Menu

Moms Who Work at Home

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Guest mrsjamiesouth

What do you do and how do you get started??

I need a job soon and I have not had a job in 11 years. I am 4 classes short of a degree in Chemistry, with no way to just finish them because I couldn't jump into an Advanced Analytical or do Seminar and Research classes after 10 years. I really don't want to go back to college, as I want to homeschool and I have a 2yo so we couldn't afford daycare. My dh works odd hours and his days rotate so I cannot count on him being home at anytime. I do not have any friends or family who would be willing to babysit.

TIA :001_smile:

I work part-time from home for the same company I worked at full time before having children.

You could do an in-home daycare. If any of you have a master's degree, that's enough to teach online classes at places like University of Phoenix or ITT Tech.

I'm not currently doing it, but I was doing customer service and sales from home. I worked for LiveOps for a long time. I have also worked for Westathome. They each have their positives. LiveOps is sweet money if you can do it well. I made more money on the general line than the insurance line (where I started). Other homeschoolers, even with young children do it. It works well because the best time to do it is super early morning or late evening when kiddos are ideally in bed anyway.

I found out about it from an AOL article four years or so ago then followed it up by watching the GMA videos.

I've also done childcare.

Guest momk2000

I also do LiveOps, but very part time at this point due to medical problems. I used to bring in a significant amt. of supplemental income doing LO, it's a really good opportunity.

What do you do and how do you get started??

I need a job soon and I have not had a job in 11 years. I am 4 classes short of a degree in Chemistry, with no way to just finish them because I couldn't jump into an Advanced Analytical or do Seminar and Research classes after 10 years. I really don't want to go back to college, as I want to homeschool and I have a 2yo so we couldn't afford daycare. My dh works odd hours and his days rotate so I cannot count on him being home at anytime. I do not have any friends or family who would be willing to babysit.

TIA :001_smile:

I work at home doing book keeping for my dh. Before I worked for him, I did book keeping for a nursery school. It only required me to go there every other week to deliver payroll. I also had to go to the post oiffice and the bank, but it was very flexible...and I just went when I had to. If I had to, I would inquire to small businesses and see if they needed someone to take care of their books, invoicing, doing collections etc. You can work from home now and interface with the company online.

Good Luck,

Faithe

OMG, Arise is SO not a scam!!! Check out the website...it's legit. Doubtful a CEO of a scam company would sit on the same room as Obama or on the couch on the Good Morning America show.

Doubt a scam company would have contracts with these MAJOR corporations. Doubt I would be about to go to work in 15 minutes for a scam company. Doubt I would be paying my car payment, purchasing my children's halloween costumes, and signing up for field trips all on money I made on a scam. I am a real life homeschooler, been on this board for a few yearss, as you can see all of my posts. Doubt I would ruin my reputation here by putting out a scam.

You are putting out false information, that is harmful to those who honestly may be looking for some extra income to help their families

Arise even has a page on Facebook, which, I know means nothing as anyone can be on Facebook, but the point is there are tons of people who work with Arise posting there, as well as Arise will respond to questions.

Please do some research besides the infamous "google it" before putting out false information.

I will say that Arise was one of the companies on the AOL article (it was actually a Women For Hire article on AOL). Additionally, I believe it *was* on one of the GMA segments I saw. Also, it is included as a pre-screened company on rat race rebellion which is considered reputable.

Additionally, some people don't like Westathome or LiveOps either. Though I made a pretty penny with LiveOps, not everyone will make as much (though several people from my congregation back home have since joined and got good part time incomes also).

*I* chose not to look into Arise further as I was not willing to put money into something I wasn't sure how was going to turn out. A background check seemed like a reasonable expense. Incorporating did not. JMO. Additionally, almost no one, if anyone, on the LiveOps boards suggests Arise as another option while lots of other companies are used as supplements.

Bosket, I'm glad Arise is going well for you. No doubt that it is bothersome that others call it a scam.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Thanks for all the ideas. I won't do anything that requires me paying a company to work for them. I figured childcare was the most obvious choice. I am not super fond of toddlers, it is the hardest age for me. I adore babies, but eventually they turn into toddlers.:001_smile: Somedays it is hard homeschooling with my 2yo, so I can't imagine doing it with other people's toddlers.

I do bake and in July started trying to sell my goods. I got a job catering a party and made $240, but haven't gotten any catering jobs since. I went to 2 Fall Festivals and worked a booth selling my goods. I made $60 at one (it was totally empty) and $200 at the other. I have had 3 friends buy a few things from me.

I am not very outgoing and I am having a hard time putting the word out. A few friends suggested I go around to small coffee shops or cafes and bring samples asking them to buy from me to sell to customers.

Here is the blog I made to advertise:

http://alexisbakes.blogspot.com/

I teach piano out of my home. Currently I have 21 students weekly, and it is FANTASTIC money ($25-$30/hour around here). My 3 children (7,6, and 4) have grown up with me doing it, so they are used to having to find something to do outside or upstairs while I'm in lessons. Now, I'm due with a baby in June, so that's going to really upset things, and I don't know what we'll do then. But for the past 9 years, it's been a wonderful home business. My main difficulty this school year has been that I am tired of teaching after homeschooling all morning, to have to start up with piano lessons in the afternoon.

But, we need the money, so it gets done. Now I'm nauseous all the time, and exhausted......but that's the way it goes. :001_smile: I like that I can make my own schedule, cancel lessons if I or the one of the kids get sick, and share my love of music with (mostly) fun and interesting kids!

Hope you're able to find something.......I don't think we could survive if we didn't have our small music business (my husband teaches guitar on the side after working all day elsewhere)! It's a real blessing for us.

I do medical billing from home. We use GoToMyPC so that I can log into the system at the office from a remote location (home). I do have a background in insurance claims and working in billing in a different office. I usually go into the office once every week or two to pick up paper work but now so much of it is online so that I can print reports from home.

I would think any job that uses a computer exclusively without requiring access to an office, paper files, or face-to-face customer contact could be done using remote access. I have a separate phone line for work calls and faxes. With so many things electronic the options should be increasing for this option.

By the way home offices are tax deductible along with alot of expenses like a portion of utilities, internet, etc (check with your tax advisor).

That said, it is difficult to get things done with little ones around and work is always there looking at you!

Gina

OMG, Arise is SO not a scam!!! Check out the website...it's legit. Doubtful a CEO of a scam company would sit on the same room as Obama or on the couch on the Good Morning America show.

Doubt a scam company would have contracts with these MAJOR corporations. Doubt I would be about to go to work in 15 minutes for a scam company. Doubt I would be paying my car payment, purchasing my children's halloween costumes, and signing up for field trips all on money I made on a scam. I am a real life homeschooler, been on this board for a few yearss, as you can see all of my posts. Doubt I would ruin my reputation here by putting out a scam.

You are putting out false information, that is harmful to those who honestly may be looking for some extra income to help their families

Arise even has a page on Facebook, which, I know means nothing as anyone can be on Facebook, but the point is there are tons of people who work with Arise posting there, as well as Arise will respond to questions.

Please do some research besides the infamous "google it" before putting out false information.

Anyone can do fifteen minutes of research and find out that Arise is ripping people off.

You have to pay something like forty bucks a month for the "privilege" of working for them. Then you have to pay hundreds of dollars for courses, after which the company generally fires you for "performance issues." I'd love to know how that isn't a scam.

But hey, if you consider that a good deal, I'm happy for you.

Next best thing to working at home is to just work part time. I work part time for the company I worked full time for before I started homeschooling, and my mother-in-law retired at just that time too and was free to babysit, so it all worked out.

How about becoming a pharmaceutical rep? I would think your chemistry background would serve you well in that.

There are a lot of things you can do from home. I worked as a medical transcriptionist for a while, but have decided to move into another field. Anyway, here are a few websites you can use to research different type of work at home jobs or business ideas:

http://www.ratracerebellion.com

http://www.wahm.com

http://www.virtualvocations.com

http://www.tjobs.com/

http://www.thewahmconnection.com/

http://www.internetbasedmoms.com/

http://www.freelancemom.com/

http://www.worldwideworkathome.com/

http://cwahm.com/wordpress/

http://www.workathomespace.com/

http://www.wahmzone.com/

Guest mom2fourkiddos

If anyone is interested, I started buying Melaleuca, which is an all natural company. Now, I am selling it, trying to get people to buy under me to help us all out. If anyone wants to know more about it, I am more than willing to talk to you. In the meantime, visit http://www.melaleuca.com to see if it's anything that interests you. It has the potential to make you a steady income if you are willing to put a few hours in a week making calls, signing up your friends.

I did medical transcription for a psych hospital for 5 years. Loved it (for a job at home). It was good pay. If you have time in your day where it is quiet and you don't mind typing. I took courses through MTEC.

This sounds interesting, but it looks like it would cost about $4,000 to take the courses. Did you get any help to pay for this? I'd be interested, but we are soooo broke I'd have to somehow get pretty much the entire thing paid for somehow.....and I can't imagine that that's gonna happen.

There's 2 other medical transcription schools that are respected and cheaper. (I remember Career Step is one, forget the other). I looked into doing all of this a while ago and decided not to because I read that new laws allowed transcription work to be outsourced to other countries and the demand went down. Maybe it's changed since then, I don't know.

General transcription doesn't require schooling. There's a few places that hire newbies. Tigerfish is one I remember off the top of my head. Google search about transcription and you'll find more. You can download Express Scribe for free. Transcription forums have overflow work opportunities for newbies, too.

Good luck!