Menu

I wore out another dryer.

I would have thought the washing machine also.

There are five of us and our Maytag dryer is still going strong after 20+ years with only one repair, but I've been through two washers that have both needed multiple repairs. However, I only fully dry towels, most everything else gets 5 minutes of drying to get the wrinkles out and then gets hung up in the laundry room.

:D

Not funny, but notable. It only took 4 years this time. My poor LG.

Doing Laundry for eight,

Kat

Interesting, I hadn't thought about why it's the dryer not the washer. I hope it's doesn't mean the washer is coming close to kaputski ville too.

We got them at Best Buy in 2006 and dh did buy the extended warranty for parts and labor. The repair guy will be here tomorrow to hopefully resurrect it.

I just bought a new washer and it's capacity is much bigger than my old dryer's. I'm starting to worry about wearing out the dryer, and I'm only doing laundry for 6.

And I've been prodding dh to get me a clothes line for the sheets, towels, etc. I'd want it for everything (our a/c runs 10 months a year and the dryer doesn't help), but I barely have the patience to fold all the little t-shirts and shorts my dc go through. Just the thought of hanging all those things up wears me out.

Well, I just moved to CT a month ago to a house with oil heat. I have a 1 month old washer and dryer, Consumer Reports best buy, front load gas dryer for sale if anyone is interested. I can use the washer eventually but I need to sell the dryer since it runs on natural gas or propane and we don't have either. PM me if you want more info or know of someone who might benefit for a 1 month old, awesome dryer at half what I paid for it (seriously).

My bro-in-law was over Friday saying that they just went through washer # 5. I was feeling very grateful for my luck with my 22 year old washer (hand me down from mom-in-law)

Did a load the next day, and, well what do you think happened? Spin cycle no longer works:willy_nilly:

Really wish it had been the dryer instead, I can hang dry anything!:)

I think a repair man said to expect the washer to go out every 5 years and the dryer every 15.

That's what our repairman said. Our first washer and dryer lasted for 13 years, with repairs done periodically. They both just stopped forever at the same time, a year ago.

My mother's washer and dryer lasted for over 20 years. That was normal.

I wonder what happened. It increases the cost of living when appliances have such a short lifespan, compared to how long they used to last. They are a lot more expensive, too. I bought the cheapest set with good reviews I could find, and I shelled out $1,035 plus $415 for the warranties, because I couldn't risk the new appliances dying what I consider to be a premature death. I look at that as paying the repair costs up front.

Obviously, I didn't pay much, considering what the other offerings at Sears cost! But I got a noticeably smaller set, which means more loads, which in turn means shorter lifespan.

Edited by RoughCollie

They really don't make 'em like they used to, do they? About 1 1/2 years ago, my parents gave us theirs because they bought new front loaders; it was only about 3 years old. The one it replaced still worked well but had a squeaky belt and was taking a little longer to dry. It was also the one they put in the house when it was new (back in '79), so it was close to 30 years old! Well, the newish one is taking hours to dry and it's really ticking me off! We need another one because it's sucking way too much energy to dry a single load of laundry, but I'm afraid to spend a ton of money on something so surprisingly disposable as a new dryer, considering this one is only about 5 years old :glare:.

We killed a couple dryers in rapid succession at work (a vet hospital -- we do tons and tons of hairy laundry). . . and we realized after the 2nd one that a couple years ago some plumbers had moved the dryer and squashed the exhaust vent pipe, so it was compressed & not moving enough air & getting full of lint. (Huge fire hazard, of course!)

These kinds of things are less likely to happen when you are doing your own laundry instead of delegating it to entry level staff. . . (you'd notice the increased dry times, etc.). . . but, it did make me realize that you need to double/triple check your exhaust pipes to make sure they aren't kinked, clogged, too long, etc. if you run into dryer problems. . .

We killed a couple dryers in rapid succession at work (a vet hospital -- we do tons and tons of hairy laundry). . . and we realized after the 2nd one that a couple years ago some plumbers had moved the dryer and squashed the exhaust vent pipe, so it was compressed & not moving enough air & getting full of lint. (Huge fire hazard, of course!)

These kinds of things are less likely to happen when you are doing your own laundry instead of delegating it to entry level staff. . . (you'd notice the increased dry times, etc.). . . but, it did make me realize that you need to double/triple check your exhaust pipes to make sure they aren't kinked, clogged, too long, etc. if you run into dryer problems. . .

Oh, look at where your dryer vents on the outside, too. We were having longer dry times a while back, and the repairman got up on the roof, and checked the dryer vent. He said the lint had hardened up and clogged the vent. After a few minutes scraping it out, our dry time is back down to normal.

.. Our first washer and dryer lasted for 13 years, with repairs done periodically. They both just stopped forever at the same time, a year ago..

Hush!! My w/d set are 11 years old. :Angel_anim: (<--We don't have praying hands smilie, so that's the best I got!) I can't afford to buy a new set.

Honestly, I've had better luck getting older dryers! I picked up the one I have currently for $20 at a garage sale. I was thinking it would last at least 6 months and we could afford new by then. It's lasted several years and it's been about the best I've had. I'm wearing this one out before it goes. It's a hotpoint if that makes a difference. You could check a used place or craigslist.