Menu

So, I sought a spiritual advisor at my graduate school........

She happens to actually be a Spiritual Advisor as well as a Professor. I knew she'd be "safe" in that my liberalism wouldn't threaten or bother her. She asked me how I most deeply "felt God" and I told her in solitude, quiet moments and in wonderful encounters with people I know are of God, not "chance".

I've never really been moved by corporate worship.

She suggested "Centering prayer" to me. It turns out that a retreat center in Houston was having a workshop and contemplative weekend. It was full. I was put on a waiting list. At the last minute, someone cancelled. :) I was able to get off work (library job) and go. Coincidence? I think not.

It was wonderful. Spending 30 hours with 35+ people and not talking was fascinating. You *really* have to find quiet and stillness and peace. You can hear God. :001_smile:

I think that the prayer discipline is one that might be a match for me at this time, so I think I will continue with it. The writers of the contemplative movement also speak to me, especially Keating who is pluralistic friendly, psychologically and recovery minded.

I think that this "path" may help me be more fully able to attend church with my family.

Of course, there are those who won't like that I went to a female as a spiritual leader, there are plenty of "anti-contemplative" or "anti-centering prayer" sites. Let's not even mention the fact that retreats are often at Catholic facilities. (BTW, Catholics do the best job of truly representing the incarnate Jesus! The stations of the cross were as powerful to me this time as they were the first time 10 or so years ago). There are some who won't be satisfied until I am a cookie-cutter drone Christian.

I don't want to close on a negative note, so I will say that he weekend was restorative for me, the weather perfect and I am glad I went. I did not have a burning bush (and the point of centering prayer is not a "feeling" of God anyway, it's to get YOU out of the way so God can work). But I did have some time to be, think and pray. I didnt bring any schoolwork, none that I teach and none that I take. Now, I have to go study for a mid term. ;)

Joanne as always there is so much in your post. I wouldn't know where to begin. :D I'm glad you've found a God connection that is working for you. And wouldn't you just love to sneak in and put the stations of the cross up in your family church during the night? :leaving:

Are there any Quakers in your area? If so you might want to also visit some of their worship services. In my area the Quakers, also known as Friends, have silent worship during which congregants "center". There is a lot more to it than that, so I'm sure a bona fide member could tell you the details.

My neighbor who is Quaker once told me a hilarious story about hearing a young boy in a family seated behind him starting to snore during the service. He said it wasn't the snoring that got him, rather it was when the child quietly slid off his pew, down onto the floor, and his little feet appeared next to my friend's from under the pew that got his snicker response activated and that he had to leave the service to keep from howling with laughter at the sight of those little feet poking out.:D

Thanks for posting this! I have been struggling with being "okay" in church a lot recently. In many ways I just don't think I belong anymore...and yet I love my church. This morning I was telling the pastor about how I almost always sit out in the lobby and look out the windows during service. I do better where I can see the horizon and not feel trapped. He just looked at me and said "wouldn't it be great if we could build a church with floor to ceiling windows? Enjoy yourself out here, with the beautiful scenery."

It was nice! But I'm always looking for more copeing skills :D.

Are there any Quakers in your area? If so you might want to also visit some of their worship services. In my area the Quakers, also known as Friends, have silent worship during which congregants "center". There is a lot more to it than that, so I'm sure a bona fide member could tell you the details.

D

My graduate school (which is now diverse and ecumenical and interdenominational) was founded by Quakers. :) Several of the emeritus professors are Quakers and we have a section of our library for Quaker material. I've always enjoyed Barclay as a Bible commentator and as a Christian. I'd love to have a whole set of his writings on each book of the Bible. I feel I could be Quaker-ish, except for the whole pacifist thing. ;)

She suggested "Centering prayer" to me. It turns out that a retreat center in Houston was having a workshop and contemplative weekend. It was full. I was put on a waiting list. At the last minute, someone cancelled. :) I was able to get off work (library job) and go. Coincidence? I think not.

It was wonderful. Spending 30 hours with 35+ people and not talking was fascinating. You *really* have to find quiet and stillness and peace. You can hear God. :001_smile:

I had a reply all typed the other day and then I had thought I hit the reply button, went to another open page and I guess it never posted. I think I never hit submit or something.

Anyway... I am so happy you found something that is working for you. I did a women's retreat several years ago and he focus was centering prayer. I enjoyed the prayer but there was something off about the lady leading it. The place I went also offers silent retreats. I know you aren't close to NC but thought you might be interested. The link is here. I couldn't handle a silent retreat, but it sounds like you could.

I still wanted to say "way to go!"

My graduate school (which is now diverse and ecumenical and interdenominational) was founded by Quakers. :) Several of the emeritus professors are Quakers and we have a section of our library for Quaker material. I've always enjoyed Barclay as a Bible commentator and as a Christian. I'd love to have a whole set of his writings on each book of the Bible. I feel I could be Quaker-ish, except for the whole pacifist thing. ;)

Isn't that where the "Friends" in Friendswood came from?

Joanne, I'm so glad you had a good weekend! I pray that God will lead you perfectly to exactly where he wants you to be in relationship with him. :grouphug: