Menu

'Tres haut' - pronunciation?

My understanding is that tres haute is pronounced something like "tray o."

I do understand that you sometimes pronounce the "s" if there is a word following that begins with a vowel sound, but this is how I've heard this phrase pronounced by French speakers.

Native French speakers: our choir director is telling us not to pronounce the 's' when we sing these words. Is that right? If so, when is the 's' not pronounced before a vowel/silent 'h'?

Thank you

Laura

I would have thought you would pronounce it, too, to make an elision with the h. But it seems there is agreement with your choir director in the choir world:

Choir forum post on this topic.

The word "haut" is one of those so-called aspirated h's, and it's not a quality of the word tres but a quality of the h. Like, you would write "le haut" and not "l'haut" whatever.

A hyphen wouldn't change the pronunciation. The hyphen would only go there anyway in the phrase "most high," which makes sense since you're singing a hymn.

• 12 years later...

In Racine’s text ‘Cantique de Jean Racine’, set to music by Fauré, I have sung ‘trés haut’ as ‘tray ho’.  This is how I direct my choir in Dorchester to sing the phrase, and it is the agreed pronunciation at both the Cathedral Choirs in Salisbury and Winchester.

Colin

• Haha 1