Menu

Need curriculum advice

For 6th grade, my son will be using:

SL 5 - History, Science, Bible, Read-Alouds, Readers, but NO LA

Saxon Grammar & Writing 6 (we just use the grammar)

IEW Writing Class

R&S Math 7, supplementing here and there with Math Mammoth

SRA's Spelling Mastery (which is similar to Apples & Pears Spelling)

That's the main stuff we are going to use, but we will also use:

Wordsmart Vocabulary Cd-roms

Typing software

IEW's Poetry Memorization Program

La Clase Divertida for Spanish

Atelier Art

Sheppard Software for Geography (http://www.sheppardsoftware.com)

I'd like to add in CLE reading, but don't know when we'd find the time for that unless we dropped something else.

Lisa

For 6th we're doing:

Math - Horizons 6 plus Life of Fred pre-algebra with bio

Science - Harcourt, plus he participates in the Nancy Larson Science 2 that I do with my 4th grader

Writing - have been doing Wordsmith, but are putting that aside for a Bravewriter class in January (it's about a month), then we'll finish up Wordsmith

Grammar -- Easy Grammar (not crazy about this -- will try MCT Voyage Level next year)

Vocab - Sadlier (again to be replaced by MCT next year)

Reading/Lit -- Lightning Lit 7 plus Progeny Press Lit Guides

History -- Old World & America text (looking at Notgrass American History for middle schoolers for next year)

Health -- Horizons (it's okay, but I'm looking at a Switched on Schoolhouse DVD for next year that both kids can do)

Art -- Meet the Masters

Last year, in sixth, my son was finishing up Spelling Workout level H and the last level of Abeka God's Gift of Language series (level C). We did Writing Strands level 3 (he has difficulty with writing), as well as other things. He worked through a literary genres workbook as part of our lit studies (and that included writing, too, as did Abeka).

He started algebra work using a Brown, Dolciani book (and an outside tutor). We finished up Singapore 6 at home.

He used Memoria Press' Christian Studies for Bible related work. He used Latin Primer II and Code Cracker for Greek. He used Spanish for Children.

We worked through Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox for logic studies.

I put together my own studies for earth and space science, Medieval history and literature. He did geography related to history studies, but also did some geography related to his earth science studies and he completed a Beautiful Feet study: Tree in the Trail, about the western states.

That's all I can think of right now regarding last year....

This year, for seventh, he's using the following things:

a variety of resources for Bible, such as some missionary biographies, Bible stories on tape, an Advent study, etc.;

continuing with the Brown, Dolciani book for Algebra II;

using Russian Math 6 at home for pre-algebra drill;

using a Mark Twain Pub. Geometry workbook at home;

using a 50 States workbook for U.S. geography work;

using an Exploring Asia workbook for Asian geography work;

using SOTW maps and MapTrek for history related geography;

using Vocabulary for the College Bound;

Easy Grammar Plus (ditched R&S 7 earlier - first time this has ever happened to me);

he's in an outside literature class where he's doing the majority of his writing, although he's also doing history, geography, and science related writing at home for me;

Latin Primer III;

Barron's Spanish Grammar the Easy Way (also in an outside Spanish class with a native speaker);

Elementary Greek;

Introductory Logic (mostly ignoring it);

and I've put together my own stuff for history, lit, and science, per usual.... He's doing early modern history and chemistry.

We've had a therapy year, therapy summer, and probably will have a therapy winter term (bleh), so our schedule probably wouldn't fit you. However I'd toss out for your consideration anything from VP (Veritas Press), especially their online courses. This year they did a Transitions course covering all 5 years of the VP cards in one year. Whirlwind, but it would be very appropriate for those ages and a great launching point then to go into Omnibus the following year. Your dynamic is going to be a bit different from mine, because you're trying to keep kids together.

We've been doing Around the World in 180 Days, a geography study, which is also very flexible and would work well for those ages. Pretty much any of the popular grammar and writing programs around here could work for your kids. It's more just a matter of personality, budget, and what you like (teaching style).

WTM and the VP catalog both have graded reading lists you could use to construct your own. Beyond that, I would just go through WTM and look at the skills in each subject and decide how you want to work on them.

Math is all personal preference. If you give them placement tests from 3 or 4 different publishers, you're going to get a good feel for how each one intersects with your dc. You might even continue the math they've been doing in school if it has been working for them.

Ditto the recommend on the ACS Middle School Chemistry. I have it printed to start in January. Or you could do several (3-4 or more) of the elementary apologia books adding in plenty of writing. Or you could do the BJU 7 Life Science (assuming the 6th grader is a strong reader). Or just anything that catches your eye really.

That will be so nice to have the interplay of the two of them working together. Enjoy! :)

two 6th and one 7th grader next year and we will be doing

English:daily

Easy Grammar along with Daily Grams

Writing: Write Guide

Spelling: Spectrum Spelling

Vocab Extra: Word Wise

Reading - 30 minutes minimum a day with assigned report books to mesh with history and science :) using

History: 2 times a week

Story of the World BOOK 2

and lots of hands on

Brain Pop for fun

and Discovery Education for streaming vids

Science: 2 times a week

Christian Kids Explore Chemistry

lots of experiments

Brain Pop for fun

MAth-daily

Math U SEE -Zeta for 6th, pre-algebra for 7th grader

with ALEKs as a supplement

SPanish-daily

Power Glide 2nd year daily and will move into Rosetta for our 2nd try next year after we finish power glide!

Typing-Keyboard Mastery daily

Computer Skills Class by Mom! 2 times a week

Homemaking and life skills-make one meal a week and chores daily!! woot!

Art-Atelier as we can find time, or just need a day of play!

WE are also beginning Logic Lift off this January...and this is a new one...so hoping for good things!

Grammar/Vocab/Poetry -- Michael Clay Thompson (this will be new for us, but I think it will work pretty well, because DS likes talking... a lot). My younger two (who are combined in most subjects) will also be doing MCT, I have a feeling it will be easier to combine this subject with MCT than other things.

Comp -- MCT/Killgallon/WriteSource

Latin -- Veritas Press Secondary Latin I (online course... he may actually get it done...

Math -- Kinetic Textbooks + Foerster's Algebra I, some LoF (Math can be difficult to combine)

Science/Health -- Abkea Physical Science & Health 7

History -- we're following the TransitionsVP Class book list, doing cards 1-5, focusing on chants, timeline, mapwork, and using SOTW audio, Kingfisher & Usborne. I need this to be light and enjoyable. He will write daily narrations on what he reads. Those will be checked daily, and he will have weekly quizzes on his chants, and timeline progress.

Music -- Guitar

Art -- I Can Do All Things (my other kids are doing this... he'll start God and the History of Art in 7th and go through that course 7-9, for a full HS credit of Art Appreciation.

My younger son will do 6th grade next year. Here's what he will do:

1. Math: Primary Mathematics 5A&B, Challenging Word Problems 4, and Life of Fred Fractions

2. Grammar: Rod & Staff 5

3. Writing: IEW

4. History: Story of the World Vol. 4 with outlining

5. Science: Physical Science program

6. Music: Homeschool music program + private piano lessons

7. Bible: AWANA

8. Physical Education: Travel soccer

9. Plutarch: life of one leader

10. One Shakepearean play

11. Latin: Latina Christiana I

My older son when in 6th grade did the following:

1. Math: Primary Mathematics 6B& NEM 1 (half), Life of Fred Decimals, and Challenging Word Problems 5

2. Grammar: Classical Writing: Homer B

3. Writing: Classical Writing: Homer B

4. History: Story of the World Vol. 3, Trial and Triumph, and Our Island Story

5. Science: Earth Science and Astronomy

6. Music: Homeschool music program+ private piano lessons

7. Bible: AWANA

8. Plutarch lives three different characters

9. One Shakespeare play

10. Physical Education: A little running and the field day program which is the Presidential fitness program

11. Latin: Henle 1

12. Spanish: Rosetta Stone

In 7th Grade, he has completed the following:

1. History: Story of the World Vol. 4 and Trial and Triumph

2. Math: Life of Fred Pre-Algebra Biology

He is currently doing:

3. Math: NEM 1, Challenging World Problems 6, and Life of Fred Beginning Algebra

4. Science: REAL Science for Kids: Chemistry and in January, Exploring Creation with General Science

5. Latin: Lingua Angelica, starting in January, Henle I

6. One Shakespearan play

7. One Plutarch Life

8. Grammar: Rod & Staff 6

9. Writing: IEW

10. Music: Homeschool Music Program + private piano lessons

11. Spanish: Rosetta Stone

12. Physical Education: Indoor Soccer

13. Technology: FIRST Lego League

Please be advised that the music program includes violin lessons and the choir. The travel soccer, FIRST Lego League, and AWANA are after school programs.

For my son grade 6, age 12:

History/Readers- Sonlight Core 6 + lots of library books. For history we follow the daily reading schedule, but do it The Well Trained Mind way. Once day a week he writes 5-6 most important facts. Another day, he outlines 4-6 pages of text. He also writes one report a week on a history subject using library books and the internet. When he finishes a reader or read aloud he writes a summary.

Math- Singapore 5A, 5B, 6A (We switched to Teaching Textbooks from Singapore last year. Terrible mistake, now having to catch back up with Singapore.), last summer did Life of Fred Fractions, this summer will do Life of Fred Decimals and Percents.

Science- Apologia Botany and 100+ Series Science Enrichment 5-6 workbook

Foreign Language- Latina Christiana I and Elementary Greek I

Grammar & Language Arts- Growing with Grammar 6 and Keys to Good Language 6

Writing- Write-at-Home 6th Grade Composition. (This is an online writing program with a coach.) Expensive, but I really like it.

Spelling- Spelling Workout F

Logic- We started the year with Critical Thinking Book I, but he was not quite ready for this, so after Christmas we will start working through the Bonnie risby Series. (Logic Countdown, Logic Liftoff, and Orbiting with Logic)

Geography- Sonlight Maps (I copy them from the instructor guide and he labels them.) He will also work on a couple of maps and geography workbooks of some sort (like Scholastic Success with Maps) prior to the Stanford achievement test in April.

Timeline- Sonlight Timeline

Bible- We started with Sonlight Bible, but just switched to Bob Jones Bible Truths 6. (The older version that starts with the Old Testament.) He also takes notes and outlines 1-2 sermons a week at church, plus works on whatever his Kid's Club assigns.

Music- Orchestra, theory, and private violin lessons once a week. Violin practice for 1.5 hours a day. (He also helps her sister with hers.:))

We do our regular school work 4 days a week and travel to orchestra and violin one day a week.

My daughter is currently in 5th grade and using Oak Meadow 5 (for English, History and Science), and using Teaching Textbooks 5 (for math).

And I just ordered "Sentence Composing for Elementary School: A Worktext to Build Better Sentences" by the Killgallons after reading about it here...we're going to add it on to check out and see if it seems interesting and helpful enough.

Over the summer, when we're not busy with this other stuff, we do The Story of the World, Volume One, Ancient Times for fun and have been gradually working our way through it.

For 6th grade she'll move on to Oak Meadow 6 (we love Oak Meadow! It's hands on, creative, and not dry or textbookish) again for all subjects except math, and for math, we'll move on to Teaching Textbooks 6 (which we like for our non-mathy household; it's fun and easy to understand and my daughter loves doing her math on the computer).

And we will probably supplement with Life of Fred if we like it well enough as it sounds fun and interesting (reads like a story). I just bought it from someone here so once I get it I'll have a better idea about whether it will be a good fit for us.

And if we liked the "Sentence Composing" worktext well enough this year, they have one for middle school as well and perhaps we'll move on to that.

Other than that, we will continue with Story of the World as we have the time and the inclination.

Another Oak Meadow user here:) DS12 who is currently in 6th grade is using:

Oak Meadow: Science, History (which has geography, writing, vocab., grammar and art incorporated in it),

Growing with Grammar 6

Oak Meadow Math and Life of Fred Fractions

- we also do some logic workbooks and Apologia Science Flying Creatures (because they love birds and bugs!)

- There are also some required reading with OM and like everybody else, LOL, we do lots of independent reading :)

• 3 months later...

we use a variety.

math - bob jones 6

Language Arts - Bob Jones english 6

reading = Bob jones reading 6

Spelling =- Bob jones spelling 6

handwriting = bob jones handwriting 6

science = exploring creation with anatomy and physiology

History = Story of the World 4.

These are my daughters choices. That is what she likes best.

I would encourage you to worry about one subject at a time.

Start with the three R's.

Start researching just those subjects-

Writing (and grammar and spelling or vocab if they are good spellers), see it's almost overwhelming already

Reading- at those ages you might pick a lit program, or you might go with something more open like WTM lays out

Math- pp mentioned finding one that works for them, or using what ever their school used if that is working fine.

I would encourage you not to spend a lot of money. In fact I would say to just try these three things for next fall and plan on starting the extras- sci, hist, logic, Latin, art, and music next Jan. (Okay if there is something there your kids really love you might start that at the beginning for something fun). This will also give you a chance to get chores and meals figured out and get used to spending all day together.

Do a search here for "logic stage writing" or "prealgebra." That will get you started ;) Have you read The Well Trained Mind?