Menu

Anyone here use textbooks for History?

wanderer109

I'm not a big fan of the literature approach, or multi-level teaching (like MFW). I have found what I like for every subject except History. I am drawn to something simple like textbooks for this subject, but I feel like I'm letting my kids down by doing this.

Does anyone here use textbooks for History? If so, which ones do you prefer? (My dd's are 9 - twins/ third grade). I'd love a text that suggests living books to go along with each chapter so I can throw some of those in. Also, some projects would be nice.

Thanks for your suggestions.

We are going on our third year with using textbooks. My children prefer a textbook over SL/MFW/WP. They appreciate the fact that they don't have to wait for me. We have lots of great literature around the house via all the cores and programs I've purchased from Sonlight and so forth.

I found out the my oldest son's brain just works better with textbooks. He likes things orderly and textbooks provides this for him.

Our first year we used Rod & Staff, 2nd year Christian Light and this year we are trying Bob Jones. All have been great but I like BJ the best:D. I like the layout and the student activity books. Sorry, can't go into much detail. I have six little ones talking to me. Got to go:001_smile:

Edited by Homeschooling6

we are using abeka history for 3rd grade. technically, it's a textbook....but it is just a book of short biographies. we are really enjoying it very much! it's very open & go ....but we do add brainpop, netflix, and other literature to our topics of interest. the comprehension questions are good, and the geography is perfect for what i wanted to cover this year. hth.

We are using BJU this year for 8th grade and I like it a lot.

That is good to know. DD is doing SL Core 100 this year. She is tolerating the Hakim series, but thinks the author drags stuff out too much. I have the 2nd edition of BJU's 8th grade (not the new one this year), so I've been thinking of having her switch to that for her spine, but keep doing the literature.

That is good to know. DD is doing SL Core 100 this year. She is tolerating the Hakim series, but thinks the author drags stuff out too much. I have the 2nd edition of BJU's 8th grade (not the new one this year), so I've been thinking of having her switch to that for her spine, but keep doing the literature.

If I could have gotten my kids to do SL I would have been a happy homeschool mom! They just could not do it - too much reading and stuff. But I really do wish we had a different style. And I was so busy most of the time that I had no time to implement it - but I think it is a great program.

I've used different BJU books over the years and I find them to be very complete. I was going to write a history curriculum for this year but I am really happy that I decided on the 8th grade books. He likes them and he even likes the student activities stuff.

We will definitely use the BJU 9th grade Geography next year too.

I'm not a big fan of the literature approach, or multi-level teaching (like MFW). I have found what I like for every subject except History. I am drawn to something simple like textbooks for this subject, but I feel like I'm letting my kids down by doing this.

Does anyone here use textbooks for History? If so, which ones do you prefer? (My dd's are 9 - twins/ third grade). I'd love a text that suggests living books to go along with each chapter so I can throw some of those in. Also, some projects would be nice.

Thanks for your suggestions.

SOTW does that. I have tried it several times but we just can't get into it.

My 12the grader is finishing Joy Hakim Story of Us, my 10th grader is doing World geography worksheets by Geomatters, and my 5th grader is using BJU Heritage Studies.

After using too many different currics (SL, TOG, SOTW, etc.) i have finally realized that using a textbook as a spine then assigning tons of real books works best.

I have all of SL 1,3,6,and 100, and most of 5 so they read those books themselves in addition to the above.

I have had them read them chronologically in the past, but this year I am just letting pick a book off of the shelf.

SOTW does that. I have tried it several times but we just can't get into it.

My 12the grader is finishing Joy Hakim Story of Us, my 10th grader is doing World geography worksheets by Geomatters, and my 5th grader is using BJU Heritage Studies.

After using too many different currics (SL, TOG, SOTW, etc.) i have finally realized that using a textbook as a spine then assigning tons of real books works best.

I have all of SL 1,3,6,and 100, and most of 5 so they read those books themselves in addition to the above.

I have had them read them chronologically in the past, but this year I am just letting pick a book off of the shelf.

This is what I am doing this year. We are finishing up reading SOTW with my younger 3 and then we are going to focus on a year of American Hx. My 2 younger guys will use A Beka 3 and my 7th grader is going to use Prentiss Hall American Nation. I plan on spreading it out over 3 semesters.

My 11th grader is using A Beka Geography and I am adding in all kinds of lit. This week and next he is studying Asia, so he is reading The Good Earth. I really like using a textbook as a spine. I like vocabulary words, maps, comprehension questions, primary sources, memory work etc. all in one place and orderly. I find it easy to use as a jumpoff point for other projects, lapbooks, movies, lit etc. It takes us longer to get through the text, but becomes a very rich study.

I think textbooks can be very under-rated in the homeschool community.

Faithe

We are using Mother of Divine Grace syllabi, which starting with 3rd uses a textbook spine each year and adds in supplemental reading. This year it is using the 3rd Grade Abeka text for history and geography, which I was a bit wary of but which I do actually like. I'm not sure what I'll like with their later suggestions, which are based around older Catholic school history texts, but I do very much like their methodology.

We recently made the switch to one text book per child and we are all pleased.

We have used different literature-based or multi-text based off and on for several years because that's what *I* was drawn to, and our eldest ds was and is a voracious reader. As our two middle guys have grown, I found that they were checking out, that they were not interested in reading the same information from several sources. They both want/need something more streamlined... general maintenance. ;)

We have really enjoyed titles from both Bob Jones and Christian Liberty Press. Presently our 13yo is using BJU's The American Republic. After our many years of homeschooling, this is one of my favorites thus far. Is is well-organized, has a lot of great visuals, and the material is presented in an engaging manner. I have also found it lends itself well to the WTM style of outlining. Our 10yo and I are finding Child's Story of America to be quite interesting and well-written too. It also lends itself well to writing summaries the WTM way.

I find it very easy to flesh out with good literature. All in all, I think the boys' history studies are rich and full. I don't feel the need to have a huge program any more.

ETA: I think the BJU 3rd edition TMs are excellent. They are full color reduced pages, and it includes a cd-rom with additional activities.

Edited by angela&4boys
TM info

There are families who are using and have used textbooks for history (and other subjects for that matter.) Jump over to the high school board, and you will see that many families use a mix of textbooks, great books...whatever works for mom and the student. In addition, we know many families who have used only textbooks. Their children have gone on to college, graduate school, and beyond. The children love to learn, and they are successful. They are not dullards in any way. In fact, some of the sweetest and brightest homeschoolers I know have used only textbooks. SWB is not averse to textbooks and workbooks. She suggests R&S, Writing Strands, Wiley Guides for upper-level science, Apologia, etc. Even WWE and FLL are workbooks of sorts - just SWB's and JW's version. SWB uses SOTW as a narrative text. We are using something similar for U.S. History this year. I've been thinking about this thread since yesterday because the textbook versus literature versus X discussion puts doubt and guilt into the hearts and minds of loving homeschool mothers. It's something that concerns me because homeschooling is challenging, and most mothers are working hard to raise caring and compassionate children along with staying on top of academics.

Edited by 1Togo

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better about my decision now. I think I'll finish ECC this year but probably buy BJU Heritage Studies for next year (unless I find something better between now and then). I have lots of Sonlight books to supplement and I have some lit guides to use as resources for more books, so there will be plenty of books.

You're right 1Togo, the text book versus lit approach does cause guilt and concern for some homeschooling mothers. I am one of them! I'm hoping to let that go, but in order for that to happen I am going to have to find a text I just love, and I don't know if that's going to happen.

This is part of my struggle. When I look at the texts for the lower grades they tend to be more social studies than history and they don't seem to follow a strict chronological structure. I like the chronological approach that that Lit programs use, but I can't stand the actual implementation of the program.

Also, I'm not thrilled about the narrative style texts. Quite simply, what I'm looking for is a text that uses a chronological approach but without the confines of a lit program.

I've been following this thread because I will be looking for a textbook for history next year for my dd12. She strongly dislikes historical fiction and so a lot of the literature based programs are not a good fit for her. Not to hijack your thread but I'm wondering about Human Odyssey (K12). Is it considered "textbook"?

I've been following this thread because I will be looking for a textbook for history next year for my dd12. She strongly dislikes historical fiction and so a lot of the literature based programs are not a good fit for her. Not to hijack your thread but I'm wondering about Human Odyssey (K12). Is it considered "textbook"?

I really like Prentiss Halls American Nation coupled with the History Channels Story of US. The Prentiss Hall book includes many primary documents in the appendix and it also includes map skills, writing/ project prompts etc. It is really a pretty book too.

Faithe

I think textbooks can be very under-rated in the homeschool community.

I agree and I used to be the worst textbook snob!! Now that I switched to textbooks for history and science our lives are sooooo much easier and the kids are a lot happier.

I just wish the younger grades (3rd and under) were better.

As far as K12's Human Odyssey is concerned, I believe they are textbooks, but not your typical textbooks, more of a narrative style. We're planning on using these in conjunction with H.A. Guerber books during the logic stage.

This is part of my struggle. When I look at the texts for the lower grades they tend to be more social studies than history and they don't seem to follow a strict chronological structure. I like the chronological approach that that Lit programs use, but I can't stand the actual implementation of the program.

This has been my same struggle! I want more than social studies. I'm looking for history and geography. We used MOH 1, SOTW 2,3. STOW 2 took us 2 years to get through. We started our cycle over this year with MOH. I like it but don't love it. There is SO much info. in each lesson. With 3 lessons, basically 3 topics, per week ...my children are familiar with the info. but I'm not so sure they are retaining as much as they would with a more textbook format. MOH 1 includes a lot of Bible so that helps. I'd like to continue with it but am not 100% we will because the amount of detail in each lesson is so overwhelming.

As far as K12's Human Odyssey is concerned, I believe they are textbooks, but not your typical textbooks, more of a narrative style. We're planning on using these in conjunction with H.A. Guerber books during the logic stage.

So, this would be more in the style of SOTW? When I think of a textbook I think of something that has end of chapter review questions and maybe a couple short writing assignments. Any of that sort of thing in HO?

Hopefully not to hijack the thread either, but where do you order textbooks like Prentice Hall? Do you have to find them used? (It seems from the website that only schools/districts can order.

I've found a lot on Amazon but it is hit or miss as to whether they have the edition your looking for. I'm not positive but I believe I have heard people say they ordered straight from the company by calling and speaking to a representative. Hopefully someone who knows for sure can comment.

I've found a lot on Amazon but it is hit or miss as to whether they have the edition your looking for. I'm not positive but I believe I have heard people say they ordered straight from the company by calling and speaking to a representative. Hopefully someone who knows for sure can comment.

Thank you for the insight. :) I might have to start searching Amazon. (Though for now it's more for science than history, though ds#1 is almost at logic stage so I'm going to need to start thinking ahead to that as well.)

So, this would be more in the style of SOTW? When I think of a textbook I think of something that has end of chapter review questions and maybe a couple short writing assignments. Any of that sort of thing in HO?

HO has those in the separate Teachers Guides and Student pages, although some of the material in the guides is designed to go with online features of the K12 course (which you wouldn't have access to if you're not enrolled). Here is one thread with a bit more about it; if you do a search for "K12 Human Odyssey" you should find additional threads.

Jackie

Hopefully not to hijack the thread either, but where do you order textbooks like Prentice Hall? Do you have to find them used? (It seems from the website that only schools/districts can order.

I order directly from Prentice Hall/Pearson. You have to call customer service and they will send you a form to fill out and send back to them (I scanned it and emailed it). It simply states that you are a homeschool teacher and that you won't show the answer keys to your student. Once you do that, you can order anything at any time. I've ordered science from them two years in a row. It's really a painless process.