Menu

Does anyone know anything about food stamps?

Let me start by saying I know that the best course of action in this case would be for my ex to actually go and talk to a case worker about this, and I'm going to implore him to do so.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with applying for food stamps? Many of you know that my ex husband lives in my house. We are not "together" in any sense of the word (except as parents), but if he didn't live with me he would quite literally be homeless. He does not work and I have provided 100% of his day to day support for well over a year.

While my income is well above the maximum allowed for a household in Georgia to receive food stamps, I'm wondering if he could receive them because he is not my dependent from a legal perspective because he isn't a relative, or even a domestic partner, and I have no legal obligation to house and feed the man.

I know it varies by state, but it seems to me he should qualify with zero income, and we're not relatives. Or, does the state expect me to continue to support him simply because I have been for a while?

Again, I'm going to have him make an appointment to go in, but I was just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with it. What will he be expected to take with him? What kinds of things will they ask him? If they ask him MY income, he won't have a clue, and I don't know why that's even relevant. It would just be really helpful for him to be able to contribute to his own livelihood in some way, and right now that seems like the only way.

I know that they will take into consideration all income in the home where he is living. Even if a teen has a part time job, that is considered as income for the household. So yes, you most likely will have to support him unless you are willing to ask him to leave.

See...this is what makes me so mad about "The System." Yes, he lives here, because he's the father of my children and I don't want him to be homeless. And yes, I feed him, because I'm not going to let him starve. But I am under NO obligation to do either of those things. So I can't say I'm willing to house you but you have to contribute by feeding yourself. The state would rather that I put him out on the street, and then he would qualify. That's just crap.

So I'm fully supporting him, because he's part of my household, BUT....I'm not allowed to claim him on my income tax return because he's not a relative. Talk about a mixed message.

Is there a way you could let him have his own household? He would somehow need his own entrance/exit, and all his stuff in one area. Maybe some kind of agreement about rent. I know he has no income so maybe some kind of written thing between the two of you that says for exchange of household services or babysitting he gets to rent a room. Stipulate that he has use of the kitchen but must provide his own food.

My best friend is a social worker with DHS in Georgia. She specifically works with Food stamps. I just asked her. Your husband can apply online. Additionally, "proof" of income is not needed at the department she serves at (in Cobb Co) & she said this is true across the state. This infuriates her actually, but it may be good info for your husband to have.

Susan

ETA - the website is: https://compass.ga.gov/selfservice/

Edited by susankenny

I'm not sure about them counting your income, but the roommate scenario seems workable. I think (not sure) that the household income only counts for relatives in the household. When my son's friend was moving in with us, he had his own food stamp case separate from our case. He was going to pay a tiny amount of rent and be considered a roommate. One other consideration here in Texas anyway, is that an adult on food stamps has to work at least 20 hours a week unless they have custody of a minor child. I'm not sure how your divorce is set up custody wise so this may or may not affect him. If the adult does not have a 20 hour a week job, they have to be registered with Texas Work Force and diligently looking for a job. For example, my son and I are on food stamps. At the moment, neither of us has to have a 20 hr a week job (though I currently do). When he turns 18, he will also have to meet the job requirement for me to keep him on my case. Of course, both incomes will also be counted. When he was 16 and working at McDonald's, his income also counted.

He should not say that he has a roomate that allows him to do work in lieu of rent if the OP is the owner of the home. This is because the IRS considers work done "in lieu of rent" as a benefit with monetary value and renting is considered a business or an income so the monetary value of the work is "income" to the business. Putting this in legal paperwork means that she then needs to declare the value of his work on her income taxes and of course, pay taxes on that.

He simply is living there free with no expectations or he would be homeless. It would be better for the OP to issue a letter stating that she is only doing this to prevent the father of her children from becoming homeless but that her finances are such that he needs to find a way to provide for his own food.

Faith

When I was a social worker, the income of the entire household was considered in determining eligibility for food stamps. It didn't matter whether you were relatives; it did matter whether you constituted a household, which, by living under the same roof, you do.

Tara

My best friend is a social worker with DHS in Georgia. She specifically works with Food stamps. I just asked her. Your husband can apply online. Additionally, "proof" of income is not needed at the department she serves at (in Cobb Co) & she said this is true across the state. This infuriates her actually, but it may be good info for your husband to have.

Susan

ETA - the website is: https://compass.ga.gov/selfservice/

Thank you! I'm actually in Cobb County, so this is particularly useful information.

Is there a way you could let him have his own household? He would somehow need his own entrance/exit, and all his stuff in one area. Maybe some kind of agreement about rent. I know he has no income so maybe some kind of written thing between the two of you that says for exchange of household services or babysitting he gets to rent a room. Stipulate that he has use of the kitchen but must provide his own food.

Hmmmm....this might be do-able. Good idea!

I worked at the Food Stamp office for over 10 years in my previous life :lol:.

In Texas (not that it helps you any, but it may help someone out in WTM Land), he would be able to declare himself a separate household and your income wouldn't count.

We use the phrase "purchase and prepare food separately" to determine whether you are dealing with a single household unit or separate household units. Even if you have been "purchasing and preparing" together up until this point due to his inability to purchase his own food, you would need to state that if he gets certified for benefits then he would begin "purchasing and preparing separately" once he had the financial means (food stamps) to do so.

Many family units are very messy, I assure you, the caseworker won't even blink when you tell her your ex-husband lives with you. They've seen and heard it ALL. That's actually one of more benign instances I can remember.

Good luck!

I know that they will take into consideration all income in the home where he is living. Even if a teen has a part time job, that is considered as income for the household. So yes, you most likely will have to support him unless you are willing to ask him to leave.

They will consider your income and his no income... they make it harder for a person who is living with someone (i.e. relative) to get public assistance. It couldn't hurt to make the half-day trip and filling out the forms to sit in front of the caseworker and find out?

Actually this may vary by state, because here in Texas a teenager's income wouldn't count as long as they are also living with parents (or other parental figure) and attending school, including homeschool. Here's Texas Policy:

I don't know how to quote from another website. :tongue_smilie:

Count a child's earned income unless the child

• is under 18 years of age;

• attends elementary, high school or general equivalency diploma classes, including home school; and

• lives with his natural or adoptive parents or stepparent or is under parental control of another household member.

When my adult daughter and her daughter lived with us, they qualified for food stamps. They were considered their own household for food stamps purposes as long as their food was separate from ours (not a problem for us as she eats totally different from us, and her daughter was a breastfeeding newborn).

In NC, you would be considered one household because you have children together, regardless of marital status or anything else.

If not for that, any number of people can live in the same home and *not* be a household together. It is not unheard of for 3 families to share a home. As long as all food is cooked/eaten separately, each individual family unit could get food stamps without taking into account the income of the others.

Teen's income only counts if they are over 18.