Menu

Online classes for middle school?

Wondering if anyone uses any online classes for their middle schooler?

Last year for 6th, we used Florida Virtual School (free to all FL residents)....note this is not the same as a Virtual Academy,...the virtual school offers pick and choose courses, and homeschoolers are still homeschoolers, etc.

Anyhoo, we used the Science, Art and Keyboarding.

Nothing this year, yet.

I am considering doing the science again for DS12. He's about to finish his chemistry next month. He'll need something for next semester.

I am also looking at online Latin, since he is fast moving beyond my capabilities in Latin.

Anyone else use any online courses?

We use Lonepine Classical for Latin (Lingua Latina) and cybeRShala for math (Singapore).

We've done one seminar at Bravewriter.

My reviews? I absolutely love all of them. This is our third year with Lonepine (Stellae, Latin 100, and now Latin 200). We both love the class and will continue through 400. I actually audit and get professional CEUs for it. :001_smile:

Ditto cybeRShala. We've been when them for about 3 years, too. Love Singapore (we knew that b/f we started with cybeRShala, though), love the teacher, love the class format. We plan to be with them for math probably to the very end.

Bravewriter changed my entire outlook in terms of writing. I actually teach a small class using Bravewriter principles now.

We do FLVS (Florida Virtual-not the FLVA). The girls (7th & 8th) have taken the science, cultures, keyboarding, 2d art and reading. This year they're taking MS Spanish 2. The middle school spanish 1 & 2 satisfy year 1 of HS Spanish so this summer they'll just go into HS Spanish 2 and have the foreign language requirement completed. My son took FLVS classes too. He took the Latin instead of Spanish. It has been great for us.

I use K12 for pre-algebra, Spanish and Science. I don't really know if this is considered an "online" class or not, because I do not do the teacher supported courses. It is a little pricey. They are neat programs, but the pre-algebra is basically just a way to keep records, because I am doing all of the teaching. Keep in mind we just started Oct. 5th. Science we just started, so it's up in the air, but it's very much hands on with neat experiments already. Spanish is cool. He earns "money" by completing certain activities which he can use to buy stuff for his online character. By repeating the activities he gets more of this money. It causes a lot of repetition, and therefore retention, of the vocabulary. It seems like a neat idea to me. It's a very basic beginners program because he has never had any exposure to foreign language before.

In hindsight, I wish I would have found this forum before I jumped with the pre-algebra, but I can't complain. We can work at our own pace and it seems very thorough (so far.)

Good luck!

We use Lonepine Classical for Latin (Lingua Latina) .... My reviews? I absolutely love all of them. This is our third year with Lonepine (Stellae, Latin 100, and now Latin 200). We both love the class and will continue through 400. I actually audit and get professional CEUs for it. :001_smile:

Ooh.. Please could you tell me more about this? I'm very interested!

Dd 8th takes 3 classes via The Potters School (English 2, US History and World Geography). I can't recommend TPS enough.

I was just about to post a question about TPS. I am so glad I saw this post.

I am seriously considering TPS for next year. I guess ds would have to start with JH Grammar, Composition, and Literature. I was just wondering about other people's experiences with the placement essay portion. How good were your dc at writing essays before taking this class.

Sorry to hijack.

Danielle

Ooh.. Please could you tell me more about this? I'm very interested!

Well, could you narrow it down to a specific question?

Lonepine is an online latin class. She uses Lingua Latina text, the colloquium (skits), exercitia (fill in the blank, write sentences, et c). She also give us a chapter pkt with grammar notes, vocabulary helps, and history/myth/culture. We learn from LL but also lots of h/m/c to fill out. The kids will study for the NLE, and I guess I will too just to keep up with the class, but I won't actually take the test. My daughter got a gold medal last year.

It's very time/labor intensive and challenging.

If you're interested, you should get on the waiting list now . . . last year when classes started, the waiting list was in the neighborhood of 20.

There is also an annual convention in colorado but my girl isn't old enough to participate so I can't comment on that. We havne't gone before but eventhough she can't participate, she really wants to go. We'll see.

I have my 7th grader enrolled at Park City Independent and he loves it. You can move through all the grades at your own pace and you get an accredited high school diploma when you complete 12th. My son plans to start 8th grade in June and get a 3 month head start on his peers instead of going all summer without progressing.

I am also looking at online Latin, since he is fast moving beyond my capabilities in Latin.

:D

I think Memoria Press and Veritas now have an online options. We use Laurel Tree Tutorials for compostion. They also offer lit classes.

Based on personal experience, I would not recommend Memoria Press.... no accountability whatsoever there. Lukeion has been outstanding for Greek. They also teach Latin.

I was just about to post a question about TPS. I am so glad I saw this post.

I am seriously considering TPS for next year. I guess ds would have to start with JH Grammar, Composition, and Literature. I was just wondering about other people's experiences with the placement essay portion. How good were your dc at writing essays before taking this class.

Sorry to hijack.

Danielle

Dd is my former reluctant-writer. The placement test is what motivated me to really work with her last year. She placed into English 2 this year and it is rigorous, thorough and wonderful!

Here is a sampling of her work for English 2.

TPS teachers are amazing.

Ds & dd both took Latin with Mr. Spotts years ago also. He is fantastic.

Seriously, if you want a rigorous, engaging middle school online class, TPS is ideal.