Menu

Reception invitation wording

Designing our own invitations.....please proof this for me...

We Request the Honour of Your Presence

At a Reception to Celebrate Our Marriage

Saturday the Twenty-Seventh of November

Two Thousand and Ten

Three O’clock in the Afternoon

Atlanta GA

Tara on the Green

Mr. and Mrs. Rhett Butler

(I can't get it to center right in this post, but tell me if the wording is ok---and the grammar. And all that. Oh and FTR, we will be married for 3 weeks before this reception takes place).

Thanks all. :D

You can google "formal invitation format" and get lots of examples. But, here are my suggestions:

There's no need to capitalize everything. It's actually one long sentence, so only proper nouns need to be capitalized.

The name of the location should be above the city and state.

You definitely need a comma between Atlanta and GA.

I would include your name (Scarlett) somewhere, for people who may not know Rhett.

So, mine would look like this (centered, of course):

Rhett Butler and Scarlet (O'Hara) Butler

request the honour of your presence

at a reception to celebrate our marriage

on Saturday the twenty-seventh of November

two thousand and ten

at three o’clock in the afternoon

Tara on the Green

Atlanta, GA

Well, according to Miss Manners, it should be more like this:

The pleasure of your company

is requested at the wedding reception of

Daisy and Rhett Butler

on Saturday the Twenty-Seventh of November

at three o'clock

Tara on the Green

R.s.v.p.

[the name of whoever the rsvp goes to]

She says "the honour of your presence" is used for wedding invitations.

Daisy and Rhett Butler

at three o'clock

Tara on the Green

R.s.v.p.

:iagree:The "pleasure of your company" should be used. Save "The honour of your presence" for the wedding invitation.

And you don't have to spell out the year if you are going to use it. Using the numbers "2010" is fine. But if you really want to spell it out, drop the "and." It should read "Two thousand ten."

:iagree:The "pleasure of your company" should be used. Save "The honour of your presence" for the wedding invitation.

And you don't have to spell out the year if you are going to use it. Using the numbers "2010" is fine. But if you really want to spell it out, drop the "and." It should read "Two thousand ten."

I like "the pleasure of your company" better, too.

I was going to suggest dropping the "and" also, but when I looked up formal invitation samples, they ALL included the "and". It drives me nuts because it's not conventional in American grammar to include the "and" in numbers. But, apparently, it is conventional on formal invitations.

Daisy and Rhett Butler

at three o'clock

Tara on the Green

R.s.v.p.

Does she say to capitalize "twenty-seventh"? It was lower case on all the examples shown on the websites I googled.

It drives me nuts because it's not conventional in American grammar to include the "and" in numbers. But, apparently, it is conventional on formal invitations.

Me, too. I wasn't born in nineteen and seventy two. Seriously, I wasn't. ;)

I think the world will have to put up with it though until two thousand one hundred one. That mouthful will be shortened to 2101 (or possibly 21 ought 1) pretty quick.

Daisy and Rhett Butler

at three o'clock

Tara on the Green

R.s.v.p.

Is the r.sv.p. centered below Tara on the Green or off to the left like you have it?

Can we add the year?

Scarlett and Rhett Butler

two thousand and ten

at three o'clock

Tara on the Green

R.s.v.p.

ok, another edit.....two should not be capitalized either right? And whose name comes first Scarlett or Rhett?

Edited by Scarlett

two thousand and ten

at three o'clock

Tara on the Green

Atlanta, GA

Ok, the above is what I think we will go with. Still confused about the r.s.v.p...We include a card to for responses, so is there any need to put anything about the r.s.v.p on the actual invitation?

Also, can I drop the 'at' before three o'clock?

See I thought you always had to put who was doing the inviting as the first line, so my invite would read:

Rhett and Scarlett (O'Hara) Butler

Request the pleasure of your company

at a reception honouring their recent nuptials(or marriage or wedding)

two thousand ten

at three o'clock

Tara on the Green

R.S.V.P

If there is a response card in the invitation there is no need to put who to send this too as the envelope should already be stamped and addressed.

See I thought you always had to put who was doing the inviting as the first line, so my invite would read:

two thousand ten

at three o'clock

Tara on the Green

R.S.V.P

If there is a response card in the invitation there is no need to put who to send this too as the envelope should already be stamped and addressed.

See I like this too....We had wanted our names to lead the wording....and also, you just put his name first...other times I see the bride's name first. I can't find a definitive rule on which comes first!

two thousand ten

at three o'clock

Tara on the Green

R.S.V.P

Also, does this make it sound like our marriage took place on November 27th? :confused:

two thousand ten

at three o'clock

Tara on the Green

R.S.V.P

But the other wording is really more formal. That's why Miss Manners wrote it that way. :-)

No. It's the date of the reception.

People who are close to you already know the wedding date. People who aren't will ask. :-)

Ok, thank you Ellie....I see what you mean by the one you suggested being more formal...but I think this one is more 'us'....just want to make sure it is not a huge blunder of some sort....but honestly with some of the junk out there on the net as suggestions...shudder....I think we are doing ok.

So this is what I'm leaning toward...I prefer leaving the year...

Rhett and Scarlett Butler

request the pleasure of your company

at a reception honouring their recent marriage

two thousand ten

at three o'clock

Tara on the Green

Atlanta, GA

r.s.v.p.

Wow. So much to think about!

Scarlett! On this subject, ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!

So, cough it up....what's the dress like, what kind of flowers are you carrying, what kind of music are you having??????? The suspense might just kill us.

Apologies to the hive if Scarlett has already posted these details. I haven't been around much for a couple of days. Point me to the correct thread if need-be.

Faith

Scarlett! On this subject, ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!

So, cough it up....what's the dress like, what kind of flowers are you carrying, what kind of music are you having??????? The suspense might just kill us.

Apologies to the hive if Scarlett has already posted these details. I haven't been around much for a couple of days. Point me to the correct thread if need-be.

Faith

Here is my dress....my flowers are going to be dark pink roses....J's tux black with chocolate vest and tie....our 3 boys wearing black suits with chocolate ties.

Just my .02 - shouldn't you spell out the state (Georgia) on the invitation and leave the abbreviation for the envelope?

By the way, Congratulations and Best wishes.

Oh, good point....spelled out is the rule for the rest of the wording so would apply to the state...

And thank you!

Having recently been the parent of two sons getting married, I have done considerable research on wedding invitation ettiquette. ( We were the host for our son's wedding and her parents are separated..wow, that made for a very interesting invitation)

I think since you are including an RSVP card, there is no need to put that line on the invite itself. My opinion, not based on anything I have read.

Many invites did not include the year, others did, but since I scrapbook, we were thinking memorbilia and I wanted the year to be included.

I would capitalize the T in Two on your year line .. it is capitalized every where I looked.

Here is a link with some very cute ways to say we are already married..please join us for the reception.

http://www.invitationconsultants.com/samplewording.aspx?p_subcategory=206

Ok, thank you Ellie....I see what you mean by the one you suggested being more formal...but I think this one is more 'us'....just want to make sure it is not a huge blunder of some sort....but honestly with some of the junk out there on the net as suggestions...shudder....I think we are doing ok.

So this is what I'm leaning toward...I prefer leaving the year...

Rhett and Scarlett Butler

two thousand ten

at three o'clock

Tara on the Green

Atlanta, GA

r.s.v.p.

Wow. So much to think about!

Lovely. I would spell out "Georgia" instead of using the postal abbreviation. Also, there should be a comma after "Saturday." :-)

It should read "Scarlett and Rhett Butler" or "Mr. and Mrs. Rhett Butler."

on Saturday, the twenty-seventh of November

Two thousand and ten

at three o'clock

Tara on the Green

Atlanta, Georgia

Better?

Having recently been the parent of two sons getting married, I have done considerable research on wedding invitation ettiquette. ( We were the host for our son's wedding and her parents are separated..wow, that made for a very interesting invitation)

I think since you are including an RSVP card, there is no need to put that line on the invite itself. My opinion, not based on anything I have read.

Many invites did not include the year, others did, but since I scrapbook, we were thinking memorbilia and I wanted the year to be included.

I would capitalize the T in Two on your year line .. it is capitalized every where I looked.

Here is a link with some very cute ways to say we are already married..please join us for the reception.

http://www.invitationconsultants.com/samplewording.aspx?p_subcategory=206

Thank you. I am including the year...and thanks for the idea to capitalize the T.

The reasoning behind putting the bride's name first on a traditional wedding invitation is that whoever is paying gets top billing. So, usually it reads, Mr. and Mrs. Bob Stevens request the pleasure of your company at the wedding of their daughter.......

But, Scarlett will already have been Mrs. Butler for three weeks, so the more usual form of address, with the husband's name first seems more appropriate in this instance.

The one time I have been to a reception like this (they were married in Jamaica a month before the reception) that is how they worded it.

two thousand and ten

at three o'clock

Tara on the Green

Atlanta, GA

Ok, the above is what I think we will go with. Still confused about the r.s.v.p...We include a card to for responses, so is there any need to put anything about the r.s.v.p on the actual invitation?

Also, can I drop the 'at' before three o'clock?

I used to sell invitations, and I'd do it like this:

Two thousand and ten

at three o'clock

Tara on the Green

Atlanta, Georgia

I added a comma after "Saturday," capitalized the T in Two and spelled out "Georgia." Leave "at" in the time line. It's a bit awkward, but it's the common way to do it.

Although the year is implied, in ten or twenty or fifty years, you or your grandkids will be glad the year was noted when they frame it. :)

If you're printing a separate RSVP card, don't include an RSVP on the invitation. Wherever you include it, be sure to put "RSVP" or "Please reply" and a date to reply by, so that people don't think they can rsvp the night before. It happens! ;-)

One thing about your wording. Are you doing the invitation to your reception? In the case above, no one is "inviting." Was that your intent? If "Scarlett and Rhett" are inviting, it should read like this:

at their wedding reception

Two thousand and ten

at three o'clock

Tara on the Green

Atlanta, Georgia

One final thing: if the address isn't well-known to all those invited, add the street address between "Tara on the Green" and "Atlanta, Georgia." :)

HIH,

Lisa

See I like this too....We had wanted our names to lead the wording....and also, you just put his name first...other times I see the bride's name first. I can't find a definitive rule on which comes first!

YOUR name comes first, it doesn't go "between" his names. So, it's "Scarlett and Rhett Butler," not "Rhett and Scarlett Butler." He was born with his name -- you're changing yours. So, you're "Scarlett and," and he's "Rhett Butler." ;-)

Lisa