Menu

WWE - How long does it take you?

Hedgehog

Yet another WWE question.. sorry.. please bear with me! DD11 is beginning WWE 3, and DD9 is beginning WWE 2.

I'm thinking that we could do one of two schedules; either 4x a week or 2x a week:

4x a week

Day 1 - 30mins

Day 2 - 15mins or less

Day 3 - 30mins

Day 4 - 15mins or less

2x a week

Day 1 - 40-45mins

Day 2 - 40-45mins

Those time scales are based on having done just 2-3 lessons each - do they sound about right? I'm trying to fit WWE into our schedule and having difficulty knowing how best to do so. If you have any suggestions of how well either idea would work or any other ideas, I would love to hear from you!

TIA!

Well, I know my dc would balk at doing 45 minutes of WWE. We do WWE on a 4 day schedule but I do days 1 and 2 on Mon., and day 4 on Wed. Then another day 1 and 2 on Thur., and day 4 on Fri. We skip the day 3 copywork becuase we have copywork from other sources that we also do. I have it scheduled for 30 minutes per day. That includes a story, narration and the copywork. I save the copywork for last so that if her 30 minutes is up and I need to move onto working with someone else she can sit beside me to finish the copywork. Once we move into dictation I will not do 2 days in 1 so I'm thinking it will still only take us about 30 minutes per session. It would probably take us less time if dd didn't want to have a lengthy conversation about what happened next in the story or if she knows the story she wants to tell me what happens next.

Edited by 5LittleMonkeys
can't spell

Yet another WWE question.. sorry.. please bear with me! DD11 is beginning WWE 3, and DD9 is beginning WWE 2.

I'm thinking that we could do one of two schedules; either 4x a week or 2x a week:

4x a week

Day 1 - 30mins

Day 2 - 15mins or less

Day 3 - 30mins

Day 4 - 15mins or less

2x a week

Day 1 - 40-45mins

Day 2 - 40-45mins

Those time scales are based on having done just 2-3 lessons each - do they sound about right? I'm trying to fit WWE into our schedule and having difficulty knowing how best to do so. If you have any suggestions of how well either idea would work or any other ideas, I would love to hear from you!

TIA!

Honestly I never would do more than two days of WWE in one real day. Children just need a certain amount of time to absorb things, and you don't want it to be overly tedious.

With my 4th grader it takes 5-10 mins max, but she is doing level 1. :D Copywork days probably take all of 2 mins. Soon I will start doing 2 days of work in one day, and then it will take closer to 5-15 mins.

But I don't do dictation work as memory work, I do word by word dictation and use Visualizing and Verbalizing to develop memory. It would be too frustrating to both me and the girls to do dictation for memory work, as we are all dyslexic and will make multiple errors. It would be putting on spot light on our weakest area. Why do that when there is another way? KWIM?

Heather

We just do one lesson a day, 4x a week. :confused: It only takes about 10-15 minutes.

Same here. WWE 1 with a 2nd grader with meticulous printing.

WWE3 with a 4th grader with atrocious (but improving thanks to WWE) cursive.

Btw, my 4th grader used to have lovely handwriting too but it just goes downhill with nearly all of my children as they get older?

lj

I am working level 2 with my fourth grader and we also do day one and two on one day, day 3 on another, and day four on another, and then we move on and start it that way all over again. So we don't really go the Mon., Tues., Wed. route.

Each lesson, or day takes us about 10 minutes. (So on Monday that's about 20 minutes) The day we do the dictation may take a bit longer as if the dictation is long, I prefer to do a studied dictation. But it's one of those things that we do and move right along. It really doesn't take that much time at all. :)

Dee

ps We did start this (WWE) a few weeks ago and we are on week 12 chronologically, but on week 7 of our WWE. Since I am trying to complete our curriculum in a 36 week time slot, we initially started this schedule so that we could catch up, but I may just keep it this way and either speed up or slow down as we see fit. :lol:

WWE 2 with a 2nd grader here. 4x/week, about 10 minutes per day. Day 4 is a bit longer than the others since there is narration and dictation.

When we were finishing WWE 1 last year, we were a bit behind schedule and did several weeks of 2 lessons per day. It worked fine for WWE 1 because we just did a narration and a copywork each day. WWE 2 isn't as symmetrical and I think it would be a little more awkward to group lessons together. Maybe days 2 & 3 would combine okay (copywork, then a dictation of that copywork), so I could see a 3 days/week schedule. But 4 per week is the most natural rhythm for WWE 2 I think.

I don't know anything about WWE 3.

My older 3 are nearly done with WWE 4. I have them do 2 days' worth in one day (so both narration and dictation all on one day) because they are older and need to move ahead at a quicker pace. Including the reading of the passage (I choose the passages from our science/social studies/lit studies - I don't use the WWE workbooks), it takes us about 20-30 minutes per day. So this includes:

them reading the passage

them narrating the passage to me

them writing down their narration (they are to the point where they are to write down their entire narration)

me dictating a passage to them

So it sounds like the older the child, the more they can do in a day (within reason!) which is how it is for most other subjects IME.

I've scheduled DD11 to do WWE 3 twice a week (two "days" in one) but I'm going to see how DD9 goes on. She may need to do shorter sessions more frequently.

Thanks all!

My 8yo does 2 days of WWE3 4 days per week (so she reads, writes a 3-sentence narration, and does a dictation each day). I'd say it takes 15-20 minutes total. As someone else mentioned, I wouldn't do more than two "days" in a single day, 'cause then you'd be repeating work (multiple narrations or dictations) without allowing it time to sink in.

We do WWE 3 most days. I do day 1 and 2 on the same day because day 1 is narration that doesn't require writing from my DD... I do day 3 and 4 on separate days because they both require writing. It takes us 20-30 minutes a day. We are able to get a week and a half worth of work done in one week using this schedule... I'm hoping to finish WWE 3 and get started on WWE 4 this year (working with a 5th grader).

So it sounds like the older the child, the more they can do in a day (within reason!) which is how it is for most other subjects IME.

I've scheduled DD11 to do WWE 3 twice a week (two "days" in one) but I'm going to see how DD9 goes on. She may need to do shorter sessions more frequently.

Thanks all!

Yes, my younger 2 are doing WWE 1, and we do just one day's work per day. It takes about 10 minutes (shorter for copywork days).