Menu

Has anyone ever dropped CC mid-year?

What's stressful in your child's life? Is it CC?

Although we don't do CC (yet) from my research, you can put as little or as much effort into it as you want....from as little meaning showing up that day and participating in class but never touching it the rest of the week, to the other end which is making it your core and practicing, practicing, practicing.

What side of the spectrum are you on now, and could you change that side to make CC a bit more relaxed at home instead of dropping it altogether?

I learned when my oldest were little (1st, 3rd grade) 18 years ago that if it wasn't working, drop it and move on. I stuck out to many things because I wanted to keep our commitment. Now, I did discern between "this is really not working for us" and the scenario of "this isn't the best fit but it will be a big detriment to others if we drop out and we are getting something out of it and it is not causing us big problems to stick with it until the end of the year".

He's having trouble keeping up with the workload without it consuming too much of his day. I don't mean that I think he should be done with school in 2-3 hours (7th grade) but I do think he should have the flexibility to go outside for a bit and not have to work after dinner.

7th grade means he's in Challenge, right? Talk to the Director. If he's having trouble keeping up with the workload, you (as his parent and primary teacher) can choose to lighten it. Your son does not have to do every assignment/paper/etc that the Director assigns when he/she says it's due. Just tell the Director what's going on and keep him/her informed. I stress that a lot when telling people about Challenge. YOU, the parent, are the final authority. :001_smile:

A friend of mine teaches that level of Cc. She allowed a boy to write the science paper one week and the literature paper the next (or something like that). Everything she told me about her CC training made me think the tutors are supposed to be flexible to work with the parents for what is best suited for each student.

What's stressful in your child's life? Is it CC?

Although we don't do CC (yet) from my research, you can put as little or as much effort into it as you want....from as little meaning showing up that day and participating in class but never touching it the rest of the week, to the other end which is making it your core and practicing, practicing, practicing.

What side of the spectrum are you on now, and could you change that side to make CC a bit more relaxed at home instead of dropping it altogether?

I have NEVER heard of this level of flexibility with CC. EVER. That is a HUGE reason why we will not ever participate......another reason is that we have friends who describe themselves as "CC Survivors". :001_huh:

I know that you're told that you, as the parent, can decide which work your child will do. But I can't figure out how exactly that works. If you tell your child they don't have to do latin (or math) one week because they don't have time, the class still moves on, and now your child is a week behind in latin (not exactly easing their schedule). Yes, they could skip science but what if that's one of their favorite subjects. They're working through IEW Bible-based writing. An assignment could be skipped but then your child wouldn't have been taught that particular writing assignment.

Maybe I'm missing something.

I know that you're told that you, as the parent, can decide which work your child will do. But I can't figure out how exactly that works. If you tell your child they don't have to do latin (or math) one week because they don't have time, the class still moves on, and now your child is a week behind in latin (not exactly easing their schedule). Yes, they could skip science but what if that's one of their favorite subjects. They're working through IEW Bible-based writing. An assignment could be skipped but then your child wouldn't have been taught that particular writing assignment.

Maybe I'm missing something.

I tutored Challenge A last year. CC's policy IS that the parent is the final authority. That doesn't vary from CC campus to CC campus. It is the policy, and the Director should not only know that but have told parents.

The amount of flexibility does depend on the subject area. For example, not writing the lit paper doesn't really have much impact on the class or the continuation of skills. They still would have been taught the skills in class, they just wouldn't be practicing them that week. Not doing the Latin assignment would have an impact on the progression of skills. Ultimately, though, you get to decide what work your student does. And it's nice to give the tutor advance notice, so that she can be thoughtful of the student in class.

You could drop a seminar or two for the second semester, if your Director is nice. :001_smile:

There are people who drop it mid year.

You don't have to let go of the assignment to "lighten" it.

Challenge is roughly an hour a day per subject. So it's about 24 hours of week during the week. Or 6 hours a day. Some kids need more some kids need less. I personally don't have a problem with work being left until after dinner. I figure at this age sometimes that is needed.

I have one in Ch A, and we are generally done in 3 days. (She takes 2 outside classes as well.) The first day is usually pretty long and full. It just makes our week easier.

What is it that is stressing him? That's what you need to look at first.

Not having any idea where the issue is here are some ideas to alter the load -

IEW -the assignment is 5 paragraphs but that isn't what you want your student to do. Change it. Have him write more or less - 2, 3, 4 or 7. It's up to you. But IEW is done for the year.

Take a look at the literature for next semester. If reading is a problem, start now or get the books on CD and have him read along with them. If writing is a problem you can redo the assignments without any detriment to him or the class. Have him tell you what he'd write or something. I don't know the specifics.

Science - use one source and write a shorter paper. This is changing as well. So look at what he will be doing next semester.

Latin - skip some of the "writing" and drill orally. If he's struggling with the material and understanding, talk to the tutor.

Math - unless Math is a struggle you don't need to do every problem. If he is struggling to keep up in math you need to look closely at that. I am not a believer in pushing them through math. But really Saxon is a lot of review, so some problems can be skipped to save time.

Rhetoric - if reading is a problem, read it with him. If it's the writing, discuss the questions orally and you write the answers down. My student usually gets all the rhetoric done in one sitting on the first day of the week. This just helps lighten the load the rest of the week. Help with the catechism drill. We drill this about 10 minutes a day orally.

Geo - I don't think you can back down on Geo or he will be lost, but what about skipping the terms - just do the map. There are great games you can use to drill the countries/capitals/locations so it's not all tedious.