Grammar poll :3rd grade

Mommamia

Grammar poll:3rd grade  

1. 1. Grammar poll:3rd grade

• First Language Lessons
    • Growing With Grammar
    • Rod and Staff
    • Easy Grammar

I didn't vote, because my OCD brain doesn't compare R&S and GWG to EG, as they also teach writing and other things that EG doesn't.:D

If I wanted just grammar, I'd go with EG. If I wanted a more comprehensive English, I'd go with R&S. Using R&S for *only* grammar, skipping the writing and other topics, just doesn't work for me. :-/

I didn't vote, because my OCD brain doesn't compare R&S and GWG to EG, as they also teach writing and other things that EG doesn't.:D

If I wanted just grammar, I'd go with EG. If I wanted a more comprehensive English, I'd go with R&S. Using R&S for *only* grammar, skipping the writing and other topics, just doesn't work for me. :-/

I've read several of your post on other subjects, and respect your opinion as a "seasoned" homeschooler. I'm just guessing that R&S is what you used when you had littles, b/c GWG is relatively new. Would you take some time and possibly give your thoughts on GWG? possibly comparing to R&S.....

thanks so much

I do FLL with my 1st/2nd graders. I wouldn't consider it enough for a 3rd grader.

I've used Rod and Staff for all my kids (grades 3 and up), and love it!

FLL is also available for older grades:001_smile: I believe it is in workbook form(but could be totally wrong about that)

Which grammar did/do you like best?

FLL

Growing With Grammar

Rod and Staff

Easy Grammar

Thanks!

I put FLL, but it really is for the auditory learner. My ds is visual with auditory processing problems and prefers to work on his own. Generally he does better work on his own, because he relaxes and doesn't feel put on the spot. Thus he will do GWG.

Heather

I put FLL, but it really is for the auditory learner. My ds is visual with auditory processing problems and prefers to work on his own. Generally he does better work on his own, because he relaxes and doesn't feel put on the spot. Thus he will do GWG.

Heather

Thanks for sharing this. My ds has auditory processing issues as well. I just had an "a-ha" moment when you shared this. Thanks again.

Thanks for sharing this. My ds has auditory processing issues as well. I just had an "a-ha" moment when you shared this. Thanks again.

My ds , 6, has (or used to have) AP as well. I was very skeptical to use FLL because of the reason mentioned by the pp. But I tried anyway. Amazing results! A few months later , he was tested and they said his AP skills are normal. I believe FLL has played a role into that. I read it very slowly to him . He also listens a lot to audio books , even if he does not get a lot out of them. It still helps .

Since FLL is cheap, especially the previous ed. , I'd suggest you try it. When my son gets older , I am considering R&S and if this does not work, he will do ACE English and Literature.

FLL is also available for older grades:001_smile: I believe it is in workbook form(but could be totally wrong about that)

Oh! Thanks! I didn't know that.

I bought it when it first came out, and was already using R&S with my oldest child, so I never looked for anything else. I didn't realize that they'd come out with a version of FLL for older children.

Thanks! :)

My ds , 6, has (or used to have) AP as well. I was very skeptical to use FLL because of the reason mentioned by the pp. But I tried anyway. Amazing results! A few months later , he was tested and they said his AP skills are normal. I believe FLL has played a role into that. I read it very slowly to him . He also listens a lot to audio books , even if he does not get a lot out of them. It still helps .

Since FLL is cheap, especially the previous ed. , I'd suggest you try it. When my son gets older , I am considering R&S and if this does not work, he will do ACE English and Literature.

Thanks for your input. We actually used FLL 1/2. I'm wondering about FLL 3. We are reading through R & S 2 as a refresher until I decide what to do for level 3. With that, I like all of the choices that I have listed:tongue_smilie:That's my problem, I can't choose. I was thinking of purchasing R&S 3 and use it orally while doing GWG3. Too much? Now I'm wondering about FLL3:glare: I want them all!

Thanks for your input. We actually used FLL 1/2. I'm wondering about FLL 3. We are reading through R & S 2 as a refresher until I decide what to do for level 3. With that, I like all of the choices that I have listed:tongue_smilie:That's my problem, I can't choose. I was thinking of purchasing R&S 3 and use it orally while doing GWG3. Too much? Now I'm wondering about FLL3:glare: I want them all!

LOL! That is a lot of grammar. :D

With my ds the consideration is also his desire to be independent and the fact that he usually actually gets more answers right when he is independent.

My 3rd dd also has mild auditory issues and did fine with FLL 1/2. Though I love JAG, so I didn't continue with 3 or 4.

Heather