Menu

My 8 yo Just doesn't get math and I feel like I have failed her

parias1126

We have used MUS, Singapore, Horizons, McRuffy, and now CLE. MUS was working in that she understood it as it was presented, but as time went on, it was forgotten after a coulple weeks. I left MUS last year because she had so many gaps (she couldn't tell time, count money, hadn't learned geometry or fractions) and I was concerned. The next book was multiplication, but she is definitely not ready for that yet. Horizons and Singapore moved way too fast. McRuffy skipped around so much that she was completely confused.

We have been doing okay with CLE, but she still doesn't get it. She adds instead of subracts constantly. She was fine with MUS because if you were learning how to subtract in the lesson it stuck to subtracting for the most part. She couldn't tell me what 10's came before and after 76. When she finally got it, it was impossible to go right back to what number comes immediately before and after 38. Four pages a day is a lot for a child that gets so easily frustrated. It took her 2 hours total to finish her math today (with list of breaks) I felt like we were doing math all day.

My 6 yo DS is using CLE also, but has already caught up to her. I have already had her repeat 2nd grade this year Amd it's still not clicking half way through the year. I have contacted the public school because I wanted to see if there was sone type of disability. After meeting with then 4 times, they say they can't diagnose a disability but can tell me what grade level she is working at. They tested her and say she is mid 1st grade according to the public school curricula. They are going to meet with us again after the holidays to see if there is going to be an IEP in place, but can't do anything for her as a homeschooler unless there are speech issues (which there definitely aren't). They would give her the one on one help she needs only if I register her.

I'm at my wits end. I have tried everything I can and am just so frustrated myself. I am honestly thinking about putting her in the public school which is against everything I believe after everything I have been through with the public school system. I feel like I have failed her and feel like a failure myself.

My oldest DD had the same problems for years and I never could get help from the PS so I homeschooled her from 3rd grade. She graduated as a homeschooler, but still never received all the math she would have needed to attend college. She did algebra 1 for 2 years and still doesn't get it unless she has someone guiding her through step by step. I have just gone through this for so many years and it's all repeating itself with DD2. I just dont have the energy anymore. :(

My dd was very similar until we switched to Teaching Textbooks. Now she loves math, she does good in it because the explanations are so thorough, and I'm no longer pulling my hair out. I really think TT is awesome! Hey, if my kid was great in Singapore, I'd use that, but TT is a perfect fit and I'm one to use what works. :D Have you tried sitting her in front of the sample chapters on-line? She might surprise you!

My ds 7 is getting math for the first time, and is even experimenting with multiplication, all because I switched to Math Mammoth. If your dc is a big picture kind of gal like my little guy is, she'll need to get the conceptual explanation and drill built into MM. The drill i'm talking about are the online computer games my ds enjoys after he's completed at least one page of MM. He still complains about completing a page, because he has to exert some effort, but he is understanding, whereas previously it was just coasting and not having real understanding. MM offers a whole slew of sample pages you can try. Good luck!

Sounds like MUS was working. You have to remember that the scope and sequence of MUS is different from a lot of other programs but that it does eventually cover everything. Instead of switching away from it, why not add in some supplements to it instead of switch to a whole new program?

Also, you gave a list of things you were concerned about her not having learned yet (time, money, fractions, geometry) but then say she's not ready for multiplication. That confuses me. Why do you think she'd be ready for all of those things but not multiplication? Maybe you're jumping ship on these curriculum way too soon and not giving any of them enough of a chance? You've listed 5 different programs you've tried and given up on for an 8 year old. Sounds like you need to make a decision about a program and buckle down and stick to it. This much switching around will probably just frustrate and confuse her.

First off...:grouphug:. I know exactly what you are going through with math! Do the following....

1. Sit down

2. Close your eyes

3. Take a huge deep breath

4. Tell yourself that your an awesome homeschool mom and this WILL work out.

Now, with that said. I am a firm believer that if you push math too soon prior to when your child is ready for math, it will be a disaster. I had the urge to put my son back in school because of this, and I did, and it was an even more disaster! I would recommend NOT doing math for hours at a time, it will just make her more frustrated and you will be chasing your tail so to speak. I think you should literally start over with MUS. Start back at Alpha and take it really slow. Dont feel like it will put you even further behind. The truth is...until the foundations are set, you really wont be able to move forward. Go at her pace. This will allow her to focus more on the basics and also build her self esteem/confidence and not feel so "unable to get it". I say this because this is what I have done with my 10 year old. Yes, I have a 10 year ds just finishing up Alpha and for the first time, he gets it. We have plenty of time to get through all the books and what he needs and your dd is even younger. If you feel yourself getting frustrated, take a break so she doesnt sense it. Try not to panic...you can so this! :grouphug:

Edited by colleenebeans

If it makes you feel any better it wasn't until after the 1960's that math was even taught before 3rd grade. Some kids can start earlier some can not. We are using Professor B for dd7 and working mostly on learning her facts. If this is all she accomplishes in the 2nd grade I will be happy. I plan to start her with Practical Arth. from Strayer Upton next year and it is recommended to start in 3rd grade. It does a great job of teaching the concepts along with the facts. I do agree that to much skipping around will cause gaps. All 3 of my girls use different programs because they are different. I have two in 5th grade and one is using TT and the other BJU. I can tell you that even though they are the same grade level they cover many different topics. If you find one that she is learning from then you should probably stick with that one and by the end all gaps will be covered. She is still young and I think you shouldn't stress yourself out over it. Find one and stick to it and maybe supplement some if you feel there are topics not being covered well. Even though dd11 is doing BJU 5th we find alot of things she must back up to a 3rd grade level. This is because PS did not lay the foundations she needs. We will only make it through 1/2 of the book this year but for her that is great! What she has learned she has really learned. Not just glossed over. Just relax you have plenty of time! Get her a good foundation on her basic facts and move from there. Good Luck!!!

We have used MUS, Singapore, Horizons, McRuffy, and now CLE. MUS was working in that she understood it as it was presented, but as time went on, it was forgotten after a coulple weeks. I left MUS last year because she had so many gaps (she couldn't tell time, count money, hadn't learned geometry or fractions) and I was concerned. The next book was multiplication, but she is definitely not ready for that yet. Horizons and Singapore moved way too fast. McRuffy skipped around so much that she was completely confused.

We have been doing okay with CLE, but she still doesn't get it. She adds instead of subracts constantly. She was fine with MUS because if you were learning how to subtract in the lesson it stuck to subtracting for the most part. She couldn't tell me what 10's came before and after 76. When she finally got it, it was impossible to go right back to what number comes immediately before and after 38. Four pages a day is a lot for a child that gets so easily frustrated. It took her 2 hours total to finish her math today (with list of breaks) I felt like we were doing math all day.

My 6 yo DS is using CLE also, but has already caught up to her. I have already had her repeat 2nd grade this year Amd it's still not clicking half way through the year. I have contacted the public school because I wanted to see if there was sone type of disability. After meeting with then 4 times, they say they can't diagnose a disability but can tell me what grade level she is working at. They tested her and say she is mid 1st grade according to the public school curricula. They are going to meet with us again after the holidays to see if there is going to be an IEP in place, but can't do anything for her as a homeschooler unless there are speech issues (which there definitely aren't). They would give her the one on one help she needs only if I register her.

I'm at my wits end. I have tried everything I can and am just so frustrated myself. I am honestly thinking about putting her in the public school which is against everything I believe after everything I have been through with the public school system. I feel like I have failed her and feel like a failure myself.

My oldest DD had the same problems for years and I never could get help from the PS so I homeschooled her from 3rd grade. She graduated as a homeschooler, but still never received all the math she would have needed to attend college. She did algebra 1 for 2 years and still doesn't get it unless she has someone guiding her through step by step. I have just gone through this for so many years and it's all repeating itself with DD2. I just dont have the energy anymore. :(

Well, I am by no means an expert in math; it's my weakness (I only had General Math in 9th grade and that was all the math I had to take in PS). I have tried many, many programs over the years for my kids. Someone suggested Teaching Textbooks. While I like that program, and I think I will be trying it with my son, I don't think your dd is old enough to start it yet; it starts at 3rd grade and she is working at 1st grade level.

One thing to think about is do you think she does better with a spiral program or a mastery program? To me (from the little info I've gotten in your post) it sounds like mastery is the better approach. Spiral will skip around from concept to concept. The Singapore, Horizons, McRuffy and CLE are all spiral. I tried CLE with my son and then realized it was enough to make his head spin; all the variety on the page. Variety is not always the spice of life. Some kids can not handle that and it gets overwhelming and confusing. MUS is more mastery, and it seemed to be working for awhile. I know that you probably don't want to think of trying another math program, but off all the maths we have used...the one I keep thinking to recommend to you is Mastering Mathematics. You can start right at the beginnning....the Attacking Addition book. Look at the samples at the website and see what you think. The pages are uncluttered, with larger space. Each book focuses on one topic; so it's mastery not spiral.

And, in reference to the words you said above that I put in bold....I don't think putting her in PS is going to help (and you said it didn't help with oldest dd). It might even be worse because she won't have the one-on-one that you can give her and I can see her getting even farther behind as her class advances. They won't wait for her to catch up. Or....they'll put her in a class where she's the oldest and she'll possibly still struggle. I know it's frustrating and there's no easy answer. I had to realize recently that if my son can get the basics in math, and hopefully even get through pre-algebra, that I'll have to just be satisfied with that. If he can accomplish that, he'll have more math than I ever had. It's not ideal....but with a kid who struggles, what can you expect?

Edited by ~AprilMay~

She sounds just like my oldest. I really think that the Bluedorns have something there. www.triviumpursuit.com They really don't think math should be formally taught before age 10. Having said that my daughter has done well with CLE. She needs the constant drill to retain anything. Do you use the flashcards with her? Second grade was where we had to re-do a whole year of work because she still hadn't 'got' it. Subtraction is still a struggle for her but I know she 'gets' it now.

I'm one of those people who never really 'got' algebra either and I think the reason was that I didn't master those initial building blocks of addition, subtraction, multipliction and division. Please don't let yourself feel pressure! Work slowly through whatever material you have until there is understanding, then progress. Your daughter is an individual with different strengths and weaknesses. Just work at her pace. Doing each lesson twice may work for her until it is cemented in her brain.

I personally wouldn't get the school involved any further. Have confidence in yourself! It may be she is just not 'ready' yet. Please read this article from the Bluedorns http://www.triviumpursuit.com/articles/the_grammar_level.php

They explain about delaying formal math.

I have homeschooled for ten years. With my oldest I started out with MUS. I thought it was weird, because that isn't how I learned math. I then went on a Math search frenzy and tried .....8 different programs, eventually returning to MUS. My dd is a senior now and ready for College Algebra... finally.

Now I have a 7 yo really struggling in Public School. He went to K last year and did fine, but first grade is really a step up. The teacher labeled him a trouble maker, and doesn't have time to sit one on one with him. I have had three conferences, and they all blame him. So, I will be pulling him back out and starting with MUS Alpha. I have BJU and singapore in case it doesn't work, but from my experience, MUS really does teach well. You just have to stick with it, not change, and realize that the scope and sequence is very different with MUS. My 13 yo dd has been using MUS since first grade, but I tried to switch her to Teaching Textbooks this year and she did well for the first 30 lessons but then hit a road block. She missed the way MUS taught her and she didn't like moving so fast through new concepts. So, I have to back up to Epsilon with her now.

Parias--I'm with the others that you need to return to MUS, since that was the only thing you have used that created understanding in her. MUS has additional practice worksheets. You may need to print some of those or find a daily math review (a small amount, nothing huge) to keep her other things fresh. Abeka makes a pleasant drill book for each level that is a nice amount of spiral review. It would take about 5 minutes a day. Or Evan Moor makes a daily math review workbook. Just something like that.

You're going to need to go private to get the evaluations you want. A neuropsych could evaluate her thoroughly. It's a little pricey, but they'd look for everything (processing, IQ, neurological problems, ADD/ADHD, etc. etc.). Or you could try to unravel the yarn ball yourself. For instance, if she's not noticing the addition and subtraction signs, then a vision evaluation might be warranted. You could go to a developmental optometrist, let them do a regular exam and just screen for deeper problems. If they find signs of more, then evaluate further. Otherwise the exam price was just the same as any other eye doc, just with a doc who could go further if it was warranted. I'd DEFINITELY do that. Can't hurt, may turn up something. Our dev. optom. practice also does PACE cognitive therapy and as part of that will do a free screening. They use it to show how much progress you might make with their therapy, but again it might be something where you'd learn some things.

My dd was very similar until we switched to Teaching Textbooks. Now she loves math, she does good in it because the explanations are so thorough, and I'm no longer pulling my hair out. I really think TT is awesome! Hey, if my kid was great in Singapore, I'd use that, but TT is a perfect fit and I'm one to use what works. :D Have you tried sitting her in front of the sample chapters on-line? She might surprise you!

I used TT for my oldest who and the same problems for Prealgebra and Algebra and she didn't understand anything and was still lost after 2 years. I'm wondering if it's different for the younger grades, but I didnt realize they had 2nd grade now.

My sons love MUS. We are in Alpha because they just didn't like bouncing around...

As for your concerns about being behind, please tell me you are not comparing her to the ps kids....my friends talk of their ps 2nd/3rd graders doing algebra and geometry....big deal when it comes to adding and subtracting mine have them hands down on speed. Without the great foundation those algebra and geometry skills will falter eventually.

Sounds like MUS was working. You have to remember that the scope and sequence of MUS is different from a lot of other programs but that it does eventually cover everything. Instead of switching away from it, why not add in some supplements to it instead of switch to a whole new program?

Also, you gave a list of things you were concerned about her not having learned yet (time, money, fractions, geometry) but then say she's not ready for multiplication. That confuses me. Why do you think she'd be ready for all of those things but not multiplication? Maybe you're jumping ship on these curriculum way too soon and not giving any of them enough of a chance? You've listed 5 different programs you've tried and given up on for an 8 year old. Sounds like you need to make a decision about a program and buckle down and stick to it. This much switching around will probably just frustrate and confuse her.

I switched because most were moving way too fast. Singapre and Horizons namely. She is finally getting telling time, she is very good at fractions, and is starting to count money now finally. I have tried yo introduce her to multiplication and then when we go back to adding and subtracting, she can't do it. It's going from one type of math to the other that she can't do. If she is adding, it had to be consistent, as with subtracting, clocks, etc.

I didnt add supplements to MUS because that is too much math for her and she shuts down. On some days last year, she could complete a half page of MUS without breaking down. I would out a time limit of 20 minutes on math because she was 7 yo. This year using CLE, in 15/20 minutes she wouldn't even have 1 of the 4 pages done.

So your saying I should have stuck with those other curriculums even though she was extremely frustrated. With Singapore, she literally could not even move on. MUS I used for 2 years and that was the majority of what she learned from. She used Horizons all through her K year, Singapore half way through 1st until she couldn't do it anymore, then MUS half of 1st, all of 2nd and worked through the summer to complete the 2 nd book before switching to CLE. People switch math programs all the time when they aren't working. That's the beauty of homeschooling. I posted here because I was frustrated and needs some support. I didn't post to be critized because I have switched math curriculums and it's my fault as to why she is so frustrated and not getting it.

Sorry if I sound snarky, but I honestly need some suggestions, not criticism. I'm really in a bad spot and need some support.

I used TT for my oldest who and the same problems for Prealgebra and Algebra and she didn't understand anything and was still lost after 2 years. I'm wondering if it's different for the younger grades, but I didnt realize they had 2nd grade now.

3rd grade is the youngest grade level they have. I wonder if they'll be making any others?

First off...:grouphug:. I know exactly what you are going through with math! Do the following....

1. Sit down

2. Close your eyes

3. Take a huge deep breath

4. Tell yourself that your an awesome homeschool mom and this WILL work out.

Now, with that said. I am a firm believer that if you push math too soon prior to when your child is ready for math, it will be a disaster. I had the urge to put my son back in school because of this, and I did, and it was an even more disaster! I would recommend NOT doing math for hours at a time, it will just make her more frustrated and you will be chasing your tail so to speak. I think you should literally start over with MUS. Start back at Alpha and take it really slow. Dont feel like it will put you even further behind. The truth is...until the foundations are set, you really wont be able to move forward. Go at her pace. This will allow her to focus more on the basics and also build her self esteem/confidence and not feel so "unable to get it". I say this because this is what I have done with my 10 year old. Yes, I have a 10 year ds just finishing up Alpha and for the first time, he gets it. We have plenty of time to get through all the books and what he needs and your dd is even younger. If you feel yourself getting frustrated, take a break so she doesnt sense it. Try not to panic...you can so this! :grouphug:

This sounds like a great idea. I just always worry that she is getting further behind and she is always so concerned that my DS6 is catching up to her. This is one of the biggest problem in our house. I could probably go through Alpha and Beta again and be done before the year is over and maybe she will be ready for Gamma. The best part is I already have it all here. My only concern is what happens when she isn't retaining the information again. It works and she gets it, it's just retention that's the problem.

People switch math programs all the time when they aren't working. That's the beauty of homeschooling. I posted here because I was frustrated and needs some support. I didn't post to be critized because I have switched math curriculums and it's my fault as to why she is so frustrated and not getting it.

Sorry if I sound snarky, but I honestly need some suggestions, not criticism. I'm really in a bad spot and need some support.

Yes...you need to find out what will work. How else will you know unless you don't keep trying something different? I really encourage you to look at those samples of Mastering Mathematics. As for switching....I can't even count on two hands how many math programs we have tried over the years (....shhhh...don't tell anyone, but I think it's up to 12 or 13 now!). :lol: :blushing: :tongue_smilie:

I hope you don't feel criticized. It sounds to me that you are a mom who loves her daughter very much and is worried about giving her the best education you can. I hope I did not say anything to make you feel differently. As good moms we are always on the look out for what is best and it is hard to stick with something when we see our kids frustrated. I think you know her best and should do what works best for her. I will say that the skills you listed that she is already good at are nothing to sneeze at. All I would want to say is that she is still young and although alot of people believe we must teach our children all of this at a young age (and that works for some) I want my girls to enjoy what they are learning. If that means they don't start until later or can't match up with every skill of the PS, I am fine with that. Look at it this way at 8 you still have at least another 10 years to teach her all the math she needs for college or life. Find what works for you and her and rest easy in the fact that you ARE providing her with a good education. I can assure you it will be better than anything PS will provide.

Do you have a sense of WHY the math is taking so long? There's an actual diagnosis of dyscalculia you know. Is she losing focus at all? Are you working with her or having to go work with your 6 yo during that time? If I leave my dd AT ALL during math, it takes much longer (insert eyes rolling, groans, etc.). It's just part of the mix. We've done lots of fact drill, LOTS of it over the years, and I know what you mean about not having time or endurance with the dc to do more. The other thing you can do is break it into sessions and sort of disguise it. So you have 5-10 minutes of drill in the morning, but you don't call it that. You just say let's play a game or let's do this cool code worksheet. (I'll have to find those for you, really neat!)

The other thing that struck me is that she's 7. Maybe it would be more helpful to you to think of her as a 1st grader? Children turn 7 in 1st grade. You said she's testing as functioning on a 1st grade level. It's just one more thing to think about. That competition thing is hard. Can you put your younger in another curriculum, something different from what you are doing with dd7? If the dd6 can do well with ANY curriculum, than she can be more flexible.

I don't think anyone meant to criticize you. Sometimes jumping is a problem. As you say, you were just trying to be more flexible. Is the math you're doing using any manipulatives? Your dd is still at a prime age for manipulatives, and I would definitely add those to whatever you're doing. We did RightStart for years, and the manipulatives for that are fabulous. Oh duh, you did MUS. Are you having her actually use the rods during her CLE time? Many kids don't visualize well and need to work on that.

Try breaking your math into a few short sessions and see if that helps. When my dd was at that stage we'd do 3 different sessions to get to a total of 30-35 minutes.

Found them! They're math mosaics. http://www.mindware.com/p/Multiplication-Mosaics/17157

BTW, one of the things I learned with my dd is that she is a social learner. She learns better with context, with a story, with a reason or a meaning. She especially learns well if it involves people and family relationships. Some people just don't learn isolated stuff. There are some fact drill approaches that try to put math into stories with visualization. I got this one "Memorize in Minutes, the Times Tables" from our library, but there are others (Times Tales, etc.).

Edited by OhElizabeth

Well, I am by no means an expert in math; it's my weakness (I only had General Math in 9th grade and that was all the math I had to take in PS). I have tried many, many programs over the years for my kids. Someone suggested Teaching Textbooks. While I like that program, and I think I will be trying it with my son, I don't think your dd is old enough to start it yet; it starts at 3rd grade and she is working at 1st grade level.

One thing to think about is do you think she does better with a spiral program or a mastery program? To me (from the little info I've gotten in your post) it sounds like mastery is the better approach. Spiral will skip around from concept to concept. The Singapore, Horizons, McRuffy and CLE are all spiral. I tried CLE with my son and then realized it was enough to make his head spin; all the variety on the page. Variety is not always the spice of life. Some kids can not handle that and it gets overwhelming and confusing. MUS is more mastery, and it seemed to be working for awhile. I know that you probably don't want to think of trying another math program, but off all the maths we have used...the one I keep thinking to recommend to you is Mastering Mathematics. You can start right at the beginnning....the Attacking Addition book. Look at the samples at the website and see what you think. The pages are uncluttered, with larger space. Each book focuses on one topic; so it's mastery not spiral.

And, in reference to the words you said above that I put in bold....I don't think putting her in PS is going to help (and you said it didn't help with oldest dd). It might even be worse because she won't have the one-on-one that you can give her and I can see her getting even farther behind as her class advances. They won't wait for her to catch up. Or....they'll put her in a class where she's the oldest and she'll possibly still struggle. I know it's frustrating and there's no easy answer. I had to realize recently that if my son can get the basics in math, and hopefully even get through pre-algebra, that I'll have to just be satisfied with that. If he can accomplish that, he'll have more math than I ever had. It's not ideal....but with a kid who struggles, what can you expect? [/quote

That is really one of my biggest concerns: that she doesn't end up with enough math in high school at this rate. It really seems as though she is at a stand still. Some days (like yesterday) she had a bad math day. Today she started her math 15 minutes ago and has 1 page left in her CLE. She is working independently today and I haven't looked at it yet so im unsure of how she has done yet, but I'm glad she has the confidence with CLE to work independently.

I guess it's not so bad if she doesn't get all the math she needs, but I wasn't planning on homeschooling through high school again. I had planned on doing it until 6th or 8th grade with my younger 3. I guess i might have her home with me longer then expected. I do know putting her in the PS would be a mistake. I was to the point of tears when I posted so late last night. My oldest never got all her math so I graduated her so that she could continue at the college. She starts her remedial classes next month so I do know there is always a way.

Parias--I'm with the others that you need to return to MUS, since that was the only thing you have used that created understanding in her. MUS has additional practice worksheets. You may need to print some of those or find a daily math review (a small amount, nothing huge) to keep her other things fresh. Abeka makes a pleasant drill book for each level that is a nice amount of spiral review. It would take about 5 minutes a day. Or Evan Moor makes a daily math review workbook. Just something like that.

You're going to need to go private to get the evaluations you want. A neuropsych could evaluate her thoroughly. It's a little pricey, but they'd look for everything (processing, IQ, neurological problems, ADD/ADHD, etc. etc.). Or you could try to unravel the yarn ball yourself. For instance, if she's not noticing the addition and subtraction signs, then a vision evaluation might be warranted. You could go to a developmental optometrist, let them do a regular exam and just screen for deeper problems. If they find signs of more, then evaluate further. Otherwise the exam price was just the same as any other eye doc, just with a doc who could go further if it was warranted. I'd DEFINITELY do that. Can't hurt, may turn up something. Our dev. optom. practice also does PACE cognitive therapy and as part of that will do a free screening. They use it to show how much progress you might make with their therapy, but again it might be something where you'd learn some things.

:iagree:Really, really.

The following is not meant as criticism, and it's from a mom who has been there with dc with their own challenges: It sounds like the ps evaluation didn't happen the way it should have, and you should get her evaluated privately if there's anyway you can manage it. If your dd is frequently misreading plus and minus signs that's a clue something is going on. It's better to get answers sooner rather than later. The struggle you're having over math could affect her attitude towards her education and her feelings about herself, not to mention your relationship. All have far-reaching consequences. It's obvious you love her. An evaluation would point you in the direction of how best to help her, or, at least, give you peace of mind.

I hope this doesn't sound too heavy. I know you were only looking for advice on a math program.:001_smile:

This sounds like a great idea. I just always worry that she is getting further behind and she is always so concerned that my DS6 is catching up to her. This is one of the biggest problem in our house.

I agree with the others that it sounds like MUS is her best fit. You only switched because the scope and sequence was different, right? So switch back. Everything will be covered, but just not the same order as some curriculum. It's ok if she learns time and money in a different year than children using other curriculum. The goal is to learn time and money at some point, and it sounds like MUS does have it covered.

For the issue of the sibling catching up, can you put him in a different curriculum so it's not as obvious that he's catching up?

Remedial class? I missed it, what remedial class is she doing? They haven't even identified her PROBLEM, but they're going to remediate her??? I would make sure she's expending her energy in a focused way. It's not like a child this age can do 3 hours of math a day or something.

Do you know that at a neuropsych evaluation they will actually give you a long, detailed report on HOW TO TEACH THE CHILD? Seriously. They tell you the problems, and they tell you what to do about it! So there is someone who could help you. And by the time you buy lots of curriculum that doesn't fit (btdt), you could have paid for the evaluation. Sometimes it's about knowing how the dc's brain things and how to tweak what you're using. For instance, I wouldn't leave her by herself if she's doing slowly. She's confident? Cool. She sits at the table in the kitchen while you do dishes. But you're right there. And you have her use the blocks for all her problems. And you have her set the timer and take breaks. And you add in some little drill things with real objects or Times Tales or kinesthetic things (chanting facts while jumping on a mini-trampoline). The evaluation can tell you how her brain is thinking and in what ways you need to get things out of the box. Almost nothing, straight out of the box, fits a kid with learning differences.

With your gut telling you there are learning differences, I definitely would pursue a private evaluation.

Oh, and the holidays are a bad time for math anyway. You said she's at a standstill. Is that this week or this month? They get tired before growth spurts and then do better after they sprout. If she's been eating a lot of junk over the holidays, she may not be herself. She may have some unidentified food allergies or just need a bit of time to get back to normal. I think we all do. :)

MUS has a different sequence, but it is all in there. Telling time is in the back of Alpha. Money is covered in Gamma when you learn to skip count 5's and 10's ...., Fractions get there own book (Epsilon). The ps calls learning area "geometry". MUS does that in Gamma. PS calls problems like __ + 5 = 10 "algebra". Your dd did that in Alpha.

She did get money and telling time with MUS, but it just wasn't enough. She didn't really get it until just recently with CLE because it is taught over and over and she is getting it everyday.

If it makes you feel better..my 9 yr old dd is just finishing her 1st grade math book. She has low working memory, she has been receiving services through the school district for speech (APD etc) and we just had her tested again, The school district did a WISC IV and the Woodcock Johnson. I did a Visual Processing test through a developmental Opthomologist. Both testing showed she has low visual and auditory memory as well as other things. Won't your school district do the WISC IV at least?

We are now doing VT and I am getting resource room at the local public school (extra tutoring). My advice is to keep doing your math program everyday (even if it feels like Groundshog day like it does here) and then use a program like MathWhiz or get a tutor or teenager to help in the afternoon, just to keep you from burnout. I plan on just going at my dtr's speed. It is not you or the program..it is the skill set the child was given..and they need to work at their potential. Believe me it was killing me working with my dtr, I finally got her reading at a 1st grad level. The best thing I did was to get a second party involved to help me. In my case it was the PS and they have been great. They see the same things as me so I know it isn't my curriculum. But the special ed teacher is used to working with kids like this that she puts it all in perspective for me. She is calmer and more detached from the child (a good thing) and they play lots of games. Maybe if you could lift the burden with having someone come in and tutor or play math games? I know it can get expensive (I pay alot for VT) so I used the PS for tutoring...just my 2 cents.

:iagree:Really, really.

The following is not meant as criticism, and it's from a mom who has been there with dc with their own challenges: It sounds like the ps evaluation didn't happen the way it should have, and you should get her evaluated privately if there's anyway you can manage it. If your dd is frequently misreading plus and minus signs that's a clue something is going on. It's better to get answers sooner rather than later. The struggle you're having over math could affect her attitude towards her education and her feelings about herself, not to mention your relationship. All have far-reaching consequences. It's obvious you love her. An evaluation would point you in the direction of how best to help her, or, at least, give you peace of mind.

I hope this doesn't sound too heavy. I know you were only looking for advice on a math program.:001_smile:

Not just advice on a math program but advice in general really. I would love to get her evaluated, but have no idea where to start. We don't have health insurance at the present time so it's difficult. Where would I go for an evaluation of this type?

This working memory is an interesting thing! My dd has issues with it too. It's like how many watermelons or juggling balls they can carry at once. So they start to do their math, and something drops. They forget what step they were in or what number they were carrying, because literally they can't juggle that many things at once.

For my dd, all the visual methods of memorizing facts totally flopped because she needed VT first. Now we're going to go back and do them. She still doesn't visualize well, but at least her eyes are working well enough that it can improve if we try. I didn't realize how much of our math was relying on visual memory and visualization, which were poor in her. It's no wonder the facts wouldn't stick!

http://www.covd.org Do a doctor search and see if there's a Fellow in your area. I'd be willing to drive 2-3 hours if need be. Some places have financial aid, payment plans, or discounted services based on income. And as I said earlier, a developmental optometrist can do a regular exam, same price as any other place, screen, and only do the more thorough exam if warranted. So that would give you a start. Our dev. optometrist screened for bilaterality issues and other things and referred us off to other places.

Not just advice on a math program but advice in general really. I would love to get her evaluated, but have no idea where to start. We don't have health insurance at the present time so it's difficult. Where would I go for an evaluation of this type?

Not sure of your location but you can always check Universities that are in your state. In Florida we have UF and FSU both have programs that offer the testing in many different levels. You can start by asking your Pediatrician for their recommendations. In some areas there are private licensed people who offer the testing also. Just a bit to give you a place to start.

She is only 7 ??

Most well developed countries , including those that are ones of the best in math (Singapore, Norway ,Finland, etc) don't start any formal school until 7 !

They understand the child is not ready. Yet they score first , especially in later years (8th-12 gr).

Give her time . Combine some math programs and see what works best.

I have a son w/ special needs. CLE + some Singapore + MUS (videos only) works best for him. He is even a little above grade level now. I really think CLE has helped him the most to master facts . If CLE doesn't work, try something else but don't give up!

Do you have a sense of WHY the math is taking so long? There's an actual diagnosis of dyscalculia you know. Is she losing focus at all? Are you working with her or having to go work with your 6 yo during that time? If I leave my dd AT ALL during math, it takes much longer (insert eyes rolling, groans, etc.). It's just part of the mix. We've done lots of fact drill, LOTS of it over the years, and I know what you mean about not having time or endurance with the dc to do more. The other thing you can do is break it into sessions and sort of disguise it. So you have 5-10 minutes of drill in the morning, but you don't call it that. You just say let's play a game or let's do this cool code worksheet. (I'll have to find those for you, really neat!)

The other thing that struck me is that she's 7. Maybe it would be more helpful to you to think of her as a 1st grader? Children turn 7 in 1st grade. You said she's testing as functioning on a 1st grade level. It's just one more thing to think about. That competition thing is hard. Can you put your younger in another curriculum, something different from what you are doing with dd7? If the dd6 can do well with ANY curriculum, than she can be more flexible.

I don't think anyone meant to criticize you. Sometimes jumping is a problem. As you say, you were just trying to be more flexible. Is the math you're doing using any manipulatives? Your dd is still at a prime age for manipulatives, and I would definitely add those to whatever you're doing. We did RightStart for years, and the manipulatives for that are fabulous. Oh duh, you did MUS. Are you having her actually use the rods during her CLE time? Many kids don't visualize well and need to work on that.

Try breaking your math into a few short sessions and see if that helps. When my dd was at that stage we'd do 3 different sessions to get to a total of 30-35 minutes.

Found them! They're math mosaics. http://www.mindware.com/p/Multiplication-Mosaics/17157

BTW, one of the things I learned with my dd is that she is a social learner. She learns better with context, with a story, with a reason or a meaning. She especially learns well if it involves people and family relationships. Some people just don't learn isolated stuff. There are some fact drill approaches that try to put math into stories with visualization. I got this one "Memorize in Minutes, the Times Tables" from our library, but there are others (Times Tales, etc.).

I usually always sit with her while doing math. My DS6 usually always does his math independently. It gives me the extra time I need with DD. She is actually 8 which is why I didn't have a problem redoing 2nd grade. She started school the day of her 5th birthday (she went to K in the PS which only lasted 3 months before bringing her home).

I checked out the math mosaics and they look great as a supplement. I have already planned to pick up Times Tales when we start multiplication.

I have just found this thread and am reading with total interest! My dd is 8 and I held her back in K so, she is a second grader. She cannot add two numbers under 10. she cannot subtract at all and she only knows time to the half hour, but doesnt understand the concept of time at all. I too have tried 4 or a5 math programs. i continue to start her in K material. She is working through horizons K right now and needs me to help her with the addition portion. So... I get it. I am pulling my hair out. I know not to compare but, all the other kids had no trouble and my 6 year old has passed her by. Last year she couldnt read a thing and now she is on grade level, I am praying that she will click with Math as well and in the meantime I am just continuing to work through the basics. Maybe I will try MUS again as so many people are recommending it to you! I have Rightstart, MUS, Horizons, Singapore etc... She gets frustrated very easily as does your dd from what I read. I think she realizes that it isnt working for her. I worry about catching her up, but I guess its no big deal if we take our time, right..the beauty of homeschool? After all, she is home and if she was in school she would be working at frustration level all day long, being pulled from her fun things for remedial work etc. I will pray for you ... for peace and for a solution for you and your daughter.

Rebecca:grouphug:

http://www.covd.org Do a doctor search and see if there's a Fellow in your area. I'd be willing to drive 2-3 hours if need be. Some places have financial aid, payment plans, or discounted services based on income. And as I said earlier, a developmental optometrist can do a regular exam, same price as any other place, screen, and only do the more thorough exam if warranted. So that would give you a start. Our dev. optometrist screened for bilaterality issues and other things and referred us off to other places.

I did find a doctor through this site. He was way more then we could afford. I took her to an optometrist instead and it was found that she had astigmatism in her left eye, was very farsighted, and some focusing issues. She has had bifocals for about 6 months now and it has greatly improved her reading. She went from reading Frog and Toaf to reading much harder chapter books within two weeks of getting her glasses. She now blazes through her grammar. I bought R & S spelling last week and she wants to finish the whole lesson in a day. Her spelling was really hurting and even that is starting to come along with practice. It's just math at this point after getting glasses. Today she wrote 50 as 05. Yesterday 35 was 85. It's not so much with letters anymore, but mores with numbers.

When their eyes are off like that for so long, the visual processing that is supposed to develop doesn't. They aren't processing right because they aren't seeing right. If you absolutely can't afford a proper evaluation, someone on the special needs board had a link with a list of free VT exercises that were actually quite good. It's the therapy handbook for a VT doc.

Did you call that doc and ask about financial aid? Did you call other docs? Seriously, our place has a policy to turn no one away. They have sliding scales and more. It just varies from practice to practice.

There are specific things they do in VT that would fix the things she's dealing with in those number reversals. See if you can find that free file on the SN board or a doc who can work with you fiinancially.

I have to admit that I have only read through the first page of this.

My 8 year old son is having problems with Math too. I have been getting really frustrated. We have gone back to the beginning and all sorts.

I am going to look into Kumon, Sylvan and Math tutors and see if maybe this is one subject where I need to send him to someone else. I have found that with certain subjects, we do not click together. My husband does writing with my son, and they have a great time. When he and I sit down with the same material it is just horrible. I am wondering if the way his brain understands Math and the way mine (and my husbands) understand it are just really different. I am going to see if I can find someone that he can get it with.

Good luck and let me know if you find something that works.

Nicole

So your saying I should have stuck with those other curriculums even though she was extremely frustrated. With Singapore, she literally could not even move on. MUS I used for 2 years and that was the majority of what she learned from. She used Horizons all through her K year, Singapore half way through 1st until she couldn't do it anymore, then MUS half of 1st, all of 2nd and worked through the summer to complete the 2 nd book before switching to CLE. People switch math programs all the time when they aren't working. That's the beauty of homeschooling. I posted here because I was frustrated and needs some support. I didn't post to be critized because I have switched math curriculums and it's my fault as to why she is so frustrated and not getting it.

I'm not saying to stay with something that's clearly not a good fit, only that to have switched as many times as you have in such a short period of time can be detrimental. Sometimes when our kids get stuck on something we have to stay the course and keep working through it.

I've got a 10 yr. old dd who is dyslexic and struggles BIG TIME with math. We've been doing MUS for years but she too has hit road blocks. Instead of switching back and forth between different math programs, we take a step back and add in a supplement to help in those areas where she struggles. We keep doing MUS for the consistency (because I believe it's a solid program) and supplement along the way. I've used a lot of different supplements over the years and totally get your frustration. Here are just a few of things I've supplemented with over the years to help her really understand the concepts we were working on with MUS: Addition the Fun Way, math Wrap Ups, Times Tales, Right Start games, Right Start Abacus with Transitions lessons (this was a summer refresher), triangle flash cards, extra worksheets printed off the MUS website, math dice, played hours of Sum Swamp (board game), Math Shark, Multiplication Matrix, and now we supplement with Math Mammoth. We've used all of these things and probably a few others over the last 4-5 years but we do it all without jumping around from our main curriculum.

We don't spend hours doing math, but just do a bit of review every day (5 mins) and then onto our regular lesson. Every other week or so we do a big review of things we've learned in the past to keep them fresh and do a little re-teaching if necessary. I've found it's necessary to kind of make up her review as needed.

There are no perfect programs. I think it's vital though, to find one that is solid and stay with it. Hopping around to different curriculum, while well-meaning, can end up causing more damage in the long run. I'm sorry if I came across as being judgmental. I was just trying to help you see that you can achieve the results you want without causing the damage you don't want. Stay the course and keep working. It's difficult to have a child who doesn't do well in math. I think it's as much a struggle for us as it is for them. Good luck! :grouphug:

I haven't read all of the replies (yet) because I wanted to address a couple things before I forgot. ;) I have a horrible memory.

First off... :grouphug:

MUS is not designed for you to do one lesson in one day. From what I understand, you are supposed to spread those four pages of work over the entire week. So your 8 year old should not be doing 2 hours of math assignments in one day. She will definitely dread math and be math-phobic if that's what she has to do. I would, too! ;)

Also, have you thought about joining a charter school? You would be able to get help and possibly an IEP in place for your daughter (if that's what she needs) as you are a part of the public school system, but you can still homeschool. There are some fantastic charter schools out there that let you choose your own curriculum (what you think is best for your child) or you can get recommendations from an advisor.

Off to read the rest of the thread...

I haven't read all of the replies (yet) because I wanted to address a couple things before I forgot. ;) I have a horrible memory.

First off... :grouphug:

MUS is not designed for you to do one lesson in one day. From what I understand, you are supposed to spread those four pages of work over the entire week. So your 8 year old should not be doing 2 hours of math assignments in one day. She will definitely dread math and be math-phobic if that's what she has to do. I would, too! ;)

Also, have you thought about joining a charter school? You would be able to get help and possibly an IEP in place for your daughter (if that's what she needs) as you are a part of the public school system, but you can still homeschool. There are some fantastic charter schools out there that let you choose your own curriculum (what you think is best for your child) or you can get recommendations from an advisor.

Off to read the rest of the thread...

She isn't doing that much math with MUS. We are using CLE. When we used MUS, we did no more then 20-30 minutes a day. I have never even looked into charter schools. I'm not even sure where one is in my area.

It would make sense to me that if she was diagnosed with the vision problems and has made improvements over the last six months that the math is still to come. In my opinion (for what it is worth) math concepts take more mental maturity and time to grasp than spelling and other subjects. If her vision problems were impairing her ability to learn than maybe she has only begun to learn the math in the last six months. If so she has made great progress. I hate to throw something else at you but awhile back OhElizabeth suggested BJU to me for my dd11 who was really struggling. We had tried several different programs which didn't work and she was 3 grade levels behind in most of her math. Her time in PS from K-4 had taught her basically nothing. So we have tried BJU. It focuses on 1 topic at a time which works great for dd11. I do have to back her up on most topics to a 2nd or 3rd grade level and then we work up to the 5th grade level. Although it takes alot of work on my part I have to say it is working. Sometimes I get very worried that she is behind. But as another mom told me it doesn't matter if they are behind you must meet them where they are and work forward.

A Hundreds board is something that helped during the beginning number sense phase. The one we have came from Rainbow Resource, and one side has the standard 1 - 100; backside no numbers grid only. The grid only side is where we used magnetic numbers (again Rainbow R) 0 - 9; the next row started with 10 going to 19; then next row 20 - 29, ... This helped with seeing the number pattern of base ten. (beginning decimal place value)

I would also offer that mixing up the operations can be turned into an opportunity; 10 - 6 =? into ? + 6 = 10 or 6 + ? = 10

Verbalized something like " what plus six makes ten"?

I also do a decent amount of "oral" math which early on helped when written symbol communication was developing. Kids are way ahead with spoken como at first; remember they have been hearing stuff a lot longer than visual input- though I think inputs shift to the visual side...sorry getting offtrack.

Edited by Ray

My ds 7 is getting math for the first time, and is even experimenting with multiplication, all because I switched to Math Mammoth. If your dc is a big picture kind of gal like my little guy is, she'll need to get the conceptual explanation and drill built into MM. The drill i'm talking about are the online computer games my ds enjoys after he's completed at least one page of MM. He still complains about completing a page, because he has to exert some effort, but he is understanding, whereas previously it was just coasting and not having real understanding. MM offers a whole slew of sample pages you can try. Good luck!

Similar success story with MM here too! My 9yo DD has tried many of the same programs you have with the same issue. She still has issues with adding when she should subtract, etc. Plus time and money are slow coming....MM has been wonderful for her. She actually GETS IT! It may take some time, but once she gets it, it's sticking...finally! MM just makes sense to her.

You may google "stealth dyslexia" as well. I suspect this in my DD.

She isn't doing that much math with MUS. We are using CLE. When we used MUS, we did no more then 20-30 minutes a day. I have never even looked into charter schools. I'm not even sure where one is in my area.

Oops! I'm sorry! I misread your OP. :blushing:

This sounds like a great idea. I just always worry that she is getting further behind and she is always so concerned that my DS6 is catching up to her. This is one of the biggest problem in our house. I could probably go through Alpha and Beta again and be done before the year is over and maybe she will be ready for Gamma. The best part is I already have it all here. My only concern is what happens when she isn't retaining the information again. It works and she gets it, it's just retention that's the problem.

I've heard/read that a great way to get a child past worrying if a younger sibling is catching up to them is to have them doing two different curricula. :) Maybe that will help ease her frustrations and raise her self-esteem when it comes to math.

I hope you don't feel criticized. It sounds to me that you are a mom who loves her daughter very much and is worried about giving her the best education you can. I hope I did not say anything to make you feel differently. As good moms we are always on the look out for what is best and it is hard to stick with something when we see our kids frustrated. I think you know her best and should do what works best for her. I will say that the skills you listed that she is already good at are nothing to sneeze at. All I would want to say is that she is still young and although alot of people believe we must teach our children all of this at a young age (and that works for some) I want my girls to enjoy what they are learning. If that means they don't start until later or can't match up with every skill of the PS, I am fine with that. Look at it this way at 8 you still have at least another 10 years to teach her all the math she needs for college or life. Find what works for you and her and rest easy in the fact that you ARE providing her with a good education. I can assure you it will be better than anything PS will provide.

:iagree:

Remedial class? I missed it, what remedial class is she doing? They haven't even identified her PROBLEM, but they're going to remediate her??? I would make sure she's expending her energy in a focused way. It's not like a child this age can do 3 hours of math a day or something.

She was talking about her oldest daughter (who had the same problems with math) doing Remedial classes in college now. :)

We use R&S Exploring Arithmetic 3 and have used R&S Arithmetic from the start. Our ds 8 likes it and we love the way it teaches, but I had some concerns like you about his retention of some of the skills taught. So this is what we decided - it is best to continue a good base program if you feel it is working and like the way it is written. When you jump programs it is a real good possibility that something may be missed. So that being said I looked for a good supplement for our problem areas. After hours of research and trying different sample worksheets with ds we settled on Math Mammoth. Wow! this has made a world of difference. He loves it and we love that he is retaining the skills that were a problem. My advice is to stay with what you are using get M.M. to supplement. Then comes the hard part getting your children to learn that they both have their own special talents and sometimes since they are so close in age that sometimes they will work at the same level and that it is okay. That they just need to worry about doing their best and not what the other sibling is doing. I do know this is easier said than done.

Lisa

Ray, could I just say that at the moment I think you have a seriously good sig? "If you want to succeed, you have to double your failure rates." Pretty

Our kids recieved bike's from their uncle this Christmas and prior to this had never really figured out how to ride bikes; Today they did, my youngest was heard to say "we crashed lots" ;)

Edited by Ray

We use R&S Exploring Arithmetic 3 and have used R&S Arithmetic from the start. Our ds 8 likes it and we love the way it teaches, but I had some concerns like you about his retention of some of the skills taught. So this is what we decided - it is best to continue a good base program if you feel it is working and like the way it is written. When you jump programs it is a real good possibility that something may be missed. So that being said I looked for a good supplement for our problem areas. After hours of research and trying different sample worksheets with ds we settled on Math Mammoth. Wow! this has made a world of difference. He loves it and we love that he is retaining the skills that were a problem. My advice is to stay with what you are using get M.M. to supplement. Then comes the hard part getting your children to learn that they both have their own special talents and sometimes since they are so close in age that sometimes they will work at the same level and that it is okay. That they just need to worry about doing their best and not what the other sibling is doing. I do know this is easier said than done.

Lisa

I appreciate the suggestion, but if I added in MM to what she is already doing, I would be setting her up for disaster. She can't even finish one math curricula in a day, let alone two. I couldn't do that to her. My only option would really be to switch back to MUS I would guess.

I appreciate the suggestion, but if I added in MM to what she is already doing, I would be setting her up for disaster. She can't even finish one math curricula in a day, let alone two. I couldn't do that to her. My only option would really be to switch back to MUS I would guess.

This sounds like a good idea since she was "getting" math using MUS. And if you already have the program, that's a huge plus! Good luck!