compliment.

Others saw the humor, and then it was informally adopted as others picked up on it and started referring to the forums as The Hive.

When SWB and her crew set up the new boards, they adopted the Hive idea formally.

:iagree:This is how I remember it as well.:001_smile:

Oh yeah, now I remember. I think I actually even remember who it was.

But which came first? I thought Kay's comment was first, caught on, and then it was used as an insult.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with this forum's name. BUT, my son was looking over my shoulder the other day while I was typing something and laughed because he said that the series of books by Mark Walden called H.I.V.E (Higher Institute of Villainous Education) has an artificial intelligence thing called the HIVE Mind that helps with the running of their school. :D

Edited by Swirl