Menu

How-to bread baking books?

Anyone have the name of a great bread baking book? One with simple, tried and reliable recipes? I'd love to learn how to bake bread but so far I've really only tried quick breads and pizza dough. I have a Kitchen Aide and would love a book that would have recipes that can be fixed in there. Nothing with fancy tools or pans and I don't want to grind my own grain. Oh yeah, and I'd like them to be whole wheat, but lacking any ingredients not found in a regular grocery store.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gwen

"Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day" is a good one. If you'd rather use a bread machine, I like "The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook".

Also, checkout the website http://www.thefreshloaf.com. They have tutorials and LOTS of info. And http://www.erikthered.com/breads.html for a long list of tried-&-true bread machine breads. You can adapt these to the oven too.

I love this book. He has everything from simple things to complicated things and he has recipe adjustments for the KA.

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Jewish-Baker-Authentic-Breads/dp/089594605X

There is a newer, more pricey addition, but I can't promise it has the KA adjustments.

For another potpourri of really good recipes, from whole grain to quick is Beard on Bread. He has such good taste, and the recipes are no-fail.

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Bernard-Claytons-Complete-Book-Breads/dp/068481174X

has extensive recipes. His Breads of France, which may be OOP is also fabulous. Clayton obviously lived and breathed bread.

For whole grain bread that is really good, try the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book. It's oldish so you'll probably be able to find it in the library. The 'loaf for learning' is an excellent place to start, as the descriptions of what things should look like are very thorough. That recipe is more like an apprenticeship than a set of directions.

Getting a good book is fine, but honestly,the key to making good bread is just practice, practice, practice. The ingredients are relatively simple, but it's an art and a technique that you just need to work out. I have one bread dough recipe and I just tweak it for whatever I want to make - cinnamon rolls, beerocks, hot-cross buns, whatever. Same dough. But, good luck and keep at it. Baking good bread is very satisfying.

I you are a bit adventurous, and want to understand more about the science of bread baking, but not in an intimidating way, I'd pick up any of these books by Peter Reinhart. I'd start with The Bread Baker's Apprentice. Simple? No. Easy? Yes. They aren't simple because most require a 2 day process, but the results equal or exceed any $8 loaf from the local artisan bakery with a brick oven. I'm not kidding.

For simple and reliable recipes, check out the King Arthur Flour website. Any of their "KAF guaranteed" recipes will give you a great loaf with little effort. And it's free!

I you are a bit adventurous, and want to understand more about the science of bread baking, but not in an intimidating way, I'd pick up any of these books by Peter Reinhart. I'd start with The Bread Baker's Apprentice. Simple? No. Easy? Yes. They aren't simple because most require a 2 day process, but the results equal or exceed any $8 loaf from the local artisan bakery with a brick oven. I'm not kidding.

For simple and reliable recipes, check out the King Arthur Flour website. Any of their "KAF guaranteed" recipes will give you a great loaf with little effort. And it's free!

Agreeing with The Bread Baker's Apprentice recommendation! And if you're looking for an easy peasy no fail great beginner book, try My Bread by Jim Lahey.

Healthy Bread in 5 min a day is a great take on the Artisan bread book (same authors) and gives you a ton of different grain/non-grain ideas for whole grain breads.

I'm learning how to bake bread, but still keep a container full of this to pop in the oven if I've not gotten to a loaf that day or worked on something else. And because, as time goes by, it's had time to soak, the grains are more digestible and even better for you than a straight recipe to oven bread.

Can I start you out with an easy-peasy recipe? It's not whole grain, but it has 1 cup of squash in it, so there is some value. I just made it this afternoon. It's a gorgeous loaf, an orangish for fall, and braided, so looks very sophisticated. But it is EASY, and very forgiving. I also used my kitchenaid. :)

Squash Braid Bread

(I believe this recipe came from Taste of Home)

2 TBSP Warm water

1 pkg (1 TBSP) active dry yeast.

1 cup mashed, cooked butternut squash (or other similar)

1/3 cup warm milk ( 110-115 degrees, I just heat until room temp)

1/4 cup butter or margarine-softenend

1 egg

3 TBSP brown sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

3 to 3.5 cups flour

Glaze:

1 beaten egg w/ 1 TBSP water mixed

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a mixing bowl, combine squash, milk, butter, egg, brown sugar and salt. Mix well.

Add yeast mixture and 1.5 cups flour, mix well.

Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough, turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. (I just do this in my kitchenaid with the hook, until it doesn't stick anymore)

Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled-about 1 hour.

Punch down, divide into thirds, roll each third into an 18 inch rope. Place on a greased baking sheet, pinching ends together, braid ropes. Cover and let rise until doubled again, about 30 minutes.

Combine glaze and brush braid with glaze (I don't use all of it, by any means)

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.

Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.

Seriously, this is an EASY recipe, it's good, and it gets squash into my kids. It's not a sandwich loaf, but you could make a sandwich with it anyway. :)

My 2nd favorite recipe:

Oatmeal Bread

*Credit goes to the "More with Less" cookbook.

Combine in large bowl:

1 C quick oats

1/2 C. whole wheat flour

1/2 C. Brown sugar

1 TBSP salt

2 TBSP butter/margarine

Pour 2 C. Boiling water over mixture; stir to combine

Dissolve:

1 pkg (1 TBSP) yeast

1/2 C warm water

When batter has cooled to lukewarm, add the yeast mixture to it.

Then add:

5 C. white flour

When dough is stiff enough to handle, turn onto floured surface and knead 5-10 minutes (again, I let my kitchenaid do the work). Place in greased bowl, flipping once to grease top. Let rise until doubled. Punch down and let rise again. Shape into 2 loaves and place in greased 9x5x3 pans. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. Cool on rack, brushing loaves with margarine or butter for a soft crust.

* I let rise once, then shape and put into pans and let rise the 2nd time. These rise well in a humid warm oven (but not hot)

** This is THE best soup bread EVER. You cannot tell that it has oatmeal in it, it completely dissoves into the bread. People are surprised when I tell them there is 1 cup in there. :)

ETA: I've had friends modify using EVOO instead of the butter, and it's been fine.