Menu

What have you done lately that's worked really well?

I don't mean something like chapter 13 of such-and-such text. I want to hear the uplifting stories of things you've done with your kids where everything just "clicked," and you all felt like it was a great, satisfying homeschool day or event. :D

For me, it was shopping with my ds one afternoon last week. He's always been really shy, but that afternoon I saw how he was really coming into his own. He confidently asked the bookstore employee where to find a couple of books he wanted; he independently bought something at a different store; and when he realized it wasn't what he'd thought, he returned it all on his own! It made me so proud to see how much he's grown up recently. It was just one of those all-around great days - we got out schoolwork done early, we had a nice lunch together while shopping, and we both just had a great time hanging out together.

So what have your successes been lately? :bigear:

We've just done a series of real world chemistry related field trips that have worked out well and that always makes me feel good. We visited our local water treatment plant; one of our sewage treatment facilities; a local apple orchard, where the grower talked about conventional vs. organic growing methods, and then the kids played; and a local winery, where the owner talked about all the chemistry involved in the winemaking process....

For it hasn't been so much something I've done as much as how what we're studying has merged in a neat way with real life. We are reading about Lewis and Clark right now. Both kids have enjoyed listening to me read aloud "Bold Journey". We have a bird feeder that is esp. busy at this time of year with birds and with squirrels. Lately we've had a new species of squirrel appear - a small red squirrel that is different than the usual gray squirrel that we see all the time. Well, I looked up this squirrel and found out that it is a Douglas squirrel, which was first identified (by a European) by Lewis and Clark in 1806. Dd8 esp. has been so excited to see real life meet our book life.

Ok, not what you're looking for, but, after much trial and error, my dd and I perfected our no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookie recipe:D I know it doesn't seem life changing but dd was diagnosed celiac and this was a favorite cookie from before that she can still have which was really special!

A couple weeks ago I was wandering around a dermatology site and my kiddo came up. I started pulling up pics of melanoma and psoriasis and acne, etc. and discussing risk factors and etiology and treatment. I described how bullae form, and the all the fun terms like "rat-bite ulcer" or "strawberry tongue". He asked many questions and started using some the words I was using (papular, indurated). I was having fun, but as the time went on, I started feeling overwhelmed with joy (I think I have a budding MD or RN and would LOVE for that to happen). I didn't plan it, but it was perfect.

(There was a funny moment when a chancre came up you-know-where. I discussed the form and depth and location, and then he asked "so, how do you get this?" I told him. BOY did he get sober. It is rare for him to shut his yap for more than 30 seconds, but he was sober a good four minutes.:lol:. I didn't even plan it!)

Ok, not what you're looking for, but, after much trial and error, my dd and I perfected our no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookie recipe:D I know it doesn't seem life changing but dd was diagnosed celiac and this was a favorite cookie from before that she can still have which was really special!

Hey, my story was about going shopping, so I definitely think perfecting a recipe counts!

Friday swimming.

Our neighborhood pool offers a daytime rec swim for homeschoolers (and anyone else free to swim mid-morning). Last year, we went occasionally but I often chose to skip it because I thought we didn't have time.

This year I made a commitment to swimming every Friday. We have so much fun! We laugh together, a lot. Ds9 gets some much-needed extra exercise. My younger boys have become more comfortable in the water. Swimming makes a great play date with other homeschool friends. We've gotten to know the wonderful pool staff. Afternoon school flows easily because we are all so relaxed.

We now have a lovely Friday routine: Swim-Library-Play a game & drink hot chocolate-Read-Lunch-History or Art or Science project and anything that didn't get done M-Th.

:)

Cat

We dropped some extras (I know my opinion that history is an extra might be disputed :)) to make room for interests. Younger dd is finger knitting a scarf. It's about twice as long as her, but she says it needs to be REALLY long. Older dd crocheted a bracelet and is starting a scrunchy. She wants to make one for each of her soccer team members. I'm even working on ....something. It will be squarish, whatever it is. And a lovely, variegated, autumn-hued, square thing it will be. Maybe a pot holder? Anyway, we are having fun with it.

Edited by snickelfritz

DD does not really like science, so it's always been a struggle to get her to retain much of it. Which. Kills. Me.

But she loves theater. She is in a play whenever she has a chance.

So now we devote Fridays to science. I teach her the science lesson, and then she teaches it back to me. Sometimes a lab is included. Then, when I know she's got it, we videotape her teaching the lesson. She can use an accent or add any other dramatic flair she likes, once I know she's got the content mastered.

Then we edit - we set up a green screen and everything. I told her if we get good at it she can post some on You Tube.

She doesn't mind doing science now!:001_smile:

Chores and plotting out things we're going to "learn" to do. Kids can now do laundry! Folding is next.... :001_smile:

My boys are mouth breathers and have had cavities. We started Dr Ellie's system for all of us and so far so good, though we use another xylitol gum. We've gone over the "system," read the blog posts together, wrote out the steps, and have seen success with better all around oral care. No cavities for the older 2 at last dental appt !:hurray: If nothing else we've ramped up on better oral care here!

School-wise, we're all loving our switch to VP history - loving the cards and workbook with lots of readers. We also jumped feet first into Apologia Anatomy and everyone is enjoying it. History and science are getting done and being enjoyed more. Memory work while eating breakfast -- HUGE success, memory work IS getting done daily now.

Smartest purchases this year -- Beakman's World and Bill Nye videos.

For me, it was an apparent failure that turned to a success. I rented a film from Netflix called: Islam, Empire of Faith. Ds 14 about had a meltdown over many historical inaccuracies. (He's a history buff.) It was on the edge of being a disaster ("I'm NOT going to watch this!") when we suggested that he write down the inaccuracies and write a review for Netflix of specific things that were inaccurate. (Other reviews tended to be very broad.) While he's not gotten around to writing the review yet, it was a shining homeschool moment as he learned how to channel that logic stage angst into something constructive instead of just getting mad about it.

Our pastor likes to interrupt himself mid sermon and ask random people in the congregation "ABCD...What did you just hear? What has the Lord been telling you through His Word?" :001_huh:

This past Sunday, he picked on my 17 y.o. (who ALWAYS looked like he wasn't paying attention when I read aloud~be it history, science, literature, what have you, but heard. every. word.) and ds rolled out an answer that made me pause and think "wow, you really were listening."

DD does not really like science, so it's always been a struggle to get her to retain much of it. Which. Kills. Me.

But she loves theater. She is in a play whenever she has a chance.

So now we devote Fridays to science. I teach her the science lesson, and then she teaches it back to me. Sometimes a lab is included. Then, when I know she's got it, we videotape her teaching the lesson. She can use an accent or add any other dramatic flair she likes, once I know she's got the content mastered.

Then we edit - we set up a green screen and everything. I told her if we get good at it she can post some on You Tube.

She doesn't mind doing science now!:001_smile:

What an EXCELLENT idea. My almost 10 y.o. would love doing this. Love it.

I'm definitely going to tuck this idea away and use it later.

Cat

I was getting bogged down by trying to get the reluctant males in my house to help me keep it clean and tidy. I've given up quite a bit in my expectations of cleanliness, which helps. But, the best thing I've done and seems to be working really well, is to implement "Saturday Chores". I divided the house up into 4 areas, and each person is assigned an area on Saturday morning. I have devised checklists for what needs to be accomplished in each area. I keep a running log of who did which area, and we rotate weekly. That way, I know that at least once a month, each area will actually get cleaned well (by me :D) and the other areas will at least not be too bad. Even dh recognizes that the Saturday chores are having a good effect on all of us.

I have noticed lately what a great impression my kids make on people. Ds15 just had an interview with the deputy principal of the highschool he is goign to next year., and he communicated so openly and honestly and confidently, looking the guy in the eyes like a young man. I was so proud.

We had some guests a few days ago who we see once a year or so, and both kids shared in the adult conversation openly and beautifully. The guests were so impressed that they kept commenting on them, and told dh and i what great job we had done and they told the kids how lucky they were to have been homeschooled. It was lovely.

I've stopped trying to push through adolescent tiredness.

If he's exhausted from a growth spurt, I send him to bed. If he is just out of sorts and not processing well, I have him read a book or we just watch a fun (non-educational) video.

Nothing "sticks" during those periods anyway, so why waste the time and get all aggravated about it?

I just wish I'd learned this years ago...

a