Menu

This might be potty-mind on my part, but the first thing I thought of when I read Fallon was a not-so-nice nickname she could be called when she's older - get rid of the "on" and put an "us" sound at the end. The taunts that could go along with that would not be pleasant.

I'll admit that popped into my head right away too. :leaving:

But I've read Mists of Avalon twice in the last few weeks where that word makes an occasional appearance. Mostly, it's fallen (:D) out of use.

ETA: I can't get "Faline" from Bambi out of my head either. I think the OP should just make up her mind to call the baby "Sweetheart". Problem solved.

This might be potty-mind on my part, but the first thing I thought of when I read Fallon was a not-so-nice nickname she could be called when she's older - get rid of the "on" and put an "us" sound at the end. The taunts that could go along with that would not be pleasant.

That's true, but kids will find a nickname to taunt other kids with regardless of the name. My name is Sara which is a very basic name. When I was is school I had a full range of nicknames (all made with bad intentions) and they ranged from simple rhymes to things that had not to do with my name focusing on my appearance.

We found out yesterday that our ds (well my step son), and his wife are going to be having a girl.

The name they have chosen is:

Fallan Cynthia

I like the middle name, but the first name, not so much.

I can not even come up with a nickname or shortening of it.

So, what do you think of the name?

I used to want to name a baby girl Fallon. I still think it is very pretty. I like it.:)

We have not made any comment on the name except to say that it is a nice name.

I guess I am not one for all these new names that are out there.

And you never know, by March dil might have changed her mind.

The other name they were thinking of was Phoenix.

If it was a boy the choices were Kayden or Slade.

Well, thanks the gods it's not going to be a boy then! :lol: Considering the other choices, I think Fallan is by far the best of the bunch. I didn't think it was bad when I read your OP, and compared to the others, it's downright peachy. I think it will grow on you, or you'll get to a point where you just can't imagine her having any other name.

I can sympathize though, I dislike the trendy names. Everyone thinks they're being unique, but they aren't. I like a name that is a real name, KWIM? But, I don't get to name every baby until I become Queen of the World, and that plan has been delayed slightly. ;)

Grin and bear it (from one grandmother to another). My dd and her dh have selected names for Grandchild #3 who will arrive in March - I do not care for either name -- really.do.not.like.either.name.or.the.nicknames.they.have.selected. KWIM?:glare:

It doesn't matter - it is their baby and I really don't have (nor do I expect to have) any input. That being said, I am certain that whenever little #3 arrives, the name they have selected will fit perfectly. My advice - let it go.

We found out yesterday that our ds (well my step son), and his wife are going to be having a girl.

The name they have chosen is:

Fallan Cynthia

I like the middle name, but the first name, not so much.

I can not even come up with a nickname or shortening of it.

So, what do you think of the name?

This may seem harsh but it really doesn't matter if you like it our not unless they have asked your opinion. Their baby, their privilege to name her.

I know that many will not agree but I really do believe that many problems with couples and their in laws are cause by the in laws having an unasked for opinion. Trust me, been there done that and try very hard to not repeat the same mistake.

But, I don't get to name every baby until I become Queen of the World, and that plan has been delayed slightly. ;)

:lol::lol:

This may seem harsh but it really doesn't matter if you like it our not unless they have asked your opinion. Their baby, their privilege to name her.

I know that many will not agree but I really do believe that many problems with couples and their in laws are cause by the in laws having an unasked for opinion. Trust me, been there done that and try very hard to not repeat the same mistake.

:iagree: I've stated basically that in my post which is a few posts up.;)

I went to school with a Fallen (hers was pronounced Fal rhyming with pal). It was no biggie. It was unique.

My neice's name is Wenston. So, you can't shock me; it COULD be MUCH worse. I liked to have died when my sis told me the name ---- and she was wise enough to not "announce" it until after her birth or I may have picketed outside her home naked in the name of child advocacy. No doubt she'll be picked on for it. I mean who wants to one day say, "This is my wife, Wenston." So....Fallon is totally FINE relatively speaking.

I went to school with a Fallen (hers was pronounced Fal rhyming with pal). It was no biggie. It was unique.

My neice's name is Wenston. So, you can't shock me; it COULD be MUCH worse. I liked to have died when my sis told me the name ---- and she was wise enough to not "announce" it until after her birth or I may have picketed outside her home naked in the name of child advocacy. No doubt she'll be picked on for it. I mean who wants to one day say, "This is my wife, Wenston." So....Fallon is totally FINE relatively speaking.

hmmm, yes, Wenston - unusual. I taught with another young woman whose name is 'Wesley.' I asked her if it was her mom's maiden name, and it wasn't. It was just a name her mom loved. I like the name, it fits the young woman -- but until I met her, I had incorrectly assumed that 'Last name, Wesley' who taught 3rd grade, was a male.;)

As everyone said, smile and call her Punkin'. My girls have what I considered lovely, older names. My dad hates them and continues to hate them, and the oldest is 18! It's not like we're going to change it now. My SIL tried to shorten Amelia's name to Amy once. I said no. And of course this child now insists on being called Mel. Fallan may fool you all and request Phyllis or some such.

...But,....this name sounds like I have fallen.....Fallen Cynthia, like she's a fallen angel or something...

I would definitely point this out to the parents, just in case they haven't noticed it. If they have noticed (and still like it), then let it go.

My mother didn't like the name I chose for my daughter at all. Not only did she not like the full name, but she didn't like the shortened name that she feared we would adopt for her (and we never did).

I thought it was petty and small of her to tell me that and I have never forgotten it. This is my child. She got to name her children; I get to name mine.

So my vote is to enjoy this new little person until you can no longer even imagine her with any other name (which will happen), and then forget about it.

By the way, my daughter's name is Adrienne. And no, we don't call her Addy.

hmmm, yes, Wenston - unusual. I taught with another young woman whose name is 'Wesley.' I asked her if it was her mom's maiden name, and it wasn't. It was just a name her mom loved. I like the name, it fits the young woman -- but until I met her, I had incorrectly assumed that 'Last name, Wesley' who taught 3rd grade, was a male.;)

:lol:My neice Wenston's older sister's name is Wesley!:lol: