Menu

FYI Netflix Instant Streaming

just added a bunch of new stuff including Beakman's world (Science for kids) and many National Geographic Series and documentaries.

Many new TV series were added as well including some cooking shows and other "reality" TV.

ETA- It didn't show up when I searched the new TV but I am currently watching a series called Monarchy that chronicles the history of the Monarchs in England. It has been very interesting as well.

Thanks for the info. And I agree about Netflicks being awful about searching for titles. We just switched to Netflicks because all of the Blockbuster's near us have now closed. My DH and DS are loving it but me - not so much. The reason we waited so long to switch... Netflix instant streaming does not have captions or subtitles available.

Just a little hi-jack... For those of you that use Netflicks, would you consider helping put the pressure on them to add this oh-so-important accessibility feature for the millions like me and my daughters that have hearing loss? A quick email saying you want the option of viewing captions/subtitles on streaming videos would be awesome!!! Thanks!

Woohoo! Beakman's World! Does this mean I can ditch our science curriculum?:lol:

Thanks for the info . . . as others have expressed NetFlix is NOT search friendly. It's too bad. NetFlix could easily position themselves to put cable and satellite companies out of business, if they could get their act together.

Thanks for the info. And I agree about Netflicks being awful about searching for titles. We just switched to Netflicks because all of the Blockbuster's near us have now closed. My DH and DS are loving it but me - not so much. The reason we waited so long to switch... Netflix instant streaming does not have captions or subtitles available.

Just a little hi-jack... For those of you that use Netflicks, would you consider helping put the pressure on them to add this oh-so-important accessibility feature for the millions like me and my daughters that have hearing loss? A quick email saying you want the option of viewing captions/subtitles on streaming videos would be awesome!!! Thanks!

I wish they had subtitles as well. I'm not hard of hearing but I do like to watch movies with the volume down and subtitles so I don't disturb sleeping kids.

I told DH I wanted him to work for Netflix. He could fix the issues and have the great vacation benefits.

Totally OT, but do you know about the Described and Captioned Media Program? They have nowhere near the capabilities or sheer # of videos as Netflix, but its FREE for students with hearing loss. And everything is captioned. :001_smile:

Totally OT, but do you know about the Described and Captioned Media Program? They have nowhere near the capabilities or sheer # of videos as Netflix, but its FREE for students with hearing loss. And everything is captioned. :001_smile:

Thanks Amy! I am aware of the program but reminders and more opportunities to get the word out never hurts. :) I have looked at their website a couple of times but haven't taken the time to really set up an account. Our state also has a free book and video lending library through our state school for the deaf. Unfortunately it is even harder to search than Netflix and I haven't requested anything from them either.