Menu

Does this make you feel better or worse about the way you homeschool?

I read this article about the homeschooler who got accepted to Harvard (and several other top colleges) and I am trying to decide if it is inspiring me to do more with my children or if it is just making me feel worse because I cannot do as much for my kids as I would like to (and as much as this mom has done for hers!!!). I know this is not the typical homeschooler, but she sure sets the bar high!!! What do you think?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-homeschool_18apr18,1,1900746.story

I would love an opportunity to talk to her though and find out what curriculum she used and what she felt were the most important things to include if you could not do all that she did.

I definitely find it inspiring!

Sure, I can't do all that -- but it reassures me that all that *can* be done! It probably won't influence any one major thing in our home schooling, and honestly, I don't even *care* what "curriculum" they were using... But it does remind me to set the standards *high* for my kids, to really, deeply encourage them to develop their interests and pursue their passions, to give them all the opportunities I *can*...

So yeah, for me it's a lot more inspiring than sitting back and saying, "Hey, well, I'm doing a better job than such-and-such" -- I mean, where do you go from there?

I know - I read that article and thought "Gee, if I had only ONE kids and the kind of financial resources to travel, do special camps, etc., maybe I could have turned out the same kid." But I think a lot has to do with the KID - that girl was talented, motivated, worked hard - she deserved to be accepted everywhere!

I just wish I could afford to travel extensively and have tutors all over the world like she did!!! I think that I am just more curious about what she used curriculum wise since it obviously worked well for her. What I loved most was how she exposed her daughter to things and then let her follow her passions to the fullest extent that she was able to support it!!!

It actually encourages me -- I love the world to see that homeschooling can work. So many people are still so skeptical.

Ivy league schools are not my end goal, though, so I don't feel defeated, and I don't feel I need to do anything differently in order to get my boys there.

My oldest would never be accepted by either Harvard or even most colleges because he spent a considerable amount of time working while highschooling. The college board would be impressed if he spent hours each week at a nursing home or a political party, but not that he worked his way through high school almost totally independently (doing quite well I may add), while working almost full time (purchasing a $10,000 CD at the end of each year). He schools intensively during the winter.

We feel the work ethic and experience our son has gained is of great importance. He has such a great maturity for it as well -- more mature than many men in their late 20's! He greatly values his free time, so he is not a time-squanderer. Spending hours a day with Dad has also been beneficial. I think those hours of work and manly company have really shaped his manhood. I am sure that if given a job and a family of his own RIGHT NOW, he would succeed. That is my measure of success.

Right now, he plans to attend a community college for one year, then transfer to the local university for the Army's ROTC program. He is very military-minded and would like a career in the Army.

Taoism with an abbot atop China's holiest mountain

It doens't make me jealous. It somewhat inspires me. And makes me realize that I can teach things just as well, here at home. What makes learning Taoism in China so much better than at home? We can read some great books about it, discuss it, and even do a little play-acting (that comes off sounding snarky, and I don't mean it too, the words I'm really lookign for are currently escaping me) if we desire too. They OBVIOUSLY have infinitely more resources than I do, the harp alone probably costs more than my car:tongue_smilie: BUT I think that any devoted parent can have the same positive results; reaching your child's full potential through a well-rounded education. Expose them to the arts, living history, science, and immerse them in whatever they prefer.

jmho :D

What really makes this girl different from most other kids is that she was passionate about learning. I don't think it was the curriculum at all. I think we can all ask ourselves, "What can I do to help my child be more excited about learning, in general?" For me, it would be to turn off the television! My child is still very inquisitive (6 years old). The challenge is to keep her asking the why's as she grows up.

If you have a child who is not excited about learning, you can take her to Europe or wherever and it will just be a vacation to her. You can buy the best curriculum in the world and she will go through the motions and get it done. If the child is smart, they will end up well-educated, but this girl really loves to learn. There is a huge difference.

I think I was the kind of child who just went through the motions. I got straight A's but didn't retain anything. I made the A's to be the best, not because I was interested in learning anything.

I don't have the answers. Any suggestions?

Paula

My oldest would never be accepted by either Harvard or even most colleges because he spent a considerable amount of time working while highschooling. The college board would be impressed if he spent hours each week at a nursing home or a political party, but not that he worked his way through high school almost totally independently (doing quite well I may add), while working almost full time (purchasing a $10,000 CD at the end of each year). He schools exclusively during the winter.

That wasn't so for most of the colleges that ds was looking at. His work experience was what pushed him to the top of the heap for selective scholarships and for admissions.

If he wants to apply, there's really no reason to believe that extensive work experience would hold him back. It would be added value for MANY institutions.

Yes, this was clearly an only child, very (profoundly?) gifted, with good financial means, but she also had parents who totally dedicated themselves to allowing, helping her to pursue opportunities. In a way, they had the "perfect storm" of positive indicators, but it helps me to remember to take every opportunity, encourage my kids to work hard, pursue their interests, and find things to inspire them. Not all parents would have done so much for their child. Seeing how seemingly confident and accomplished this girl is really inspires me to try harder with my kids.

It makes me think: "This must be an only child from a high income family.";) Seriously, this is a young woman who is clearly passionate about learning, and whose family integrates life and education. That's grand! I often wonder how my life and homeschooling would be different, given different circumstances. But we do what we do the way we do it. I admittedly am not one who strives super hard toward the highest bar. I should be, but I'm not. I'm pretty happy, more often than not, with average. And yes, it strikes me as falsely modest when a woman whose child is a renowned musician who achieved perfect scores on the SAT and ACT, aced AP tests, has traveled extensively and taken an array of impressive outside courses says she wondered if they'd be looked upon favorably. Please.

now I wish we hadn't frittered away all that time in Paris, and had left the grand piano in the music room, instead of putting in a pool table. i'm gonna get me a tattoo that says regret, over a broken heart. ;)

the family gave their daughter every opportunity they could, and that's what we do. i do wonder why the mother put such emphasis, so much anxiety, into acceptance to Harvard...did she really think that would be what her daughter needed to be successful? why, after all the competence and ability that her daughter exhibited, did that mean so much?

i'm happy for the girl; she's worked hard and deserves recognition for her academic and musical accomplishments.

and to add: I hope the student realized that her achievements were worthwhile whether a certain college admitted her or not.

And yes, it strikes me as falsely modest when a woman whose child is a renowned musician who achieved perfect scores on the SAT and ACT, aced AP tests, has traveled extensively and taken an array of impressive outside courses says she wondered if they'd be looked upon favorably. Please.

Ummm, I dunno, Colleen. I second-guessed myself from the word go. Lots of comments got back to me (not always in regards to homeschooling, but certainly enough times there) like, "Sure, if I were willing to sacrifice our family" or "Right, scores like that are certainly possible if the parents *push* the child," or "Uh huh, yeah, if we had field trips to Paris when our kids were young, but not all of use are fortunate enough to..." or "Well, yeah, that's Impressive -- if you're needy enough to qualify for that kind of financial aid."

You DO wonder how the admissions office will view the efforts, even though you know it's been a great experience for the kid. If the pediatrician if snurfing his nose at your family, how do you know an admissions officer won't say, "Gee, sure, wonder how she would have done in REAL school" if they are a strong opponent of alternative education routes.

BTDT with the wacky, non-traditional, eight-page transcripts and the odd route to admissions, so I guess the angst behind her words resonated a bit more with me. I do believe they held their breath really hard when they put themselves out there, though maybe they shouldn't have. I mean, I know that *certainly* I shouldn't have worried and fretted so much, but I do know that I did.

And I know when the sought-for admissions came, I cried and cried, disbelieving and overjoyed.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I agree with both of you. :-) It does seem that the mom should have had a clue that her daughter would be accepted, considering her abilities and experience.

On the other hand I can understand the worrying and fretting, just because we are different. I did not encourage my son to go after his original first choice college, because I didn't think he would be able to compete with all the "stuff" that other kids who go to that school usually have. He ended up sending in an application to them anyway, just to see what would happen. We were floored when he was accepted.

After one of my dd's friends got perfect scores on both the SAT's and ACT's I asked her if she wished we had pushed her more. (My dd only got high 700's w/o studying and I was wondering if we should have made her study?) My dd said, "Mom, I am so thankful that you have allowed me to be normal". I think every family has to make their own decisions, but one of the reasons I homeschooled is so that my kids wouldn't be turned into performing monkeys. My dh and I both come from families where kids entered college at young ages (15) and we do not see how (they are in their 40's now) any of them have benefited from it. When the school district told me they wanted to have my dd skip kindergarten and put her in either 1rst or 2nd grade, I did not react with pride, but with fear. Hsing has allowed her to work at her profficiency level in all of her subjects while still being a normal kid.

Honestly, I just read the story and thought "How nice." I think it's great that homeschooling worked for this girl. I'm willing to bet she would have done just fine in school too. I also know that if I were the perfect homeschooling mom (as if that existed), my dear kids would probably not get into Harvard. Nor if they were to attend the most expensive, prestigious private schools. They'll do just great in life and probably get into selective schools if they try, but I just don't think they're Ivy-League Bound.

I get the impression that she used more outside classes. I believe she works, herself, so this seems like a modern version of private tutoring of having a governess. I would liken this to folks who can afford very expensive, private schools, perhaps even boarding schools. Yes, they give their children a good education. Can you also give your own child a good education using the library, internet, and any other resources you can afford? Yes, I believe that you can. I think John Holt gave his kids a terrific education and I believe he totally unschooled. There are a million ways to obtain a good education. EPGY classes at about $750 a pop are not the only way.....

The child learned to read at 2 and was making up spelling books for friends in K. This suggests natural gifted intelligence, not simply "being pushed".

They are wealthy enough to live in Chicago AND travel a lot.

It seems to me this is a case of parents with the resources to do so rising to the task of really challenging a gifted child so she'd blossom. And it worked.

All any of us can do is challenge our children, keep them loving learning, and let them go as far as they are able. If we can't all afford to go on world tours, oh well. Every experience is different.

Take note they can probably AFFORD those fancy schools she applied to, too.

So yeah, for me it's a lot more inspiring than sitting back and saying, "Hey, well, I'm doing a better job than such-and-such" -- I mean, where do you go from there?

I never say that, but I also don't say, "Hey, I'm failing compared to so-and-so." There's a lot of non-comparative, middle ground there ~ basically, "I'm doing good enough for us.":)

Any positive story about homeschooling makes me smile and feel inspired. I have different goals for each of my children and we provide different opportunities and I can guarantee they will not all follow the same paths. I love positive stories that I can send to the in-laws so she will slow down with the criticizing.

I have a good friend whose situation is very similar. Her dd studies several languages and instruments, and is very advanced in arts, maths, and sciences. They travel all over the world. I expect the girl will also be accepted to every top-rated university to which she applies, when that time comes.

While I'd love to be able to do what they do, our reality isn't the same. My friend is high-energy, has significant financial means, and only has one child. I am low energy, have limited financial means, and have three very high-energy children. I look at what my friend does with her dd and I am amazed at all they do. My friend looks at my three dc and says she is amazed at what all I do.

So, even though the article doesn't change anything for me, it encourages me that such articles are being written and that great schools are so glad to get quality homeschoolers. It doesn't make me want to set the bar any higher, though. I think our bar is high enough.