Menu

Wedding gift -- WWYD?

Should I send a wedding gift?  

1. 1. Should I send a wedding gift?

• Send a "congratulations on your wedding" card only, no gift.
    • Send an under $50 gift card.
    • Send a $50-$100 gift card.
    • Send an over $100 gift card.
    • Other.

My cousin's adult child recently got married.

I haven't seen my cousin in about five years; it has been longer than that since I've seen my cousin's child.

My dh, kids, and I were not invited to the wedding. I was not invited to the bridal shower.

Prior to the wedding, I received an email announcement (not an invitation) from my cousin.

In this case, I'm pondering whether I should send a gift. Poll is on its way...

Edited by TrixieB

I have a cousin who just got married. I live about 2.5 hours away and was not invited. I was not invited to his brother's or his sister's weddings either (neither were my other siblings). It has been very hurtful. We didn't get wedding announcements, either, either before or after the weddings. I don't know about my siblings, but I've decided not to send gifts or cards. In your case, at least you got an announcement. I'd send a card with a $20 gift card in that case.

I'd send a card. (We didn't have a wedding but we did mail out announcements with a picture of the 2 of us some couple of months later. Maybe wait a bit to see if you get a "real" announcement. If you do, I would consider a small gift card. Otherwise, a simple congratulatory card is sufficient. I do NOT think an email announcement is a "real" announcement. But that just might be me.)

I didn't vote b/c I could go with either of the first two, depending on if you ever receive any real communication from these folks. :)

Well, I guess the best etiquette is card. I'd be tempted to not really do anything because though related, if I haven't seen or heard from someone in five years or more and then the only way I hear about a major life event is an email, then I'd probably just send a congratulatory email back since there wasn't even the courtesy of a written announcement in the mail.

But, an inexpensive card is fine. I would not feel obliged to send a gift.

Faith

I haven't seen my cousin in about five years; it has been longer than that since I've seen my cousin's child.

My dh, kids, and I were not invited to the wedding. I was not invited to the bridal shower.

Prior to the wedding, I received an email announcement (not an invitation) from my cousin.

Well, you were the adult in this equation, so if there's been distance since childhood then ... well... whose fault was that? Why should she have invited you?

You can keep the distances between you and not even reply.

Or, you could send her something that you think every newlywed couple needs and a card. Maybe the two of you could build a relationship now, or at the very least you could keep from making the gap wider.

You got an email announcement. Send an e-card. :D

Seriously, I think that's perfectly in line with the communication route they've chosen.

This isn't a bad idea. They would have been better off spending money on card and stamp. :D Change in culture; go with it.

I see no reason not to send a nice card with a hand written note. Maybe with a sweet comment about how you remember your cousin as a bride or remember the bride/groom as a young child and hope that they have a lovely, happy marriage.