Menu

Is it too early to start talking about vacation plans for 2011?

I know that most of us are still recovering from the holidays but I thought it'd be fun to start thinking about where we want to vacation in 2011. Anyone else interested in a bit of day dreaming and planning this afternoon? Usually my family does a few ski trips, a trip out east (Pennsylvania) to visit my parents, and a few camping trips. This year however we are going from two working full-time engineer salaries to starting a business. Eek. It might be a tight year for us income wise or a great year. Just can't tell.

If it's a great or even decent year then our trips will be:

Skiing in Breckenridge (already scheduled and paid for - this trip will happen at least)

Skiing in Salt Lake City

Camping near Alexandria, Minnesota

Camping in Texas

Camping in Kentucky

Camping at Table Rock Lake in Missouri

Go with my parents to Colonial Williamsburg for a week

Take the train to Chicago for the weekend

Does anyone else have some trips planned yet? Or hopeful trips that they are researching?

I booked our vacation months ago. We are going on a Caribbean cruise over spring break for my ds's 13th birthday. We all just got certified in scuba few months ago, so we are going to dive in Grand Cayman while we are there. Oh, and my bff and her son, who live far, far away, are coming with us too. I'm so excited.

Since it's next week, it's NOT too early! LOL!

We're going to NC for a few days, then up to VA for a few days and then to freeze our butts off at Colonial Williamsburg.

This year we are doing trips to:

Boston

Philly

Puero Rico

Maybe to San Diego (I haven't decided if I want to bother, now that our friends are moving to this coast)

Jersey Shore

Possibly another trip down to DC

Probably down to Hilton Head at some point

Possibly down to Florida

Plus we've got friends coming up here to do NYC now that they are back stateside so that will be at home vacations as well.

I've planned a cruise to Bermuda that leaves out of NY for June, but I think I'm going to cancel it. I usually cruise once a year, but I'm just feeling the need to tighten my belt this year, so I'll have to suck it up.

Still, I definitely want to take a vacation somewhere. I have enough airline miles for all three of us to fly for free, and hotel points to stay at least part of the time for free, so now I just have to figure out where to go! Under consideration:

New York (Blech. Hate it. But my girls really want to go there.)

DC and/or Williamsburg

Los Angeles (could be combined with a trip to my sister's, in Fresno, so that would cut down on lodging but I'd have to add a car rental)

Oregon (we visited my brother and his family there in October and they've invited us back next summer)

Which would you do?

P.S. To Krista in LA - Grand Cayman is BEAUTIFUL (in case you've never been there before), but the ships often have to skip it because it's a tender port and it's often windy. You may want to have a backup dive site plan just in case (and forgive me if you already know this).

Last week I booked a trip to Disney for the end of January. We have seasonal passes, so we are going there for four nights. We'll probably go to Disney several more times this year too.

Aside from that, I'm not sure. I'm sure we will go somewhere, but I don't have any plans yet. We usually go to the beach for a week in May with some cousins....but it's not planned yet.

Does anyone else have some trips planned yet? Or hopeful trips that they are researching?

I'm excited for this year! My in-laws are planning a trip to Alaska, so we might go up there in late June. If so, I will probably cancel a trip to Michigan to visit my Aunt. :o

In November, I am going to Mexico with a good friend from College! I'm excited, I really haven't seen her much since college.

I'm also going to take some camping trips and weekend trips. Next year is the last year my oldest will be at home.

Our vacations are mostly planned as well for 2011.

In early March we are going to Disney for 14dd's Make a Wish trip for a week. The kids have never flown, we have never been to Disney, etc. so they are all super excited.

Then in late August we will "vacation" by camping at the fair grounds while 14dd shows her horse there and both girls show rabbits and chickens. It really is a fun and very laid back week and very low cost--$50 for week of camping and then we eat at the trailer and/or potluck the rest of the time with other 4H families.

Then in later September we will be heading to Orlando again for 15dd's Make A Wish trip. Her wish is to swim with and train the dolphins so she will be a trainer for the day at Discovery Cove and then the rest of the week will be other local attractions.

Not sure if we will do anything else or not but we might get in a day or 2 of camping here and there.

We're going to FL in SIX days!!!!! Disney marathon and a Disney vacation!!!! Woohoo!

August/September - we're going to Phoenix to spend time with the in-laws. Then, on to LA for DISNEYLAND!! and a Mexican Riviera Cruise.

October - Mackinac Island. We get to stay at the Grand Hotel! We do this every other year and LOVE it!!!

We're already planning 2012! We're thinking a Hawaiian cruise. Maybe Alaska. But definitely a cruise. Oh - and we're definitely going on Oasis of the Seas in January 2012.

Edited by Jennifer in MI

I'

New York (Blech. Hate it. But my girls really want to go there.)

DC and/or Williamsburg

Los Angeles (could be combined with a trip to my sister's, in Fresno, so that would cut down on lodging but I'd have to add a car rental)

Oregon (we visited my brother and his family there in October and they've invited us back next summer)

W).

Hmmmm . . . I LOVED Oregon. So, I'd go there.

But, DC/Williamsburg is also a fun trip. There's SO much to see!

Wow, you guys have some nice trips planned! DH only gets 2 weeks off so I will have to spread that around some. We are hoping for our very first WDW trip in early Dec (after Christmas decor is put up). That will be the biggie and will take one whole week of his time off. We always go to a cabin in the summer, so we will do that too. Not sure what else. There isn't much that's driving distance from Central TX so we always have to factor in airfare and that makes everything more expensive. I am hoping my mom will plan a trip to a condo in either Sedona or Phoenix and we will go meet them there. That's about it, but looking forward to it all!

Thinking of hitting the Pocono mountains in Feb to visit with family. Great hunting cabin; great time for snow tubing, but it will all depend on the weather.

We are planning to go back to St Louis in Sept to visit my brother. I'm thinking of taking a few days to head up to the Amana Colonies in Iowa, and hit the John Deere place in Illinois.

We are planning to go to Universal Orlando to the Harry Potter Wizarding World sometime this year and then from there go on to my FIL's on the Gulf coast. Last year we went to FL in September and it was great. So maybe September. That will be our big trip since we anticipate buying LOADS of souvenirs from Harry Potter world :lol:

Nothing set in stone yet but...

-Almost certainly West Virginia to visit family in March

-Sometime in the spring a 3-4 day weekend to go camping with friends.

-June-July, a 5 week trip to Brazil for me. This is only if I win the scholarship, but i'm staying optimistic. I'll be taking Portuguese classes plus living with a homestay family.

-In August we will probably go back to WVa, this time to our cabin in the mountains.

-My best friend and I have been talking about going to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in NYC this year, but we'll see.

Last year we took a 3+ week road trip from Arizona to Minnesota to California and back to AZ. Hopefully this summer we will get away for about 5-6 weeks and go to Idaho, then Minnesota and back to Arizona. This time in our motorhome though and not a tent trailer. We are also hoping to fit in a week long trip to Disneyland. We will see what happens!