Menu

Flavored water?

My younger dd hates drinking plain water and she has always been this way. She's the only one in the house that hates it. It's becoming more of a problem with fighting/complaining as she gets older. I've tried just adding lemon but then she wants sugar to make it taste like lemonade. :glare: I, of course, just say no and make her drink it but I'm tired of being the bad guy when it comes to water. When she doesn't drink water she drinks milk or oj and the occasional apple juice. She's super skinny so there are no weight problems. Are there healthy alternatives out there?

Keep in mind that flavored water often has artificial sweetener in it. For my family since we have several that react badly to artificial sweeteners most flavored waters are nixed.

Would you consider tea mad with stevia or maybe just kool-aid made with organic sugar?

DD3 loves it when I add a few crushed raspberries to her juice (no sugar, just the berries and water). I just crush a few through a wire sieve with a spoon (to remove the seeds/pulp) into a cup and add it to her water when she wants it. I usually do a handful at a time, keeping just the berry juice in a cup in the fridge and it lasts a few days. She is happy to drink regular water, but this makes a special treat for her that isn't too sweet.

Thanks for the advice!! I put a little cranberry juice in her water tonight and she asked for more!:thumbup: I can't believe I didn't think of it but I'm glad it won't be something that causes problems anymore.

Cranberry is a great choice b/c if she's prone to UTIs, she'll get two benefits: 1. She'll drink more so she's less likely to get a UTI and 2: Cranberry is great for keeping UTI bacteria from thriving. :)

I really don't like our tap water, so I rarely drink it plain. When I decided to cut waaay back on sodas this summer, I started drinking a big glass of water with a couple of ounces of green tea added to it. I sweeten it with a few drops of agave -- very little -- just enough to get rid of the bitterness of the tea. it makes all the difference to me; I'm finally happy to drink (mostly) water! :)

Lisa

Like the pp, I don't care for our tap water. We put a filter on our tap. I'm much more likely to drink the water now. I've never done this, but how about fun shaped/colored ice cubes? You could even make them with juice. Or maybe freezing raspberries or something in the ice cubes (although that could end up being a choking hazard).

Ds prefers his water very cold. Perhaps your dd has a similar preference?