Menu

Good morning! FYI, I'm coming over in half an hour!

I'd take a shower, because if I didn't get one before your visit I probably wouldn't get one all day, because during your visit someone else will pop in, and then various kids will show up, and then I'll have to feed everyone, and that will pretty much go on all day long. I can handle anything if I've had a shower.

I'd figure out how to rearrange my day to fit in your visit, so that you didn't feel you were inconveniencing me by showing up.

I'd think about what I could cook for you while you're here.

I'd make sure there was no underwear in the living room, where I often fold my laundry.

As for the rest, you'll have to take us how you find us, as do all my visitors (except my MIL, of course!). We won't be pristine, but we will welcome you and feed you and help your kids have a good time while they are here. While you're here, I'll wash my dishes and do some cooking while we chat.

Well, thankfully, I already had company come in on Friday evening, so my house was relatively clean. I did not, however, get a chance to dust on the first floor, or clean any glass, so I would run round doing that before you got here. I'd also clean out the kitchen sink, which is rather grungy. Now, if you asked me this last Thursday, I would have probably screamed (or told you I wouldn't be home; or pretended I wasn't home when you got here, LOL.....)

I'd have the kids pick up the toys they are playing with. If my Lab was blowing her coat (like she is now), I'd do a quick vacuum.

That's about it. 99% of the time, my house is clean enough that I could do with a 5-minute warning before you show up to my house. The other 1%, I expect people to be able to overlook. :D

I think I have the advantage that you wouldn't be coming over in half an hour. Coming from another continent, I daresay you'd give me a full 24 hours notice because it's a really long way to come to find that I'm not home. So, last night I'd have washed the dishes and vacuumed the lounge room floor. This morning I'd have done a quick check to make sure there are no piddly knickers left in random spots by my toilet training daughter, then had a shower and got dressed because you've probably wanted me to pick you up from the airport.

:)

Rosie

I love it, Rosie!:lol:

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I'm going to drop off something I promised to give you (or something like that), and it would be terribly rude of you not to invite me in, wouldn't it? :D

OK, I'm being brutally honest here but if you are an acquaintance, it would be a tad impolite to give such short notice and expect to be invited in. So, I would probably open the door, give a little chit-chat and say, "Thank you so much for running this by. Have a great day! I will see you at (fill in the blank)!"

On the other hand, if you are a friend...

Would you be able to just sit back and kick up your feet because either A) your house is very neat or B) your house isn't very neat but you couldn't care less?

...the answer is definitely B (with an allowance made for a bit of attention paid to the guest/children's bath, of course! :tongue_smilie:).

Someone I know used to say, "If you're coming to see me, drop by any time. If you're coming to see my house, make an appointment." ;) That is me in a nutshell.

Well, if you are just a delivery person who I have no more social interest in than say, the mailman, I may not even open the door if we are in the middle of a school lesson or something else and let you leave the item on the front porch.

If I actually have met you before I may invite you in for a minute , just inside the door ( so I am only going to straighten up the front room) take the item and let you know I've got to get back to school.

If I want to visit with you and I want to have more time to clean up first I may say something like come over later today or tomorrow and we'll visit for awhile.

I'm going to drop off something I promised to give you (or something like that), and it would be terribly rude of you not to invite me in, wouldn't it? :D

So!

What would you spend the next 30 minutes until I get there doing? Would you be able to just sit back and kick up your feet because either A) your house is very neat or B) your house isn't very neat but you couldn't care less?

Would you be thoroughly embarrassed because there's no possible way you can get your house presentable in 30 minutes and you're just going to have to keep me standing on your door step, rude or not? (But what if I really have to pee?! Are you going to send me to the corner gas station after I came all that way?!)

Or do you have a specific short list of things you think you can run around like a lunatic doing (perhaps if the kids pitch in and help!) and things would at least be tidy enough that you wouldn't be embarrassed when I come in?

What, specifically, would you spend that time doing?

Feel free to play along. Obviously I'm NOT really coming to your house LOL.

----

I would first let out a sigh of relief that I'd cleaned my kitchen last night and that the downstairs bathroom is reasonably clean, too.

I would then start issuing orders to the kids and having them help me:

1) Put away the clean, folded laundry that has been sitting on the love seat in the computer room for about three days now.

2) Clean the toys off of the living room floor.

3) Vacuum the living room floor (and the steps).

4) Dust and clean the glass (oh man there are SO many fingerprints all over the mirror right now!) in the living room.

5) Sweep the floor in the computer room.

6) Gulp down a quick breakfast.

7) Take a quick shower.

I could easily get it done in half an hour, I think, especially with the kids' help, and I'd be perfectly fine with letting you in my house... as long as you didn't have any strange desire to go upstairs.

The upstairs hallways and stairs could really need a vacuuming, and none of the bedrooms are particularly neat at the moment. (They end up being SO low on my priority list, and if you read my "How many days a week are you committed to being out of the house" thread yesterday, perhaps you'd know why!!!)

And the upstairs bathroom could use a cleaning! (I am not sure if I could get to that within the 30 minute time period, especially if I'm taking a shower, but there's no reason you can't just use the downstairs bathroom if you've gotta go)! :P

Next?

This actually happens here at my house quite a lot. Sooo much so, you would THINK I would be more on top of the mess....I'm not...:glare:

I am in charge of a ton of stuff for Girl Scouts.... So I have random moms stop by random times of the day dropping off/picking up paperwork/cookies.....

I would have to tell the 7 year old to put clothes on (she's a naked child), and tell the 10 year old to put clothes on (she's an underwear child)..... I would makse sure the teeth are brushed. mine, of course would be.

If I needed to invite you, some stranger, into my house for some reason, usually to get more girl scout paperwork, you would be AMAZED at my organizational skills and ability to find the one piece or paper YOU needed but neglected to tell me on the phone......And hopefully overlook the GIANT dust bunny that rolled out from under the couch.....

robin in NJ

I feel that everything can be forgiven except a disgusting toilet. So cleaning the toilet and the floor around it is high on my daily priorities, and would be my first task if I hadn't done it already. Then I would check the bathroom (we have separate bathroom and WC) and do a very quick clean of the basin, toss any dirty towels or cloths into the laundry room, and put out clean hand towels. All of that I can do in about 5 minutes if I have to.

Next is the kitchen - as our place is all open plan, they can't come in and sit down without seeing the kitchen. If there's just the usual amount of washing up I would do it, but if it's been piling up for some reason, I'll stack it all next to the sink and wipe all the surfaces so the food prep area looks spotless. 5 minutes for that, and another five minutes to sweep and wipe and tidy the dining area adjacent.

Next up, 5 minutes to tidy myself up - quick shower if I haven't yet had one, put on clothes, etc. If I've already done the basics, I might brush my hair etc.

The last 10 minutes would be general picking up clutter, putting clean laundry away, etc. so that there is space for visitors to sit comfortably, and of course last I would put the kettle on ready for hot drinks.

Edited by Hotdrink