Menu

Corn Chowder - Recipe?

I have been making the Betty Crocker recipe for Corn Chowder for over 20 years. I have tweeked it a bit, but here's the original with my variations.

(easier to find it online than type it all out)

Betty Crocker Corn Chowder

1/2 pound bacon, diced

1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)

1/2 cup chopped celery (with tops)

2 tablespoons flour

4 cups milk

1 can (1 pound 1 ounce) cream-style corn

I use 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn

1 can (1 pound) tiny whole potatoes, diced

I use raw potatoes, cubed. I just add them when I add the milk and simmer for 15 mins or so until the potatoes are done.

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

In large saucepan, fry bacon until crisp; remove and drain.

Pour all but 3 tablespoons drippings from saucepan.

Add onion and celery to drippings in pan; cook and stir until onion is tender.

Remove from heat; blend in flour.

Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is bubbly.

Remove from heat.

Stir in milk.

Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.

Boil and stir 1 minute.

Stir in com, potatoes, salt and pepper; heat through.

(If using raw potatoes and frozen corn, just simmer for 15 mins or so until the potatoes are done.)

Stir in bacon and serve.

I'm eating a bowl of leftover corn chowder as I type this :D I love my MILs recipe:

6 slices bacon

1 onion, chopped

2 large potatoes, diced into 1/2" cubes (I usually use 4 small red potatoes)

1 can creamed corn

1 can whole-kernel corn

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup flour

2 cups grated cheddar cheese

milk

salt & pepper to taste

In a large soup pot, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan along with about 1/2 of the drippings. Saute onions in the remaining drippings until translucent. In the meantime, crumble the bacon and return to the pan. Add potatoes and cover with barely enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 min or until potatoes are tender. Add both cans of corn, undrained, and continue to simmer on low. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly. Stir butter/flour mixture into the bacon/onion/potato/corn mixture to thicken. If soup is too thick, add milk to desired consistency.

**at this point, you can put it in the crockpot and keep it hot for 2-3 hours (I do this if we're headed out for karate or gymnastics). I wouldn't go more than about 3 hours on low though because the milk products will start to break down. Or you can proceed immediately to the next step**

Stir in grated cheddar cheese, and add salt and pepper to taste. Do not salt before this point because the salt in the bacon, butter, canned corn and cheddar cheese really adds up. I usually add very little salt.

Enjoy! This soup is a Christmas Eve Tradition at my ILs.

If you are in a real hurry, there's always this one. ;) It's my families favorite canned soup.

That's so funny because just yesterday we stocked up on certain Progresso soups (like the home style chicken noodle and the rice and noodle) because they were on sale for a dollar! Today we were commenting (just within the past half hour) that, years ago, the only Progresso soup we ever saw on the shelves was Minestrone. We have never seen Progresso corn chowder on the shelves!!!

I just went back and read over each recipe again and noted that not one called for blending the soup near the end. I am so relieved! I had checked a cook book and it said you had to blend it - I do not have a blender, so I had been debating whether the mixer would do the job sufficiently, then wondering why you'd want it blended anyway? :confused: So I am delighted to have several different recipes to try and no blending!

Thanks to all!

I'm eating a bowl of leftover corn chowder as I type this :D I love my MILs recipe:

6 slices bacon

1 onion, chopped

1 can creamed corn

1 can whole-kernel corn

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup flour

milk

salt & pepper to taste

In a large soup pot, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan along with about 1/2 of the drippings. Saute onions in the remaining drippings until translucent. In the meantime, crumble the bacon and return to the pan. Add potatoes and cover with barely enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 min or until potatoes are tender. Add both cans of corn, undrained, and continue to simmer on low. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly. Stir butter/flour mixture into the bacon/onion/potato/corn mixture to thicken. If soup is too thick, add milk to desired consistency.

**at this point, you can put it in the crockpot and keep it hot for 2-3 hours (I do this if we're headed out for karate or gymnastics). I wouldn't go more than about 3 hours on low though because the milk products will start to break down. Or you can proceed immediately to the next step**

Stir in grated cheddar cheese, and add salt and pepper to taste. Do not salt before this point because the salt in the bacon, butter, canned corn and cheddar cheese really adds up. I usually add very little salt.

just made this one and it is GREAT!

thanks!

6 slices bacon

1 onion, chopped

1 can creamed corn

1 can whole-kernel corn

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup flour

milk

salt & pepper to taste

A couple questions, please, about this delicious-sounding recipe!

--Can you substitute home grown blanched and frozen corn for the can of regular (not creamed) corn? (I've noticed cans of corn called for in other recipes, too). Maybe add a can of water or maybe a cup of boullion to make up for the liquid?

--I am assuming the cans of corn are the standard one pound cans?

--About how many servings does this make? It doesn't seem to call for much liquid, unless you thin it with milk . . .

THANK YOU!

A couple questions, please, about this delicious-sounding recipe!

--Can you substitute home grown blanched and frozen corn for the can of regular (not creamed) corn? (I've noticed cans of corn called for in other recipes, too). Maybe add a can of water or maybe a cup of boullion to make up for the liquid?

--I am assuming the cans of corn are the standard one pound cans?

--About how many servings does this make? It doesn't seem to call for much liquid, unless you thin it with milk . . .

THANK YOU!

1. Yes. When I made mine last week, I didn't have any canned corn and I was too lazy to run out to the store, so I just put in a 12-oz bag of frozen corn. I did end up adding a lot more milk than I usually do since I didn't put in two cans of un-drained corn.

2. Yes, standard 15/16 oz cans.

3. I'd say 8-10 *generous* portions. Our family of five usually has a good amount leftover (and it reheats beautifully, btw).

1. Yes. When I made mine last week, I didn't have any canned corn and I was too lazy to run out to the store, so I just put in a 12-oz bag of frozen corn. I did end up adding a lot more milk than I usually do since I didn't put in two cans of un-drained corn.

2. Yes, standard 15/16 oz cans.

3. I'd say 8-10 *generous* portions. Our family of five usually has a good amount leftover (and it reheats beautifully, btw).

THANK YOU! I am planning to make this recipe later this week and was hoping it would last for two days! I have the creamed corn (also the regular) but would like to use the frozen corn up first, so I will start with that.

• 2 weeks later...

6 slices bacon

1 onion, chopped

1 can creamed corn

1 can whole-kernel corn

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup flour

milk

salt & pepper to taste

LemonPie,

My family had your corn chowder for dinner tonight. You are our new favorite person! Dinner was delicious ... thank you.

Regards,

Kareni

6 slices bacon

1 onion, chopped

1 can creamed corn

1 can whole-kernel corn

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup flour

milk

salt & pepper to taste

My family and I absolutely loved this recipe! It is hands-down one of THE best soups I have EVER made. This recipe is a definite keeper!