Menu

Mrs. Smith's pies? Did you have one this Christmas?

For Thanksgiving and Christmas I bought a Mrs. Smith's pumpkin pie. All of the ones available said "pre-baked" and only required 25 minutes of bake time. They didn't use to be that way - they were not pre-baked and required 70 minutes of baking. I thought they were horrible, just nothing like they used to be. Did anyone else think the same thing?

We always get the pies that are on sale on Christmas and TG. THis year, only Mrs. Smith's prebaked were on sale--and yes, I don't think they are as good!

so the old kind are still available? The only ones I saw said "pre-baked." :confused: Soon they'll be selling "pre-eaten" pies that are just an empty box. I mean, come on, how easy does a frozen pie need to be?? :lol:

Do any of the grocers in your area sell ready-made pies? We've had the Costco pumpkin pie, and fruit pies from a local grocer. (I always bake my own pies; these were purchased by friends). But both both were very good alternatives to home-baked.

I'll have to look next year.

I make my own. Like a pp said, it is seriously easy. You can buy the premade crust instead of the pie at the store. You open a can of pumpkin, a can of evaporated milk (although you don't use the whole can) a few eggs, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir and pour into the crust. Bake for less than an hour. So easy, and so much better than a frozen.

Pumpkin pie only takes about 10 minutes, maybe less, to mix up and throw in a store bought graham cracker crust. Trust me, it's way tastier to make your own. And takes less than an hour to bake.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Just follow the directions on the pumpkin can. All you need is the pumpkin, some evaporated milk, some sugar, some eggs, and some spices. I use the Pumpkin Pie Spice (in lieu of the ones suggested on the can), and it's delicious (and even easier). You can use a store bought frozen crust if you don't want to make your own.

It really is easy, and SO much better than frozen!