Menu

Does anyone scrape instead of scrub?

My skin is excellent. I do not use soap, any cleansers, scrubs, or even a washcloth. Just water. Every day. Plus a natural moisturiser when I am dry. That's it. Maybe every few months I play with lotions, potions and scrubs for fun but I really think there is a lot of marketing around all such things and they don't seem to be necessary at all.

I have a friend who uses her fingernails to scrape dead skin cells gently off her face in the shower. It seems like I've heard about this somewhere before. Does anyone else do it, and is there some kind of a scraping tool one can use in lieu of either fingernails or washcloths?

I think using your fingernails to scrape your skin is a bad idea. There are a lot of germs growing under a persons fingernails.

I assume you don't wear makeup. ;)

My skin is excellent. I do not use soap, any cleansers, scrubs, or even a washcloth. Just water. Every day. Plus a natural moisturiser when I am dry. That's it. Maybe every few months I play with lotions, potions and scrubs for fun but I really think there is a lot of marketing around all such things and they don't seem to be necessary at all.

You're saying she uses her fingernails as her exfoliator? I tried using an exfoliator or two, they left more crud on my face. Isn't that what an exfoliator does? I'm obviously not a cosmetologist.

I use soap, moisturizer, astringents, not all the time, not all at once. When showering once I had an itch on my face, I have fingernails. I scratched, I looked in my nail and there was crud. I had washed my face. What is the crud? So I kept doing it! I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it works for me since I'm in the shower and can quickly clean the crud out of my fingernails while I'm in the shower!

What a strange topic for a thread.:tongue_smilie:

I don't use a lot of stuff, but water will not clean off my makeup and my skin gets really oily. I have never had dry facial skin. I love using a washcloth on my face. It feels disgusting without using one at night.

I do use a very mild facial soap, though, and no moisturizers except eye cream (which really does help with the appearance of wrinkles).

That's all I use.

No soap, cleansers, scrubs, or wash cloths.

Just water in the shower each day. Sometimes I wonder if people who use lots of skin care "stuff" have ever tried using nothing. :001_smile:

Oh yes, I know it won't work for some people, but I'm speaking more about people like a couple of my friends. Right away as teens they were convinced of the need for a full line of skin care products, and they've used them ever since. Not everyone needs a skin care "regime", in spite of cosmetic/skin care manufacturers' propaganda. :001_smile:

When I'm in the shower and I let the water run over my head and face, I do swipe the water across my face a few times with my hands, but that's all that seems necessary in my case. I wear makeup, but it must wear off a bit during the day, because that nighttime shower seems to get enough off.

• 11 years later...
On 11/5/2010 at 5:36 PM, Laurie4b said:

This is what I do, too.

Same with me! I have used nothing but water for over a year and a half, and just a natural moisturizer. My skin has never been better. I also exfoliate with my finger nails. It feels cool and it’s super effective!