Menu

Help! I think I just dislocated my jaw!

I have TMJ issues related to orthodontia. My jaw will sometimes lock on one side, either open or closed. Gentle pressure with my fingers on the outside will ease it back into place. But if you haven't had this happen before, you might want to check with your dentist before doing anything.

I have TMJ issues related to orthodontia. My jaw will sometimes lock on one side, either open or closed. Gentle pressure with my fingers on the outside will ease it back into place. But if you haven't had this happen before, you might want to check with your dentist before doing anything.

this just happened to me last night, its a little scary but I massage it and it unhinged.

Yes. This happens to me. Hurts Something terrible.

Supposedly sleeping with a mouth guard to keep your jaw aligned helps, but only a bit by most accounts.

After years of it, that might become a repeated problem and surgery will be needed.

Displacement of the intraarticular tempro-mandibular joint

Valium for a week to see if the muscles will relax enough to allow the disc to slide back into place, surgery if that doesn't work. In the meantime, my back teeth don't touch, so I can only eat soft foods.

Thanks for your help!

Amy - this has happened to me 3 different times. Each time the chiropractor was able to loosen the muscles so that my jaw was able to close. Each time the effect was immediate (at least within 24-48 hrs of the first treatment), and then I kept up treatments every other day for 2 weeks.

Hope that possibly something like that would work for you before you consider the surgery option!

:grouphug:

Amy - this has happened to me 3 different times. Each time the chiropractor was able to loosen the muscles so that my jaw was able to close. Each time the effect was immediate (at least within 24-48 hrs of the first treatment), and then I kept up treatments every other day for 2 weeks.

Hope that possibly something like that would work for you before you consider the surgery option!

:grouphug:

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Valium for a week to see if the muscles will relax enough to allow the disc to slide back into place, surgery if that doesn't work. In the meantime, my back teeth don't touch, so I can only eat soft foods.

Thanks for your help!

Ice packs helped mine.

Thanks for your help!

Did they try to reduce it in the ER? There are maneuvers and techniques they can do to try to get it back into place. If it were me, I'd want them to at least try those before considering surgery.

Is there another ER around? Or an oral surgeon? I'd call around and ask if they have anyone with experience in reducing acute jaw dislocations.

Technical, but describes some of the techniques:

Dislocation, Mandible: Treatment & Medication

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help!

Amy, I am so sorry! How awful!

Hope you're feeling better! :grouphug: