Menu

I think I just did something stupid...

A friend told me about this site called BidMacs.com where you can bid on lots of items by purchasing bid packs (60 cents per bid) and then bidding on the items you want. High-end items like computers, iPads, iPods, TVs, etc. all selling at a fraction of the retail cost. So, I checked it out, and signed up. I put in my cc info thinking this was just to put it on file for the future...like you have to do in Ebay, right? Then I see this screen telling me I just bought 200 bids for $149.99! WHAT? I never saw anything asking me to choose a bid pack or anything. The site said they do refund purchased bids so please pray with me that they do b/c I can't afford that much! My dh is going to kill me if he finds out and if this site isn't legit and doesn't refund my bids. So angry with myself for getting sucked into something like this again. Just want to cry. I'm just so stupid!

You're not stupid! You made a mistake!:chillpill: ;)

If the site claims they'll refund the bids, they likely will. If they won't, I'd start a dispute with your CC company. I've never lost when I finally resorted to a dispute with the CC company and I'm telling you, one transaction could have potentially lost us THOUSANDS of dollars. Thankfully I've only done this twice, but it's why I make MANY major purchases on my CC and then just pay it off at the end of the month. I love the protection that offers.

It was my bank card...the only cc we use. So...I don't know what protection we have. Ugh. :banghead::banghead::banghead::crying:

:001_huh::blink:

Did you try to get a refund yet? Something sounds fishy....... I've never heard of an online purchase that didn't first request you confirm your order before putting it through.:confused::confused:

I emailed the company and explained the situation. Refund policy is clearly stated and so I "think" that I shouldn't have a problem. Business hours are 8am-9pm MST M-F so I can call them tomorrow as well. I'm just terrified. The site is legit. Auctions are happening, people bidding, etc. I also saw that you were only able to purchase bids AFTER you registered and signed in...I never signed in. I had only just registered. Hadn't even confirmed my email yet. So...I'm hopeful but just feeling stupid.

I emailed the company and explained the situation. Refund policy is clearly stated and so I "think" that I shouldn't have a problem. Business hours are 8am-9pm MST M-F so I can call them tomorrow as well. I'm just terrified. The site is legit. Auctions are happening, people bidding, etc. I also saw that you were only able to purchase bids AFTER you registered and signed in...I never signed in. I had only just registered. Hadn't even confirmed my email yet. So...I'm hopeful but just feeling stupid.

they MAY be having problems with their site. This has happened to me before. Sometimes I haven't even caught it but the company called me to tell me what the issue was. Hang in there!

Sue, in doing some quick research, I think your best bet would be to contact your bank immediately and discuss fraud. There is something called a "chargeback" that you can do but again check with your bank. Don't expect any quick response from this company about a refund. Work with your bank and work quickly. Banks have 24 hour customer service lines. Don't beat yourself up, but move quickly. You may be able to stop payment, which will cost you but not as much as $149 and $18. Good luck.

Sue, in doing some quick research, I think your best bet would be to contact your bank immediately and discuss fraud. There is something called a "chargeback" that you can do but again check with your bank. Don't expect any quick response from this company about a refund. Work with your bank and work quickly. Banks have 24 hour customer service lines. Don't beat yourself up, but move quickly. You may be able to stop payment, which will cost you but not as much as $149 and $18. Good luck.

Agreed! I'd contact the bank ASAP! Good luck!

Should I just tell bank my card was lost/stolen? :confused:

No, that would be fraud on your part; you would be in much worse trouble.

Sorry this is happening to you, but I bet you'll be covered by cc protection even if the company doesn't want to refund. (have you printed the refund policy yet?)

:grouphug:

Bank not open 24 hrs. I have to call in the am. Account was already charged. Will go through tomorrow I'm assuming. I really am stupid. Always looking for a deal and always getting burned. My dh is really going to kill me. Really. Should I just tell bank my card was lost/stolen? :confused:

Tell the bank the truth -- that you were apparently fraudulently charged. That you were charged without forewarning of what you were being charged for, that you did not authorize the payment, that you have requested a refund from the company per their refund policy but have not heard back yet, and that you need to cancel the transaction.

Just be honest and describe what happened; the bank should be able to reverse the charge/stop the payment, which might cost you a stop payment fee or something but will certainly be less than the $150 or so that you're fighting at the moment.

Mistakes happen. We've all messed up in one way or another. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Bank not open 24 hrs. I have to call in the am. Account was already charged. Will go through tomorrow I'm assuming. I really am stupid. Always looking for a deal and always getting burned. My dh is really going to kill me. Really. Should I just tell bank my card was lost/stolen? :confused:

No, tell the truth. Ask them how to open a dispute and tell them you entered your cc info but did not authorize any charges.

With a bank debit card that has the visa or mastercard logo on it, you have all the same rights as you have with any cc. If the charge was fraudulent, the bank should refund your money and it should not cost you one red cent. You might have to talk to a manager and keep repeating yourself, you might have to sit at the bank until they agree with you, but if you didn't authorize the charge, you have cc protection and the bank must return your money.

If you can't get it resolved, call the state attorney general to report the website AND your bank.

Guest RecumbentHeart

I see from reading those links someone provided that the charge is on the website in their fine print which, if that's the case, isn't fraud. It IS deceitful because the know most ppl don't read it, but not fraud. I messed up in a similar situation with a different kind of site but thankfully their site messed up and the sign up never went through and they did allow you to cancel within so many days and not be charged but it's only by chance that I even realized there was going to be a charge at all. Anyway - hopefully this site comes through on their refund statement. I'm not sure if a bank will cooperate if it was a matter of not reading fine print. But they might ... Either way, hope you get it back!

Eta, I looked around the site and don't actually see this alleged fine print either.

Edited by RecumbentHeart