Menu

Is my kid the only one that needs lots of review?

FairProspects

I keep seeing so many references to people dropping or condensing FLL because of too much repetition, or speeding through other curriculum like math skip-counting and I wonder how on earth they are doing it. Don't most kids need a lot of review to pick up skills?

We are about 10 lessons into FLL, so its possible we haven't really noticed it yet, and to be fair, LA is not ds's strongest subject, but so far we love it and it is the perfect speed for us. Similarly, ds needs a lot of review on reading & math skills like phonics, odds/evens, skip counting, etc.

Ds synthesizes and applies high levels of content subjects in amazing ways, but when it comes to skills, they take lots and lots of practice. Isn't that fairly common for young children? Some of the comments on this board make us feel like we are slow or missing something!

There are children that pick up things really fast, but you are right, most need quite a bit of review. Although again, "quite a bit" is different for different children :) Don't feel bad about it, do as much review as your children need and don't look at others. I don't do a lot of review in LA, unless I see that my daughter doesn't get something, but we always do a lot of review in math. Whatever works.

Obviously SWB thinks kids needed that much review :001_smile: We did FLL with my dd in 1st and 2nd before she went to a Christian school for two years. She needed all that review, and we loved it. She just turned 12 and can still recite all the prepositions :001_smile:

We didn't shorten FLL 1 (and I don't plan on shortening 2, either) We're in no hurry and the repetition is good. We found plenty to talk about and learn. In fact, we're almost done (Lesson 80-something, started in January) and I still have her tell me the definitions of nouns, pronouns (and give an example. I want to work on memorizing the whole list), and verbs every day we do FLL - even when the book doesn't ask for it. There's so much good stuff in there!

I understand the repetition drives some people crazy. It did me, too, at first, but my dear friend told me to let the repetition do its work and to be patient. M-girl memorizes quickly and easily, but there is value in reciting. She will never forget those definitions now! She can apply it, too, if I ask her what kind of word such and such is, she can tell me noun, pronoun, or verb. Yay!

Guest mrsjamiesouth
I keep seeing so many references to people dropping or condensing FLL because of too much repetition, or speeding through other curriculum like math skip-counting and I wonder how on earth they are doing it. Don't most kids need a lot of review to pick up skills?

We are about 10 lessons into FLL, so its possible we haven't really noticed it yet, and to be fair, LA is not ds's strongest subject, but so far we love it and it is the perfect speed for us. Similarly, ds needs a lot of review on reading & math skills like phonics, odds/evens, skip counting, etc.

Ds synthesizes and applies high levels of content subjects in amazing ways, but when it comes to skills, they take lots and lots of practice. Isn't that fairly common for young children? Some of the comments on this board make us feel like we are slow or missing something!

I think what the people who skip ahead will find is that their children have memorized it in their short term memory but will not retain it long term. I think it is important to keep reviewing so that they don't just memorize it but really Learn it.

There are children that pick up things really fast, but you are right, most need quite a bit of review.
I've got one that memorizes a fairly lengthy poem each week (usually by the second day) and another that needs more repetition. I just give them each what they need without a second thought or a worry. Edited by nmoira

Kids are just different. About half my kids need that kind of review and the other half don't.

I have found that my children learn very quickly when they are ready to learn.

One of my sons learnt all the times tables in a couple of hours simply because he was mature enough to understand and learn them. It probably would have taken him years if I hadn't have waited.

I am currently teaching ds7 the basic parts of speech and he is taking a while to learn them. My other ds11 happen to overhear me talking about the subject and predicate one time and several weeks later was able to tell me the definitions. It made sense to him so he remembered, simple as that. It makes me wonder why I am bothering with teaching ds7!

Stephanie

My DD is doing better with doubling up lessons in FLL. Before I started doing it, it was boring her. We don't skip, but we do combine lessons (usually a narration lesson or a new memory lesson with a grammar lesson) and are going through it at a faster rate, so we'll probably finish it this year. She's doing very well with the pace.

Math, on the other hand, I've had to slow down and increase repetition and practice.

Every kid is different.

I used to wonder why there was an emphasis on memorizing the helping verbs, prepositions, etc. It definitely came in handy in the older grades.

I have at least one child who needs lots of review. For her we have flashcards (rolodex) for history and science in addition to math facts. There is a noticeable dip in retention if she doesn't review her flashcards daily.

I have to say that whenever I hear someone complaining that a particular curriculum is too slow or repetitive then that's the one I look at for my dc. My kids NEED slow and repetitive. And that's why I love it when people ask why someone does not like a particular curriculum. It is often more helpful to me than those that gush about how much they love something.

Some of mine really need the extra review and some don't. Each child is different.

I teach some things together, and those that don't need it are simply "over learning" and that is good. Over learning means that it will come naturally and automatically later when they really need it.

I think what the people who skip ahead will find is that their children have memorized it in their short term memory but will not retain it long term. I think it is important to keep reviewing so that they don't just memorize it but really Learn it.

Maybe, maybe not. Really, each child is different. Each child's memory is different. I have one child who memorizes extremely fast and HATES repetition. I use FLL 1/2 with him, but do skip lessons (or portions of lessons) when I get that "Mom, do we have to do this AGAIN????" from him. And... it's not just in his short term memory.

He memorized his ENTIRE AWANA book, plus review, plus an additional set of verse cards in just 4 mos. last year (should have taken him the whole school year, a lot of kids in our program don't get to the review). He has some of these same verses as review verses this year and all he needs is the first word and he recites those verses from a year ago perfectly. Now, that is not all of my children by any means, but there are some kids who have an excellent memory.

I wouldn't worry too much about what other kids are/aren't doing. Really all that matters is what your child needs. We get into trouble when we start comparing ourselves and our kids ;)...

I'm not arguing against occasional review, but some kids don't need weeks to master, "A noun is..." etc. Some do. We drastically compacted FLL with my eldest because she simply didn't need that amount of repetition. To have forced her to do it would have left her literally screaming.

I would have been one to say we dropped FLL because of too much repetition, but that was only the 4th book. We went to Rod and Staff which is no less repetitive, but we just couldn't stand the type of repetition in FLL 4. My kids need repetition too, but sometimes you just need to change things up a bit. Rod and Staff and FLL basically teach the same concepts, so I didn't feel like I was making a wild and crazy change. I just couldn't take FLL 4 anymore, but I know it's a good curriculum.

My kids still need lots of review in some areas and they are older. Don't sweat it. After years of homeschooling and reading message boards, I've learned not to compare my kids to other kids. If your child is learning, growing, thriving--celebrate! It doesn't matter where a child is in comparison to other kids, and whether they get a concept quicker or more slowly--as an adult, I never think about when I learned to read or write or do certain math topics, unless I'm trying to remember for the sake of teaching my children, LOL! It just doesn't matter now.

We're all individuals, with different strengths and weaknesses--and that's ok :).

Merry :-)