Menu

How do YOU handle stress?

You mean it isn't a valid strategy to hold it in til you explode?

Seriously though, I will be watching for advice. It's funny, I don't even realize I'm super stressed until I hit the breakdown point. I went to the dr. convinced I was having heart problems because I had that pounding, I can't get a breath feeling and it really was just stress.

Listening with eager ears!

Deep breaths

Telling the people in my life, "I am really stressed right now. What I need you to do is _____________________ (go outside, set the table, stop bickering. . . pay the bills for me. . . fill in the blank with what works for you at that moment).

Taking a quiet time for myself with a good escape book.

Not cooking (if I can get away with it)

Exercising regularly.

Taking a B- complex and fish oil.

I handle stress well, so I go for prevention.

I am a much calmer person if I get exercise almost daily. So, I get up at 5a.m. and am out the door by 5:15. I try to walk/jog 3-5 miles daily. I add strength moves too. If I can't go out I do a video. When I'm waiting for one of my children at an activity I am moving then too (walking circles around the community center building or whatever).

I dislike rising at 5 and exercising in the dark, alone. But there is no other place to put this in the schedule and if I don't I am not nice. So, sometimes I have to push myself out the door and remind myself how I behaved when I slept in or otherwise missed exercise.

I am more tired and you would think that would make me worse in handling stress, but I've noticed it's the exercise that's more needed for me.

run, do yoga, lock myself in the bathroom and take a bath, take the day off (leave town, by myself), or maybe read a book.

Everyone in my house knows when I'm feeling stressed. I seem to make it obvious. :tongue_smilie: The kids will tell me to take a break or to go for a run. If I still seemed stressed at night, my dh will tell to take a bath and go read for a while.

Deep breaths

Telling the people in my life, "I am really stressed right now. What I need you to do is _____________________ (go outside, set the table, stop bickering. . . pay the bills for me. . . fill in the blank with what works for you at that moment).

Taking a quiet time for myself with a good escape book.

Not cooking (if I can get away with it)

Exercising regularly.

Taking a B- complex and fish oil.

This. And doing something creative for myself. Sitting down and making ATC cards. Reading for pleasure-that helps me more than anything.

I pray, mostly.

But I also kind of withdraw to some extent. I tell my family very quietly that I am extremely stressed and need to be alone for a while. Then I go lie down with a book or doze, and try to put my mind on something else. I find that if I break the mood ever so briefly I get really refreshed in my attitude.

I also benefit from going out to wild nature, especially if there is exercise involved, so a walk in the woods or a hike in the hills are really helpful.

From a prevention standpoint, I have ONE calendar, and EVERYTHING is always on it. If I have good lists and am not forgetting anything because everything is down on paper, that makes me able to cover a lot of ground without getting too stressed about it.

Guest EmmetnLindley

I do Yoga, *try* to have a nap, read something light or self-care related, talk to a friend, make myself tea, bake if I have the energy, lit a candle and arrange to be by myself for a little. I would love to be more preventive by including regular/fun exercise and building friendships.

Apparently not as well as I thought.

We figured out that my migraines are caused by stress. Actually it is the stopping of stress so they happen after the stressful time. In less than a week I have had two. After more than a year with NONE.

I don't feel stressed. But obviously my body is more stressed than I thought. I am working on coming up with some ways to cope with stress better, but... ARG!

At least my husband is back from a week in Zurich. (What we think was the cause of the first one.) And my dentist appointment went well this morning. (What I think is the cause of today's migraine.)

BAH!