Menu

Spring semester registration woes...

Musicmom

Are anyone else’s dc in college having this problem? Ds (a freshman) has registration for spring semester tomorrow, and he’s having a terrible time figuring out how he can get the courses he needs. There are two required courses for his major and one for his minor which should hopefully not be a problem, but filling out the rest of his schedule is proving to be a nightmare. He’d like (and needs) to start working on fulfilling various requirements, prerequisites and/or electives for his major, and none of his options will work—it’s a huge tangled mess of prerequisites upon prerequisites, impossible co-requisites, conflicts with required courses, and on top of it all, most of the elective or breadth courses that he would find useful or interesting are simply not being offered in the spring. He’s down to only about 4 choices that he can even attempt, only one of which is good (and his advisor told him the chance of getting into that one is zero.) The other 3 are so far removed from his goals and interests as to be almost a complete waste of his time and energy. To make matters worse, by lot he has one of the last registration slots of the day, which basically means he will have a terrible time getting into anything at all (he just has to hope there are reserved seats in his required classes.)

His advisor (and there’s only one for his major) is of no help at all. The mantra there is everyone is the same and there are no exceptions. Dh is upset (I am too) and is one to fight the system, but at this point, there doesn’t appear to be a way to do that, and ds is so sleep-deprived and busy with homework and exams he literally has no time to meet with anyone or even try to fight the system.

Dh and I are at a loss as to how to help beyond supporting ds in whatever he’s able to come up with. It was so different when we went to school. At Dh’s school, students submitted the list of courses they needed to take and the school figured out its semester offerings and individual schedules from there. And at my school, there were registration frustrations, but there were avenues to get problems solved, advisors would help you, prereq’s were guidelines, and professors (not “the systemâ€) had ultimate authority over their classes. Here there seems to be no recourse.

Does anyone have any insights as to how to deal with this situation?

Thanks for listening! :tongue_smilie:

When I was in college it was like this.

He should get on the waiting lists for the classes that he would really like to take, and show up for the first few classes--1 1/2 weeks worth. When he attends the first day, he should ask the prof if he can be added. When he attends the second day he should do the same thing. Profs love to be loved, and kids do flake. I'll bet that he will get at least one of those better classes.

Also, if he ends up taking something he is not very interested in, maybe he will discover a new love. That's one of the reasons for 'breadth requirements'. Another is to facilitate a well-rounded education, which is a great goal!

I encourage you to think positively about this. It's not ideal, but it might turn out really well.

The other thing I would say is that he should look ahead and see if he can satisfy a future requirement this semester, even though he doesn't have to. That way maybe he will do better at getting the classes he wants later on, because he will be able to be more flexible.

Thats awful:grouphug::grouphug:, can he just straight up ask the advisor what is needed to finish this year ,plain and simple. Or is it to much of a mess, if so than just take courses applicable AA reqs.

Can he request a different advisor from the dean, or go to the dean, they might understand and help.

Dd's advisor threw out a bunch of lists and we just picked willy nilly, and she went back and the advisor said they were good. What ticks me off is we leave it in their hands and at the very last minute the poor kids are stuck taking a lot of classes their last year.

this happened to dd in high school.

What a mess! What school is this, if you don't mind me asking?

I've heard of this sort of thing before, and am hoping to avoid sending mine to schools where it's more common.

That is a great idea, b/c who wants their kids to go to non helping schools.

FYI, just an awesome shout out for dd school. They help her like noones business. And everyone is soooooo super nice.

Thank you all so much for your sympathy and calming, sage advice. I forgot about the option of attending the class and trying to add it later--so thanks for those suggestions. And maybe he could go to the dean if things really turn out badly for him. His school is SO great in so many ways (I wouldn't avoid it just because of this) it's just really upsetting that registration has to be such a nightmare.

Also, if he ends up taking something he is not very interested in, maybe he will discover a new love. That's one of the reasons for 'breadth requirements'. Another is to facilitate a well-rounded education, which is a great goal!

The other thing I would say is that he should look ahead and see if he can satisfy a future requirement this semester, even though he doesn't have to. That way maybe he will do better at getting the classes he wants later on, because he will be able to be more flexible.

Yes, absolutely, on both points... and this is exactly what ds is trying to do. There are so many areas where he'd like to broaden, and future requirements he'd like to meet so he can be better prepared later. So it's depressing that what he might end up with are courses that won't do either (I didn't explain in my op that his few choices are mostly repeats of areas he's already explored--and didn't like--in high school. Maybe he can get the one that's different...)

I encourage you to think positively about this. It's not ideal, but it might turn out really well.

Thanks so much. I do hope so. Taking a deep breath now... somehow it will all turn out. After all, God is in control. We'll see what happens.

Hopefully, things will work out for him. Will he get to register sooner as he gets more credits? At my son's school, registration times are handed out based upon how many credits you've taken, so theoretically, it should be easier to get the desired electives when the student is a sophomore, junior, etc.

I had one semester in my undergrad where I needed a 300-level Psych course to complete a depth requirement. The only class that would fit into my schedule was a course on Freud. I loathed every minute of that class, but I just had to 'get it done'. Sometimes you've got to stick out something that isn't ideal, and that isn't a bad lesson for a teen to learn.

I agree with the others to see if he can get on the wait list for the courses he'd rather take and try to go to them the first few weeks and see if he can add them. He might also wait until the registration period has ended and approach the specific professor and tell him/her how much he wants that class and see if the prof can give him special permission to enroll.

My ds did this with one course at our local cc that he wanted to take his senior year of high school. He didn't have the official prereqs for the course, so the advising center told him he couldn't take it. He felt pretty confident he could handle it, so he set up a meeting with the professor. The prof approved the course for him, he loved it, and he got a special award for doing well in it.

Sometimes it's worth exploring if you can get the rules 'bent' for you. Another good lesson for a teen to learn.

Best wishes to him,

Brenda

Classes at some schools are nearly impossible to get because of too many students for too few courses offered. It is incredibly frustrating. My dd is taking two classes next semester that she doesn't need and doesn't want to take, just because she can't get into the one last class she needs. This is at a cc, and she will still get her AA, but she wanted to take the course there instead of at the university she is transferring to so she can focus on just her upper division major classes there.

So here is my dd's advice:

1. Check the course registration list daily between now and the time school starts. Sometimes people drop the class, and if you find out soon enough, you can register for it. My dd and her friends sometimes watch out for classes each other wants to take and if they see an opening, they call and say "register NOW for X class because there is one spot open". It sometimes works. Dd once replaced 3 classes one semester, from classes she didn't want to take to courses she needed, just by watching for drops.

2. Be SURE to check the registration lists several times the first couple days after the 'drop for non-payment' date. She was able to get classes she wanted this way because if a student registers for a class and doesn't pay, then he is dropped from the class. If you are quick, you can register for that spot. Watch more than just the one day after the drop date because other students will also try to register for the courses they want, and sometimes they have to drop other classes to get the one they want, which may open up a course a day or two later.

3. Show up for the class the first week or two and be persuasive about wanting to add it. Some instructors will add more students than the computer registration allows in the class. Your ds may be fortunate and get to add the course. My dd had one instructor add about 25 students to one of her classes, just because they came the first two classes and he knew that the course was a required class.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Brenda and Photo Ninja! I appreciate your advice very much!

Ds has now registered, and it actually went much more smoothly than we ever imagined. Despite ending up having to register at the very end of the day (couldn't get out of class at his appointed time), he still got the majority of the classes that he wants/needs. :001_huh: He was amazed, and very relieved! :001_smile: For next fall, we expect he'll get a better registration slot, so maybe it won't be so stressful... but this past fall wasn't too smooth, so we'll see.

So now it's just the one remaining class to fill out his schedule that is the problem. He thought he was going to be stuck with "underwater basket weaving," but the next day he was able to put himself on the wait list for the class he really wants. That wait list isn't nearly as long as he thought it would be (some were over 100! :tongue_smilie:), so there's actually some hope of getting in. He's checking frequently to see if the waitlist gets processed before the semester starts, and we're encouraging him that even if it doesn't, to attend the class anyway and see if someone drops.

In the meantime, because of a for-sure course that he has to wait to register for anyway, he was able to get a confirmed seat in an alternative class which, while it would be his third time through the subject material, would at least start a prerequisite sequence, and perhaps by seeing the professor or the dept he could place into the second course in that sequence (which he should try to do anyway.) But even if he's stuck with it, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

So thanks again for all your advice. I hope registration for everyone else's college dc goes well!

Our local Uni is like this. I hate to say it, but here, it is a money maker. They need to hire more faculty so they can offer more time slots for these necessary classes, but they won't because they can make more money off the student getting behind and ending up staying a 5th or even 6th year to complete their major. Some classes will have 400 students needing it and they will only offer it on MWF at 1:00 p.m. with a maximum of 60 students leaving 340 out to lunch!

I think the squeaky wheel gets the grease! So, I encourage him to keep "dogging" professors. They like to have enthusiastic, goal oriented students and might bump him up or encourage someone not showing interestin the material to drop out.

Faith

I had an absolutely horrible advisor in my undergrad days. Just not helpful at all. Couldn't give me any real advice on what was a prudent order to take things in. And I still kick myself over a couple courses he talked me out of taking.

I ended up going back to the prof I'd had for first semester freshman year lit. He and I would work out what courses I should take for my major, then I'd take the form to the advisor for the required signature.

I kept in contact with this prof even after he transferred to another college. Maybe your ds can find someone who can fill this role for him.

What a mess! What school is this, if you don't mind me asking?

I've heard of this sort of thing before, and am hoping to avoid sending mine to schools where it's more common.

PLease!

My cousin (back in the day) left the of Michigan without his degree because of a freshman required course, unrelated to his major, that he was unable to get into ALL FOUR YEARS. That's 8 semesters in a row that he requested it and did not get in!

He got into grad school without it. :001_smile:

I hate to say it, but here, it is a money maker. They need to hire more faculty so they can offer more time slots for these necessary classes, but they won't because they can make more money off the student getting behind and ending up staying a 5th or even 6th year to complete their major. Some classes will have 400 students needing it and they will only offer it on MWF at 1:00 p.m. with a maximum of 60 students leaving 340 out to lunch!

I really think this is planned also. That's why it is so important to spread the word, so (lack of) enrollment at these schools can reflect our displeasure.

This type of thing is currently being reported as a problem at U of M Flint, Saginaw State University, Central Michigan, and Ferris State University. So far we have not heard of these problems with MSU. I am not currently in contact with anyone attending Wayne State, Rochester, Oakland, Western Mi, Northern Mi, or Lake Superior State. We've heard the horror stories of U of M Flint but they seem to be within only a couple of departments and not campus wide but I don't know about the main campus in Ann Arbor.

Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Mi. has a marvelous reputation for treating it's students very well.

They need to hire more faculty so they can offer more time slots for these necessary classes, but they won't because they can make more money off the student getting behind and ending up staying a 5th or even 6th year to complete their major.

Maybe this is the case for your university - but this should not be generalized. There are many factors that cause classes being overbooked. Lack of instructors may be one thing (and since state legislators cut funding to the public universities, almost all schools are dealing with a hiring freeze and have no permission to hire additional faculty).

Another crucial factor is lack of classroom space. With enrollment growing, this critically limits the class offerings at universities. If all the available classrooms for lectures and recitations are booked solid throughout the day, there simply is no space to put another section, even if you did have an instructor. And this is something extremely hard to fix, because buildings are expensive. There is no money for new buildings (unless some rich alumni donate) - tuition revenue certainly can not pay for it. (There hardly is enough budget to properly maintain existing buildings; the temperature in my office is 58 degrees because they can't fix the heat.

So, I do not think you are dealing with a money making scheme, because it would not be in the best interest of a university to show up in statistics with a low 4 year graduation rate.

Maybe this is the case for your university - but this should not be generalized. There are many factors that cause classes being overbooked. Lack of instructors may be one thing (and since state legislators cut funding to the public universities, almost all schools are dealing with a hiring freeze and have no permission to hire additional faculty).

Another crucial factor is lack of classroom space. With enrollment growing, this critically limits the class offerings at universities. If all the available classrooms for lectures and recitations are booked solid throughout the day, there simply is no space to put another section, even if you did have an instructor. And this is something extremely hard to fix, because buildings are expensive. There is no money for new buildings (unless some rich alumni donate) - tuition revenue certainly can not pay for it. (There hardly is enough budget to properly maintain existing buildings; the temperature in my office is 58 degrees because they can't fix the heat.

So, I do not think you are dealing with a money making scheme, because it would not be in the best interest of a university to show up in statistics with a low 4 year graduation rate.

Regentrude speaks from experience as a prof, and I can speak from experience as the poor slob who had to schedule classes years ago. There are not enough classrooms. And professors try to keep their class sizes manageable. Crashing classes is simply a way of life at most public universities and happens in some private ones too, no doubt.

My ds is facing the same situation -- courses he NEEDS to take that are already full and his registration day isn't for 2 more weeks. Early morning classes are the last to fill, which is how he got into this semester's math course -- it meets at 7am!!!

There was the funniest episode of the tv show "Community" which takes place on a community college campus. The dean of the school organized a "winner take all" paint ball game, and when it was announced the prize was priority registration, the students got ruthless.

There was the funniest episode of the tv show "Community" which takes place on a community college campus. The dean of the school organized a "winner take all" paint ball game, and when it was announced the prize was priority registration, the students got ruthless.

Cute! But sadly, it sounds like it's true for far too many places. Reading this thread is making me reconsider whether I want to put a state school at the top of middle son's list due to the potential for free tuition or a free ride or if it's worth a bit more than I had considered to go private instead. We'll have to mull over our options when the time comes (not till next year).

Well... while I'd almost expect these kinds of registration difficulties at a state school, especially a large state school, ds actually is at a selective private university :001_huh: which isn't all that big, so this took us by surprise. I suspect in the case of ds's school, it's most likely space/resource issues that are much of the problem (though I really don't get why most of the humanities courses aren't offered in the spring... what do those majors DO?) And the rest we think is mostly due to ds's freshman advisor not being a very optimistic person--the course he told ds there was no hope for has a waitlist of only 4 (including ds now)--he's one to give up instead of telling ds how to best position himself... Oh well. At the end of this year, ds will move on to another advisor who will oversee the rest of his undergraduate years. We've heard this professor speak and like him very much, so hopefully things will go better. Ds should get a better registration slot for next fall, too.

Thanks everyone, for the discussion and anecdotes. I think what this points out to me is that no school is immune to these problems. When visiting colleges, it might be a really good idea to ask about the registration process, waitlists, and how difficult it is for students to get the courses they need--maybe get both an official viewpoint and talk with students privately to get their perspective. Then at least you'd know what you're up against and can weigh it in with all the other decision factors. It wouldn't have changed ds's decision--it's horribly frustrating but the positives still outweigh it--but maybe for others, depending on the school and the child, it could be a deciding point.

DId this school have a recent addition of students? I think that can often be a problem. At the school we visited yesterday, just in the last year they have had an addition of 10% more students. THe guides talked about evening classes that were being held at this mostly residential school. I have now warned dd to not choose a school like this because she needs to only have daytime classes.