Menu

Ok, people, I have googled. Origin of the phrase: Blood and gore

From the same place that "Boys are made of greasy, grimy gopher guts; chopped up monkey meat; percolated birdies' feet; French-fried eyeballs swimming in a pool of blood... oops, I forgot my straw!" came from?

Just a guess!

ha! :laugh: we sang it:

great green globs of greasy grimy gopher guts, mutilated monkey's meat, little birdies dirty feet..great green globs of greasy grimy gopher guts and i forgot my spooooooon!"

i like your french fried eyeballs though!

Is it the same place that "Blood blood everywhere and not a drop to drink" comes from?

I think that's actually, "Water, water, everywhere and not a drop to drink" from Coleridge's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner." Our bio teacher used to quote this at us all the time in 9th grade. :confused: She was odd, to say the least!

I think the other is a parody of "water water everywhere...." like a vampire version. Now I'll have to look up where 'water water everywhere comes from. I seem to think it is a poem or novel, just hope it is not Melville. Whew. Great Coleridge.

Not alcohol. Sea water - undrinkable.

Edited by OrganicAnn
  • Like 2

Not alcohol. Sea water - undrinkable.

Ah, it was my father who used it, and thinking on it, I think he would say it if a character in a movie or book was an tippler deprived of booze. I recall him saying it during The African Queen.

Papa was big on such euphemisms, for instance, in 1929, he boarded a freighter in Seattle as a cooks assistant. He got off in San Deigo "because the cook was Greek". Well, I knew that many sailors and restaurant owners were Greek, but his answer perplexed me. I was full grown before I knew he mean ANcient Greek, and was expecting company at night!

"Blood and gore all over the floor, and me without a spoon"

Where did this come from?

Well, "blood and gore" is old... Google Books has it in a poem contained in a book published in 1633... and I'm sure the phrase predates that.

As to variations of "Blood and gore all over the floor, and me without a spoon" -- the earliest Google Books references are 1956 in Harper's Magazine, and another in a 1951 book called Fathers are Parents Too.

It is referred to as a children's tune, a chant, and a rhyme.

• 10 years later...