Menu

If you were to buy a used car for an "extra", what would you get?

I'm thinking ahead (not too far ahead :tongue_smilie:) to when having first one, then two driving teens within the next two years, gets to be a hassle with 2 cars. We're discussing adding a third vehicle.

If you wanted to add another vehicle with a $3,000 - about $5,000 ish budget what would you be looking at? This would ideally be a 3rd "family" type car since it will not specifically belong to the teen/s in question.

It would be nice if it could:

1) Seat 5

2) Carry a little cargo,

3) Be all wheel/4WD

4) Have good reliability and be able to last 200,000 miles or more since it will likely be high mileage when purchased.

5) Not be too hideous (I may end up driving it after all :D.)

6) Not be too expensive to insure with teen drivers

I like the look of the (older) Honda CRV, but does it meet my requirements?

I live in the wrong town for good used foreign vehicles unfortunately. There are 13 Subaru Outbacks (on cars.com) within 75 miles of me and 12 Nissan Pathfinders (cute!). None are in the price range I mentioned.

The CR-V is looking better and better. There are 107 of those (only four under 10k) Still, I'll have to drive an hour to see one--and up my maximum price a bit. :tongue_smilie:I will keep an eye on the papers as well as check out something like Autotrader.

The 4WD/AWD part is less important if the vehicle is FWD otherwise. I was just thinking of dh taking it to work if the roads were especially bad. He leaves around 5:30 AM which is way before any plows head out. A good FWD with a little ground clearance is almost as good (We are close to pavement.)

I may also have to look at domestic vehicles due to geography. Not my preference for this situation though. I live in Michigan by the way--right smack dab between Flint and Detroit. Not the best place to be shopping for a Subaru. ;)

I noticed something interesting driving yesterday from a more populated area heading north toward our home. There is a certain little town south of us that seems to be the dividing line. As soon as you are north of it, you will rarely see ANY foreign cars. It's so predictable, we've made a little game out of it.

A Jeep. Definitely, a Jeep (not an open side or soft top, but a sturdy hardtop model).

Hmmmm.... now, a Jeep I can FIND. And all my autoworker/former autoworker friends and relatives won't disown me. :D

My sister has one and she loves it. My dh would prefer a 6 cylinder which complicates things (for the foreign cars anyway) with trying to keep costs down.

Here's a contender. 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

It's even cute. :001_smile:

What do we think of the Ford Escape?

I have a GMC Jimmy, I think it's a 2002. It's a great size for a younger driver. It's smaller and easier to park, sits up higher, and good gas mileage. Ours has over 160k miles on it and the inside looks almost new, I've been surprised how well the interior decor has held up.

Other similar size vehicles would:

Jeep Cherokee

Ford Escape

Chevy Blazer (same as GMC Jimmy)

Nissan Pathfinder

I have a GMC Jimmy, I think it's a 2002. It's a great size for a younger driver. It's smaller and easier to park, sits up higher, and good gas mileage. Ours has over 160k miles on it and the inside looks almost new, I've been surprised how well the interior decor has held up.

Other similar size vehicles would:

Jeep Cherokee

Ford Escape

Chevy Blazer (same as GMC Jimmy)

Nissan Pathfinder

Chevy Blazer! {smacks forehead}

I'd love one of those. I currently drive a Chevy Traverse. I'm pretty sure the Blazer is a tad smaller with better visibility. They are also EVERYWHERE around here.

Easy to park is good! One of the things that scares me most about my teen driving my car alone is I won't be there to squeak when he backs it out of a parking place nearly swiping the front fender against a nearby car. :ohmy: (You gotta watch both ends at the same time!)

We've had a few close calls. :tongue_smilie:He's getting better at it.

I may also have to look at domestic vehicles due to geography. Not my preference for this situation though. I live in Michigan by the way--right smack dab between Flint and Detroit. Not the best place to be shopping for a Subaru. ;)

and I was just going to recommend a Subaru Legacy. We had one that was great. My friend had one that lasted past 200,000 miles.

and I was just going to recommend a Subaru Legacy. We had one that was great. My friend had one that lasted past 200,000 miles.

Oh, there are a few. There are 16 within 50 miles. Not too bad considering how rural we are. They sure look nice! I think people are hoarding them all in other parts of the country though. :001_smile:

The most decently priced one (about 5k and just over 100,000 miles) is 1.5 hours away. After driving that far, I'd feel like buying it, so I better open up my options a little.

We also get winter here. Sometimes we REALLY get winter, so something truck like be a good choice.

Hmmmm.... now, a Jeep I can FIND. And all my autoworker/former autoworker friends and relatives won't disown me. :D

My sister has one and she loves it. My dh would prefer a 6 cylinder which complicates things (for the foreign cars anyway) with trying to keep costs down.

We just purchased a Jeep Cherokee for $5500. It is a 2000 model with 78,000 miles. I thought of buying a Grand Cherokee, but I kept running into negative reviews. I'm positive you could purchase a Cherokee in your price range. Those things run forever. Dh had an older model many years ago. It had a ton of miles on it and still ran like a charm. The only reason he didn't keep it was because we got rear-ended and it would have cost more to fix it than it was worth. Have you tried to find an old Subaru Forester? They are a little smaller than the Outback, but less expensive. What about an old Volvo station wagon? Some come in AWD.

I haven't read all the responses, but first and foremost, I would look up the Consumer Reports car buying guide. They have a reliability rating and go back several years. When we were buying our cars (all used, with at least 50K on them) Toyota and Honda were tops, as far as used, as best as I can recall. We have had 3 prius' (I totaled one) and they have all been fabulous. They aren't 4 wheel drive, but otherwise they are super! And we now have a Highlander Hybrid (aka HyHi). Only had it for a few months, but again, so far it's been excellent. It's not that I wouldn't buy an American car, if one of them ranked all red circles in CR, it would be a contender.

Check out a Buick Rendezvous. Excellent car at reasonable used prices. A friend of ours bought one and absolutely loves his!

Funny, I was just scrolling through pics of one at cars.com thinking "Hey, I know that building!" It was a local dealer.

It bears a striking resemblance on the inside to my Traverse. I think dh would love it. He would also love getting a new vehicle in the 6k range.

I haven't read all the responses, but first and foremost, I would look up the Consumer Reports car buying guide. They have a reliability rating and go back several years. When we were buying our cars (all used, with at least 50K on them) Toyota and Honda were tops, as far as used, as best as I can recall. We have had 3 prius' (I totaled one) and they have all been fabulous. They aren't 4 wheel drive, but otherwise they are super! And we now have a Highlander Hybrid (aka HyHi). Only had it for a few months, but again, so far it's been excellent. It's not that I wouldn't buy an American car, if one of them ranked all red circles in CR, it would be a contender.

I will look into Consumer Reports for sure.

Thing is, there are 85 Volvos on cars.com withing 50 miles. 4 are under 6k. 2 of those are in Detroit. Good used foreign cars are very rare here in rural Michigan. I had no idea just how rare until I started seeking them.

Anything I buy is going to be expected to be able to plow through a snowdrift or two. I think there's a reason why I've only actually encountered a Prius around here once or twice. I live on a dirt road and ground clearance is an issue--even if the vehicle is not 4WD.

Also, I think people just feel vulnerable in tiny cars with the quantity of trucks we share the road with. The nearest paved road to me (1/8 mile) is the main truck route from Detroit to pretty much anywhere north of it (They head east and west toward Canada & Chicago from my town also--and vice versa.). At any given time, half the traffic may be heavy trucks.

I'm keeping my eyes open though!

I just bought a 2003 of the same model for about $5K. Six cylinder, 4WD. A real answer to prayer as we are now debt free with regard to vehicles and were able to spend only about half of what we'd expected to have to pay to replace our old one once the flease was up. It's good you are looking for one now, they will be harder to come by once the colder weather gets here and people want a 4WD SUV.

Whatever you think of Cash to Clunkers, one thing is sure. It took a lot of good, servicable SUVs out of the used vehicle market.

I think a Jeep will cost you a TON more in repairs than a Toyota or Honda. I've never bought a used Honda, but if you're looking for reliable and long lasting, I'd stick to a Toyota. I think they typically run cheaper than Hondas. Don't get me wrong, I love Hondas and own a 2011 Pilot which I *LOVE* (HATED my 2007 Pilot)

Also, I wouldn't consider a Wrangler. My friend had one and didn't want her kids to drive it because it steered differently than a regular vehicle and she was afraid it could roll over easier and cause serious harm. They are also known not to be comfortable.

My dh is a volvo and lexus certified technician. (he's a mechanic)

Volvo, since being bought by Ford is garbage. Just sayin'. They actually don't appear on the Consumer Safety Report ranks at all, and if by fluke they do show up, it's on the bottom. The safety reputation is all riding on their past reputation before they were purchased, and is completely non-existent anymore.

If I were going to buy a used vehicle for an extra, I'd go with Honda accord or Toyota Corolla. Any of the models are good, though.

We only own Toyota's. ;)

I think a Jeep will cost you a TON more in repairs than a Toyota or Honda./QUOTE]

On what do you base this? She lives in MoTown. Domestic parts should come more easily there.

I didn't mean the parts themselves would cost more, only that there would be a ton more repairs. I think Hondas and Toyotas have far fewer repairs. I've had a Suburban, my brother has a Cherokee, and my father had a Cherokee. Those three cars were always needing something to be done. I had my Suburban maintained like clockwork and dh neglected his Toyotas regularly. His Toyotas lasted FOREVER. I hope my Honda will do the same.

Oh, I so agree. We bought a 3 yo used Volvo in the 1990's and it was hands down the worst car I have ever owned, particularly with repairs. EVERYTHING went wrong on this lemon! I once drove 6 hours with the driver's side seat completely laying down on the back seat; the electric seat adjuster went out and I could not move that thing at all. Of course repairing the d*&m thing cost us $300. Argh! I still hate that car!!

Oh, I so agree. We bought a 3 yo used Volvo in the 1990's and it was hands down the worst car I have ever owned, particularly with repairs. EVERYTHING went wrong on this lemon! I once drove 6 hours with the driver's side seat completely laying down on the back seat; the electric seat adjuster went out and I could not move that thing at all. Of course repairing the d*&m thing cost us $300. Argh! I still hate that car!!

Okay, so no Volvo for me! :lol:

Tiny cars are out. (Does anyone remember the lady who was killed when her Yugo flew off the Mackinaw bridge?) There are places where a little heft to your vehicle could save your life. We won't be looking at anything smaller than midsize...

Dh thinks a small SUV (nothing smaller than a Jeep Cherokee) is about right. The roads are awful, there are trucks everywhere and it gets windy and snowy--sometimes rather suddenly.

My sister says her Jeep (2001 Cherokee which has never had any issues) is SUPER easy to park. That's a big perk right there. My son is a super attentive alert driver while on the highway. The rules of the road make perfect sense to him, but we're still working on parking lot etiquette. :tongue_smilie: