Menu

Strategies for helping my dd NOT lose her glasses

DD9 is a very creative carefree girl who loses stuff EVERY day. Even her shoes she had on earlier. We've all learned to just cope and help her find stuff but she will be getting glasses Saturday. She is supposed to wear them full time for 2 weeks to see if her headaches will go away. After that, she supposed to wear them for reading if nothing else. She is very excited about her glasses and can't wait to get them.

BUT....

I know she will lose them the first time she sets them down. She doesn't lose stuff on purpose, she just doesn't take the time pay attention to where she's putting things so she forgets. If we are at church or co-op, heaven knows where she will put them down!

Does anyone have strategies for helping a busy child remember their glasses? I'm not really sure what to do but I'd love for her to keep them for awhile at least!

:bigear:

If she has to wear them constantly for the first 2 weeks, she probably shouldn't be taking them off for anything other than bed. For bedtime, I'd recommend helping her designate a *special* place to put htem every night.

I don't remember ever losing my glasses, even though I lost plenty of other things - I NEEDED them if I was going to see well.

a chain to go around her neck might help.

Good luck!

I think we'll be fine for the first two weeks with "always on". (Funny I hadn't thought of that simple solution!) Once she reaches the stage where it's just for reading or movie watching, I think that's when we'll have a problem.

I might see about a cute little chain around the neck. Good idea!

Thank you both. :)

We've all learned to just cope and help her find stuff

haha ~ that's my family with me. :laugh:

definitely try the cord thing...you can get some cute ribbon type cords with designs...and glasses with BRIGHT coloured frames would help.. i can generally find dd13s shades before mine because hers are hot pink and mine are black.

can she have a spare pair that YOU keep somewhere for those times that hers have gotten away?

my actual glasses stay in the truck - i only need them for driving, so if they get into the house and i don't drive anywhere for a day or two...POOF, they vanish.

We have similar issues with my ds' mouth guards. In his case, we bought mouth guard cases that have a clip. When the guard is not in his mouth, it's in the case hanging on his belt loop.

I would say to invest in a strap to keep them on her head, and also somehow rig up a case that can be clipped to her belt. Make it a hard case that will last a while and protect the glasses from bumps.

haha ~ that's my family with me. :laugh:

definitely try the cord thing...you can get some cute ribbon type cords with designs...and glasses with BRIGHT coloured frames would help.. i can generally find dd13s shades before mine because hers are hot pink and mine are black.

can she have a spare pair that YOU keep somewhere for those times that hers have gotten away?

my actual glasses stay in the truck - i only need them for driving, so if they get into the house and i don't drive anywhere for a day or two...POOF, they vanish.

We are hopeful that the glasses will be a temporary thing. When my son needed glasses, it was temporary...mainly to help the eyestrain he was experiencing while building up his marathon reading skills. We think dd is doing the same thing in which case, she will not need the glasses for long.

However I will keep a spare in mind if it turns out to be less than temporary. Definitely a great idea! :)

We have similar issues with my ds' mouth guards. In his case, we bought mouth guard cases that have a clip. When the guard is not in his mouth, it's in the case hanging on his belt loop.

I would say to invest in a strap to keep them on her head, and also somehow rig up a case that can be clipped to her belt. Make it a hard case that will last a while and protect the glasses from bumps.

She doesn't wear belts often so I'm not sure if that will work. She actually prefers dresses many times although she wears a fair share of pants... just not belts. They tend to end up as toys. ;) Definitely going to be getting a neck chain.

That's a great idea for your son's mouth guard. Ingenious even. :)

My 3 year old DD has never lost her glasses. She knows that she is not allowed to take them off.

Aside from that, I do have an extra pair that's exactly like the ones she wears all the time.

If I were you, I'd designate a specific place for her glasses when she's finished using them for reading. Sit a small basket on the counter, or the bookshelf and tell her that when she's finished, the glasses go in there. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

I've been wearing glasses for 35 years, and I still lose them.

I just cannot keep them on my nose inside, where I don't really need them. In the house, or when eating, I can't keep them. I have to put them somewhere.

And just as I can't go outside without my glasses, I can't keep them inside a house.

If you find a trick that works for not losing them, I'd like to know (and no, the cute cord around the neck didn't work for me. I can't stand having my glasses hanging like that, I bang them everywhere)

Just to encourage you. . . . .

Sounds like my 10yo dd is your daughter's lost twin! She got glasses about 7 weeks ago, and MUCH to our surprise, she hasn't lost them yet. She's very good about putting them on her nightstand when she doesn't need them. She likes them, feels proud about them, and I think feels a little more "grown up" when she wears them. Her responsibility level went up at the same time she got her glasses. . . .

You never can tell! ;)

My 3 year old DD has never lost her glasses. She knows that she is not allowed to take them off.

Aside from that, I do have an extra pair that's exactly like the ones she wears all the time.

If I were you, I'd designate a specific place for her glasses when she's finished using them for reading. Sit a small basket on the counter, or the bookshelf and tell her that when she's finished, the glasses go in there. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

This is what I would *like* to do, but see myself being a constant nag instead. I have designated places for multiple things in the house and she manages to forget about all of them.

Maybe if I make something extremely cute and fairy-like it will help her remember... :confused:

It took years for us to make it stick with my younger son, but we set a standard that he was NOT to take his glasses off and put them anywhere except his bathroom counter or his bedside table. We reminded *constantly* at times, it seemed.....

This is what I see me doing. And I really don't want to. LOL I would so much rather just find a way to duct tape them to her or something but that doesn't really seem practical.

Just to encourage you. . . . .

Sounds like my 10yo dd is your daughter's lost twin! She got glasses about 7 weeks ago, and MUCH to our surprise, she hasn't lost them yet. She's very good about putting them on her nightstand when she doesn't need them. She likes them, feels proud about them, and I think feels a little more "grown up" when she wears them. Her responsibility level went up at the same time she got her glasses. . . .

You never can tell! ;)

Oooo OOOooo OOO I pick this answer!!!! :lol:

*crossing fingers*

I would have a designated area in any place she may be tempted to put them down (because sooner or later, she'll decide not to traipse to her room to set them on her dresser). Stress how important it is never to put them on a chair or anywhere people sit down.

I worry more about glasses getting sat on than losing them. (Mine are all nearsighted and wear theirs full time.) They're kind of hard to see--especially if you're not wearing them. :tongue_smilie:

I would have a designated area in any place she may be tempted to put them down (because sooner or later, she'll decide not to traipse to her room to set them on her dresser). Stress how important it is never to put them on a chair or anywhere people sit down.

I worry more about glasses getting sat on than losing them. (Mine are all nearsighted and wear theirs full time.) They're kind of hard to see--especially if you're not wearing them. :tongue_smilie:

Oooo so maybe if I have a little fairy basket in each room in combination with a neck chain, we'll at least narrow down the places we need to look for them! I like that idea. I agree, there is no way she will walk upstairs every time she takes her glasses off. Matching baskets would work I think... maybe. :D

Don't forget companies like www.zennioptical.com that offer basic prescription glasses for around $15 per pair. Then you can buy a back up pair to keep stashed and bring out while you search for her original pair fi they become misplaced. Life is too short to have major stress over children losing glasses.

We did this with dd. She eventually broke her main frames, but it wasn't a big loss, since I had a back up pair with exactly the same frame, so we were able to get the lenses transferred to the new frame and she was able to keep the photosensitive lenses.

With the prices at Zenni, I even bought her a really cute candy-striped pair as a stocking stuffer last Christmas ($12, as I recall).

Don't forget companies like www.zennioptical.com that offer basic prescription glasses for around $15 per pair. Then you can buy a back up pair to keep stashed and bring out while you search for her original pair fi they become misplaced. Life is too short to have major stress over children losing glasses.

We did this with dd. She eventually broke her main frames, but it wasn't a big loss, since I had a back up pair with exactly the same frame, so we were able to get the lenses transferred to the new frame and she was able to keep the photosensitive lenses.

With the prices at Zenni, I even bought her a really cute candy-striped pair as a stocking stuffer last Christmas ($12, as I recall).

Wow! Those are some great prices! Thank you for the link. :)

I need to get a back-up pair for my 6 yo. he has only lost his glasses once briefly, but they do seem a little bent.

Of course one of his ears is about 1/4" lower than the other (which may be why his glasses seem bent....).

The stocking stuffer idea is a great one!

If her prescription for reading glasses are close to what you can buy over the counter I'd buy some cheap spares, especially if it's short term. My husband kept losing or breaking his expensive prescription reading glasses and that's what he did.

My 3 year old DD has never lost her glasses. She knows that she is not allowed to take them off..

When my kiddo was three I had the same rule but he was an independent, adventuresome sort and the result was I found those glasses whereever he shed them...the garden, the carpet, the lawn, the sofa and once even in the microwave:blink: (I didn't find that last pair until lunch). We're talking the poster child for the glasses replacement plan here.

His vision is so bad that I still always buy an identical back-up pair.

The policy may vary from store to store, but the Walmart vision centers in our area will adjust eyeglasses for free, regardless of where they were purchased. The only thing they tell you is that they are not responsible if something breaks during the adjustment.

We get dd's glasses from Zenni but take them immediately to Walmart to get them tweaked to fit her better. And then we return to Walmart about every two weeks to get them bent back into shape--dd is a very....active child. I have appologised to the technician profusely, but he always brushes it off with a smile and says, "See you next week!" as we leave. I think my overflowing shopping cart reassures them that a 30 second eyeglasses adjustment is very effective advertising to get me into their store.:tongue_smilie:

The policy may vary from store to store, but the Walmart vision centers in our area will adjust eyeglasses for free, regardless of where they were purchased. The only thing they tell you is that they are not responsible if something breaks during the adjustment.

We get dd's glasses from Zenni but take them immediately to Walmart to get them tweaked to fit her better. And then we return to Walmart about every two weeks to get them bent back into shape--dd is a very....active child. I have appologised to the technician profusely, but he always brushes it off with a smile and says, "See you next week!" as we leave. I think my overflowing shopping cart reassures them that a 30 second eyeglasses adjustment is very effective advertising to get me into their store.:tongue_smilie:

That's good to know. If I bought any glasses from Zenni, my 6 yo with the asymmetrical ears would certainly need them adjusted! :lol: Seriously, one ear looks like mine, and one looks like dh's and they are placed differently on his head. In spite of that, he looks totally normal unless you're looking closely at his ears. (Does this pic show up?)

25411_114915945197212_100000364207096_169270_1073092_n.jpg