Menu

Need new spelling program

kahlanne

My 9yr old dd is a horrible speller and slow reader. She spells phonetically, ex. picture=pikshur and something=sumthing. We have used Abeka spelling and phonics, Avko Sequential Spelling, and Clickin Kids Online Phonics and Spelling. She couldn't keep up with Abeka, didn't care for the cutesy character on CKO, and Avko is working some but not enough imo. She has always struggled with rote memorization. (long term memory is drastically better than short term) When asked to copy spelling words, she doesn't pay attn. to spelling and does so almost abscent mindedly. With SS, she isn't quick to notice the patterns unless pointed out to her. Memorizing spelling rules is difficult unless it "clicks" with her. Since she is a slow reader, we have continued with phonics. Abeka moved too fast, had too many special sounds in a short time period, and the sight words really confused her. Phonics Pathways has been great but she was getting bored. We moved to Abecedarian which she really likes. She likes that it lists all the sounds a letter makes but finds it difficult to choose the correct spelling of that sound for each word. Which is why I am searching for the best spelling program for her. Since I am expecting baby #6, I would love something that isn't too teacher intensive. I hope to spend no more than 20-30 min. on spelling per day. I am really interested in Apples and Pears spelling, AAS, and SWR. While it doesn't have to be completely pick up and go, I do want it to be fairly easy for me to learn and implement with some hand holding. Any advice?

FWIW, she is in third grade and enjoys short workbook pages. I think the downfall with PP was her becoming bored with just reading pyramids. She would have liked something more. The more bored she became, the harder it was to get her through it. We still use it but only as a quick lesson before doing something she enjoys. Like a bribe, if you read two pages in PP then you can work on a lapbook today or move on to Abecedarian. LOL.

This sounds a lot like my DD and she is doing very well with AAS.

She also has a very hard time with memorizing rules, etc... but these ones are really starting to stick because of the slow nature of the program and reviewing so much.

She also did Abeka phonics in K and moved on to Saxon phonics in 1st, but nothing worked for her phonetic spelling. What I really like about AAS is that there isn't any coding or marking the words. She has gone through 2 coding systems that didn't help, and I didn't want to confuse her with anything else like SWR would do.

Apples and Pears looks really interesting, and I have looked at is really closely. The reason I went with AAS is that my DD really needed the explicit instruction on how to spell the root words themselves, not yet the morphemes if that makes sense.

I spend about 10-20 minutes a day on AAS so as not to overwhelm.

I know this wasn't in your "what about" list, but have you looked at MegaWords? I started using it with my dd11 a few weeks ago and she loves doing it. We have tried Spelling Power, I made spelling rule cards form the rules in PP, and I have tried using lists from various online programs. All with no success. Something about breaking the words down into their syllables has really struck a cord in her. It isn't very expensive and I spend only about 5-10 minutes a day facilitating.

AAS has changed my 12 year old son. Yep, he is 12

we started from the very beginning...and I told him, we are going to fly threw it as fast as he could flap!

He had huge gaps, (public school til 4th grade...guilt ridden mom), and we are filling those gaps.

I do recommend a white board versus the paper and pencil...just makes it fun for him.

I also use freezer bags, quart bags for the cards versus the box. Just was easier for us.

I told him it was going to seem a bit easy at first, but we had to learn the system.

As we have figured it out, we spend maybe 15 minutes TOPS doing the program.

We have indeed flown, the first book is almost done, took 6 weeks, I just got 2 and 3 and we are going to do them all...and then he can move with a firm foundation to the next levels.

happy words to hear to this mom

12 year old son to his 11 year old sister who can spell everything...."did you know that every syllable has a vowel?"

He enjoys it enough to tell others what he has learned!

I am enjoying watching him get it!!

With my oldest dd, I used Spelling Power. It worked beautifully for her because she was conscientious about following through with the 10-step process. That process requires the student to (if memory serves) write the correct spelling for every misspelled word, close eyes and picture it, rewrite it, and do several other steps that I can't recall. :tongue_smilie: The student then does a follow-up activity such as write the word in sand with finger, write it on brother's back with finger, write it with chalk on black paper, ect. There are *lots* of follow-up activities.

It worked with my dd b/c she would dutifully go through each step and imprint the correct spelling in her mind. My sons -- not so much. They cruised through the steps and didn't retain much (but they weren't poor spellers). Teacher requirement is only to call out a short list each day -- about 10 minutes. Student goes off and completes 10-step sheet and follow-up activity on own. Downside: no rules and no real rhyme or reason to the lists.

With my other poor speller, I'm using Sequential Spelling. I love it!! Very easy to implement, pick up and go, word lists built on sound (-all, -ent, etc), 10 minutes a day. I teach my ds the primary spelling rules, when those words come along in the lists.

IMHO, I really think any student that will consistently use a solid spelling program, read daily and become spelling aware as they mature in their age and ability will show great spelling progress. Handing off a workbook will not likely produce the results that a tutoring-type program would. It doesn't have to take long, but it should be done every day.

I've seen HUGE progress in both my dd and ds with different programs. In my experience, most of that progress has come from consistent daily spelling tutored by me, awareness of basic spelling rules, awareness of spelling in their writing, literature-rich schooling and general maturity. I think 9 years old is a perfect time to start with serious spelling work.

HTH!

Lisa

Spalding. Although there is lead time while you learn how to teach it, it's pretty easy to implement daily. Mostly you can't hand it off to her and say "Here--do this," but the results are SO worth the time involvement.

Spalding covers spelling, reading, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing. You wouldn't need anything else for English skills for a loooong time.

AAS has changed my 12 year old son. Yep, he is 12

we started from the very beginning...and I told him, we are going to fly threw it as fast as he could flap!

He had huge gaps, (public school til 4th grade...guilt ridden mom), and we are filling those gaps.

I do recommend a white board versus the paper and pencil...just makes it fun for him.

I also use freezer bags, quart bags for the cards versus the box. Just was easier for us.

I told him it was going to seem a bit easy at first, but we had to learn the system.

As we have figured it out, we spend maybe 15 minutes TOPS doing the program.

We have indeed flown, the first book is almost done, took 6 weeks, I just got 2 and 3 and we are going to do them all...and then he can move with a firm foundation to the next levels.

happy words to hear to this mom

12 year old son to his 11 year old sister who can spell everything...."did you know that every syllable has a vowel?"

He enjoys it enough to tell others what he has learned!

I am enjoying watching him get it!!

:iagree: My oldest is 11 and AAS is the one thing that has really helped him. You will fly through the beginning levels, but they are definitely worth it IMHO.

I just asked about this! We switched my daughter (this week) to super teacher worksheets from AAS. I was going to create my own spelling curriculum, but I found this website linked at someone's blog and they shared how they use it successfully. She did lesson 1 yesterday (all of it!) and had a blast. Today, I gave her a test, but instead of spelling the words individually, I created sentences incorporating all of the spelling words (6 sentences total). I have found my daughter does much better if she has to spell the words in sentences, otherwise she will "ace" the test and forget the words totally (i.e as in your example, my dd would spell "picture" perfectly for a test and then revert back to "pikshur" when using it in a sentence). Also, since there are 2 columns for copying the words, she does it once in manuscript and the second column in cursive. Again, I believe it helps to store the word to memory. Anyway, we've only just begun with this website, but I feel like it will work well enough. Plus, it's free. YAY!

http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/spellinglevelc.html

There are lower grades to the left side column as well.

Susan

We're using AAS. It is pick up and go, for sure, BUT it is teacher intensive in that you lead the daily work. My DS was a lot like yours, VERY phonetic spelling and he has come so far and we just finished book one today. It only took us 11 weeks of school and we're onto Book 2 tomorrow! I do spelling 4 days per week for 20-25 minutes max.

I just asked about this! We switched my daughter (this week) to super teacher worksheets from AAS. I was going to create my own spelling curriculum, but I found this website linked at someone's blog and they shared how they use it successfully. She did lesson 1 yesterday (all of it!) and had a blast. Today, I gave her a test, but instead of spelling the words individually, I created sentences incorporating all of the spelling words (6 sentences total). I have found my daughter does much better if she has to spell the words in sentences, otherwise she will "ace" the test and forget the words totally (i.e as in your example, my dd would spell "picture" perfectly for a test and then revert back to "pikshur" when using it in a sentence). Also, since there are 2 columns for copying the words, she does it once in manuscript and the second column in cursive. Again, I believe it helps to store the word to memory. Anyway, we've only just begun with this website, but I feel like it will work well enough. Plus, it's free. YAY!

Susan

Thanks for posting this website. I have been looking for a site that has these types of resources for all subjects. I really like the math pages.

I adore AAS, and am a SWR drop out. Apples and Pears intrigues me, but I don't get how the child learns to spell the base word. Love the idea of using meaning aspect of it.

But my first question would actually be does your child see words in their mind? If they don't they will likely struggle with spelling until they do build that ability. Seeing Stars was written to develop that ability for those who don't have it. The whole program is a phonics/spelling program, probably more than you need. The TM can be applied to any spelling program, so I am using the methods with AAS.

Heather

I adore AAS, and am a SWR drop out. Apples and Pears intrigues me, but I don't get how the child learns to spell the base word. Love the idea of using meaning aspect of it.

But my first question would actually be does your child see words in their mind? If they don't they will likely struggle with spelling until they do build that ability. Seeing Stars was written to develop that ability for those who don't have it. The whole program is a phonics/spelling program, probably more than you need. The TM can be applied to any spelling program, so I am using the methods with AAS.

Heather

Hmmm...I am not sure if she sees the words in her mind or not. I would guess not just from things she does but I will have to ask her when she gets home from judo.

I have a question about AAS to those that recommended it.

AAS: Is it rule intensive? I know my daughter needs to learn the rules but our downfall with Abeka spelling/phonics was she was never able to make the rules stick in her mind. We went over and over the rule about using K and C and she still can't come close to saying the rule. However, I have found that over time she Does usually spell K/C words correctly now but I am pretty sure it isn't thanks to learning the rules. If I ask her to choose the correct sentence about the rule, she doesn't always choose the correct answer even though we drilled this over and over along with many worksheets.

Example: Choose the correct rule below.

K comes before I and E and C before the other three.

C comes before I and E and K before the other three.

K comes before A and E and C before the other three.

So for this child, would you still recommend AAS? Even though she can't seem to remember rules, she is doing pretty good with Abecedarian's program. She is able to read and recall multiple sounds for individual letters even though she isn't sure which one to use in the spelling. Would you suggest AAS when she is already learning phonemes with ABCD?

I have a question about AAS to those that recommended it.

AAS: Is it rule intensive? I know my daughter needs to learn the rules but our downfall with Abeka spelling/phonics was she was never able to make the rules stick in her mind. We went over and over the rule about using K and C and she still can't come close to saying the rule. However, I have found that over time she Does usually spell K/C words correctly now but I am pretty sure it isn't thanks to learning the rules. If I ask her to choose the correct sentence about the rule, she doesn't always choose the correct answer even though we drilled this over and over along with many worksheets.

Example: Choose the correct rule below.

K comes before I and E and C before the other three.

C comes before I and E and K before the other three.

K comes before A and E and C before the other three.

So for this child, would you still recommend AAS? Even though she can't seem to remember rules, she is doing pretty good with Abecedarian's program. She is able to read and recall multiple sounds for individual letters even though she isn't sure which one to use in the spelling. Would you suggest AAS when she is already learning phonemes with ABCD?

AAS is very rule-based, but I wouldn't let that dissuade you. My DD also would not have been able to remember Abeka's "K comes before I and E and C before the other three" either.

In AAS you first learn the rule that C says /s/ before e, i, and y. Then you add in the rule that to spell the sound of /k/ at the beginning of the word you use either c or k. You try the c first.

This has clicked for my DD even though it seems like it shouldn't. I think the fact that AAS adds in mutisensory work really helps DC to actually SEE what we mean by the words.

For example, when building the word "cat" you would use a blank tile for the /k/ sound, the /a/ tile, and then the /t/ tile. Then you would decide from there whether this word would use the c or the k for the blank tile. Seeing it, talking it over, segmenting, writing, and then overlearning this really makes that rule stick.

Does that help?

Edited by sixpence1978
spelling :)

Yes AAS is rule intensive, but it has review built in which we find really helpful. I have an 8 year old son, we started AAS 4 weeks ago. We are flying through it, but we have already found gaps that are being filled in. We love it. The other nice thing about starting at the beginning is that DS finds it easy. Spelling has gone from his least favorite subject to one of his favorite. He starts spelling class now with the mindset that he will succeed and that has made a lot of difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Susan

I am using the Grade 1 spelling list for my 5 yr old and he is flying through it. If I didn't slow down he would have finished it by now.

However, that said, my older son who is turning 8 in a few days isn't doing well with Sequential Spelling and I have searched how and low and finally decided to try AAS. I am buying/bought AAS 1 and AAS 2 and will start from the begining. Ds 5 will also start from the beginning. I want them to have a solid spelling program that we can follow without having to switch to another program.

J