Menu

Vit D problems

After a year of treatment with Vitamin D, my level has gone up one point. I went from 15 to 16. I have tried the prescription 50,000 units both every week an twice a week. There have been some weeks off, though.

Does anyone have ideas to improve this level? Some days I can barely move!

Thanks for your help!

After a year of treatment with Vitamin D, my level has gone up one point. I went from 15 to 16. I have tried the prescription 50,000 units both every week an twice a week. There have been some weeks off, though.

Does anyone have ideas to improve this level? Some days I can barely move!

Thanks for your help!

Vitamin D needs something else to help your body absorb it, and people who have trouble increasing their levels are often deficient in that substance. I can't remember what it is right now and have to rush off to the city for the day. I'll try to find out what it is and post later. I think it might be mentioned at Dr. Hyman's site, Ultrawellness, if you want to search for it already. HTH.

I would check into an absorption issue as well.

Vitamin D is fat soluable. NOW brand is the only one that i've found to be effective. ymmv though.

I also take a combination of Vit. D (2,000) in the morning, and naturalCalm at night, which is magnesium and calcium and a little more D.

This site has some interesting info on vitamin D.

http://www.womentowomen.com/healthynutrition/vitamind.aspx

Her top recommendation is getting 15 minutes of sun exposure every day. This is your body's natural way of absorbing vitamin D. The latitude of your location will affect whether or not the sun is strong enough now for this to benefit you. If you're able to do this, you shouldn't have any side effects.

I'm deficient too and started taking the 50,000 IU weekly about 2 months ago. Based on my latitude, I won't get the sun exposure benefits until May but I plan to change my routine then to start absorbing some of that sun!

While it is true that many recommend oral supplements, we aren't really supposed to get vit D orally. We're supposed to get it from the sun. This time of year the sun won't help you though, assuming you live in the northern hemisphere, as we don't get enough UV exposure to stimulate production of D. In your shoes I'd seriously investigate the possibility of very short sessions in a tanning bed to try to bring up your vitamin D level.

Oh, and are you taking D2 or D3? The prescription stuff is usually D2, which may be very poorly absorbed. If D2, switch to D3, which you can get over the counter. And as others have mentioned, be sure you're taking oil-filled gelatin capsules, and take them with a fat-containing meal.

I take prescription twice a week. I also get it in a daily multivit and daily citracal (3 pills). So, that 50,000 twice a week plus 2100 daily.

Have you been tested for other problems? I am hypothyroid and was diagnosed with parathyroid disease a couple of years ago. (didn't know I had a parathyroid). These problems have affected my body's ability to absorb certain nutrients. The bigger problem for me was having/keeping calcium in my blood, but D has also been an issue. Anyway, your inability to raise your vit D levels could be a sign something else is going on.

I take prescription twice a week. I also get it in a daily multivit and daily citracal (3 pills). So, that 50,000 twice a week plus 2100 daily.

Have you been tested for other problems? I am hypothyroid and was diagnosed with parathyroid disease a couple of years ago. (didn't know I had a parathyroid). These problems have affected my body's ability to absorb certain nutrients. The bigger problem for me was having/keeping calcium in my blood, but D has also been an issue. Anyway, your inability to raise your vit D levels could be a sign something else is going on.

My celiac and thyroid tests came back negative. My sed rate and C-rp were high. I'm waiting for an endocrinology and rheumotology appointment.

The vitamin D council has great information about vitamin D supplementation.

You are doing it through prescription and I think that's actually your problem. Read here http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitaminDPharmacology.shtml

The important thing to know: cholecalciferol is the vitamin D to take. Do not let your doctor give you any prescription medication for vitamin D.
Cholecalciferol is vitamin D3 and is not available by prescription. You'll need to get it over the counter/internet as with any supplement. Also, you can safely take up to 10,000 IU of the D3 form per day (D3...not what your doctor is giving you). So you could be at higher dose.

Cod Liver Oil Issue:

You cannot correct an actual deficiency with fermented cod liver oil. You can't take the doses needed without getting too much A for one. For two there is some controversy about A and D together. The 2nd response on this page will give you a run down on the thoughts against A with D. http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter/2008-december.shtml Lots of people disagree given native populations getting D in this way. That said, my personal experience and that with others I've known seem to indicate that A is an issue when you're trying to correct. I ended up stopping it until we got at ideal levels, then it's probably a good idea. You're not there. Just my opinion. But, again, whether you add it or not you can't dose high enough to get the D you need to correct. Rule of thumb, by the way, is 1000 IU per 25 pounds to maintain current level. You will need much more than that to correct a deficiency.

Sun alone issue:

I can look up studies if you want but not everyone makes enough from sun even with abundant exposure at the right latitude. There was a well done study from high exposure no sunscreen people in Hawaii (so great latitude for vitamin D production) of a variety of ethnicities. Nearly all were deficient in D and the rest were suboptimal. This mirrors what many have discovered when they got themselves tested after having assumed sun was doing what they needed. There are lots of reasons some of us don't get enough even with adequate exposure. One link to study--you can look at the full thing online too (there is a pdf link on first google search of Hawaii sun exposure vitamin D) to see the levels were abysmally low. Basically, they called a 30 level normal and still almost half were low. We know 30 is actually low and below that is severely deficient. If you only take people 50 and above I believe there were one or two that actually had adequate D. There were very few even in that suboptimal (30) level is I remember. This is the abstract link though: http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/92/6/2130

Conclusions: These data suggest that variable responsiveness to UVB radiation is evident among individuals, causing some to have low vitamin D status despite abundant sun exposure. In addition, because the maximal 25(OH)D concentration produced by natural UV exposure appears to be approximately 60 ng/ml, it seems prudent to use this value as an upper limit when prescribing vitamin D supplementation.
The point is for many of us sun isn't going to do it. The full study they provide some theories as to why this is true. But if a person is relying on sun they should test to make sure they are getting adequate amounts.

For most of us in the US at this time of year there is no possible way to make vitamin D from sun due to latitude anyway unless you have a light box or similar!

Finally, there are some rare conditions that make the body try to suppress D. My sister had parathyroid disease for example. I doubt that is the case with you though.

My guess is it's the form. I'd try D3 at 10,000 IU per day for a couple of months and then retest and see if you've made significant progress. I finally did that (after learning what I wrote above) and corrected fast. You can dose it all at once if you want to (once a week) but you might try spreading it out to see if you tolerate it better in terms of symptoms. If you don't go ahead and dose once a week I think. You might try a calcium level and make sure it's not high (sign of that rare condition) but I really suspect it's just your form.

Edited by sbgrace

I was DX Vit D deficiant almost 2 years ago. I have had lots of blood work since then and so far nothing else is showing up ( Thyroid etc). My levels are still low and I have increased to 8,000 IU after my last appointment.

My Dr. thinks I am not aborbing it, but he has not offered any suggestions except to continue to up the dose. We live in the great state of Michigan, where the sun rarely shines (Truly we have gone 8 weeks without seeing the sun) so that is not really an option for me.

I have no advice, just my experience here and that I am still searching for answers.

FYI, here is a link to beds/lamps that might help. I don't have one, so can't vouch for how it works, but I have been reading Mercola for years and he was definitely ahead of conventional medicine in terms of vitamin D. What he says about the difference between these beds and the ones at Sun Tan City makes sense to me.

Good luck!

Rene

Sun alone issue:

I can look up studies if you want but not everyone makes enough from sun even with abundant exposure at the right latitude. There was a well done study from high exposure no sunscreen people in Hawaii (so great latitude for vitamin D production) of a variety of ethnicities. Nearly all were deficient in D and the rest were suboptimal. This mirrors what many have discovered when they got themselves tested after having assumed sun was doing what they needed. There are lots of reasons some of us don't get enough even with adequate exposure. One link to study--you can look at the full thing online too (there is a pdf link on first google search of Hawaii sun exposure vitamin D) to see the levels were abysmally low. Basically, they called a 30 level normal and still almost half were low. We know 30 is actually low and below that is severely deficient. If you only take people 50 and above I believe there were one or two that actually had adequate D. There were very few even in that suboptimal (30) level is I remember. This is the abstract link though: http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/92/6/2130 The point is for many of us sun isn't going to do it. The full study they provide some theories as to why this is true. But if a person is relying on sun they should test to make sure they are getting adequate amounts.

Thanks for this information. I read the abstract and was disappointed with their findings. I'd really hoped that if I just get out in sun more I'd take of the problem. Why can't anything be that simple? :glare:

and I have low D (and osteopenia). Reading Mercola was the basis for getting tested for my D and osteo. (My doc did not regularly test D back then but does now and is shocked at how low the levels are that she tests!)

Anyhoo...Mercola recommends K2 supplementation to help with D3 absorption - you may just need to add K2??? Go to Mercola and read up. Lots of info with studies cited. Also will tell you how to get correct result/testing.