Menu

What would happen if the government didn't have the money to....

"I, who had babies while married, could not afford the type of health care given to unwed teens. I had my babies at a birthing center, and dared not ask for anesthesia, because I only had enough money to pay for the basic package. I refused suggested ultrasound because I didn't have the money."

:grouphug: That must have been horribly traumatic for you.

I am not trying to be snarky but which part would be traumatic? The birthing center, the drug free birth or the ultrasound? Why? Why would any of these things be traumatic? This sounds like a normal birth to me. The only part that I can even imagine being traumatic is if a person was in too much pain and needed pain relief but the OP did not state that was the case.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno.

We do really need to reign in spending as far as the government goes. I am not a huge lover of social programs. I do realize there is a need to care for those that cannot take care of themselves-children, elderly, handicapped-but I'm not sure it is the job of the government...I was raised as a work for what you get person. (Dad died when I was 3-Mom worked 2-3 jobs to keep us off of welfare that she could have easily gotten) I think there is a big difference between can't do and won't do what it takes to take care of yourself. I am a can do person I guess. I know a lot of people that say they can't do-and really are not willing to do-these are family members I know well and have had just such conversations with. I believe near anyone can do some kind of work and should be required to do so in return for public assistance. My street needs the trash picked up for example and city properties need mowed regularly...Before you all get riled up-I am not too good for manual labor-I grew up on a farm-and Dh and I purchased a farmette a year ago-I have done manual labor in spades and have been covered in manure to boot. I also think folks should have to pee in a cup before getting $$. I'm not for funding anyone's habit either with my tax dollars. Now, I may donate to my church for programs helping addicts/alcoholics to get clean though-I'm more of a hand-up kind of person.

As for my immediate family-we live on a farm. Both DH and I have ag degrees and understand both livestock and crop production. I know how to grow and preserve food. We have been planing permanent crops since we bought 22 acres of the farm last year (so far asparagus, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries there were already grapes, apple and peach trees on the property. We have a small flock of chickens, a horse and 2 sheep) My in-laws live across the street and farm the ground all around ours-and rent ours too as well as owning 3 chicken houses-broilers. We would not likely starve and I imagine every family member from here to Timbuktu would show up-and be put to work if they ever wanted to eat.

I expect the towns and cities to get ugly if this would happen-and it would spill over into the country too. Fighting-stealing-murder...the whole 9 yards. I would protect what we had in order to safeguard the future of my family with whatever means necessary. Lord knows I hope it would never come to this.

Here's a nod to you RemudaMom...We'll be livin life on the farm too.

BTW-just because someone thinks people should be responsible for their own actions, care and posessions, does not mean they are hateful people that don't care about others. Maybe it's just me, but I kind of get the feeling that if you aren't for handing out $$$ to people then you are labeled a hater. I am no such thing.

Edited by weaver_67579

Wow. This thread is huge, and I am not able to read it all right now. I did want to clarify that I don't think a birth center birth is traumatic - I had a great one! Not asking for pain medication in labor even though you want it because you are worried about the cost? Traumatic. Torture, in fact.

Obviously, feelings run high on this issue, but my personal take on it as that my right to life is more important that my property rights, and my NEIGHBOR'S right to life is ALSO more important that my property rights. Our health care system is in such dire straits that I believe the right to life is being grossly abrogated, and I cast my vote in favor of universal health care as often as I can.

Health care may be a human right, but I tend to think in terms of the social contract I'm actually a part of (the American citizenry), rather than my generalized sense of compassion for all of my fellow beings. I try to speak for the group in which my voice means something. Everybody else in the world, including the undocumented residents who grow and harvest the majority of the food my family eats, are for better or worse outside my sphere of undisputed political influence. But as an American and the mother of three little Americans, I have a very clear vision of what "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" should be construed to mean in the 21st century. Part of what it means is "not being abandoned by your fellow citizens to suffer and die from a curable ailment."

I'm glad you're having fun. I admit it's pretty amusing, watching so many people get their knickers in a twist.

But then I have a hard time laughing at the expense of others; I'm kind of a sympathetic person I guess.

It must be hard living with so much anger and paranoia in such an imperfect world.

astrid

Edited by astrid

Delete away. Ban away. The government is still stealing money out of our pockets. Deny it all you want. Feel superior all you want. Tell yourself you're better because you support the poor. And quit being such a hypocrite. You have snarked with the best of them. See your latest post but one. I guess snarky's only allowed when you feel like it?

????

I don't feel superior. Yes, I support my fellow Americans, rich or poor. I don't ask to see a W2 form before I help out a neighbor, or send clothes or canned goods in to a shelter or volunteer in a soup kitchen. Those people are humans, and there but for the grace of God go all of us.

You farm in the midwest, don't you? My grandparents farmed in Jewel County, Kansas during the Dust Bowl. They were **** poor. Yes, they worked hard, but some around them didn't. When vagrants and poor families came down the dirt road to my granddad's farm, he didn't run them off with a shotgun, hoarding all he had for himself and my father and uncles. He shared what was on the table. I'm really proud of that heritage. It bothers me that the same charitable spirit doesn't seem to be alive today. Because THAT is what will erode the fabric of this nation.

I'm sorry you're so angry.

astrid

Good thing you're such a sympathetic person. Maybe you can save the world.

Hey, thanks! I'm workin' on it--;) teaching adult education classes, helping those poor folk get a high school diploma so they can increase their earning power. The pay's not great but it keeps groceries in my cupboard, a roof over our heads and shoes on our feet.

astrid

Great. So nice to know that you can take care of yourself. Apparently you won't be one of the looters we heartless old farmers are going to have to defend ourselves against.

LOL-- I live in New England--- you ain't seen heartless old farmers until you've spent time with our kind of crusty old farmers. See, it's easy to farm in the midwest where you have to walk a mile just to find one pea-sized rock. Try farming the rocky Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island or Connecticut soil. That will make you heartless.

No worries--- I won't come begging at your door. But then I've only got one mouth to feed, so I'd expect some of those quiver folk might have a tougher time of it.

Actually, we aren't farmers. And if being such would make us heartless I imagine we'd be looking for other work.

oookay, so my poor attempt at a lighter mood went over like a lead balloon. Whatever.

New England farmers have a reputation for being ornery. Puritanical stoicism and all that. And yes, here they are farmers. There, you're ranchers. Not enough pastureland here for that.

astrid

New England farmers have a reputation for being ornery. Puritanical stoicism and all that. And yes, here they are farmers. There, you're ranchers. Not enough pastureland here for that.

astrid

LOL True enough! Yet I can't think of anything I enjoy more than passing the time with New England farmers. I had a two hour canning chat today. "You don't need a pressha cannah...a hot bathh will do it. Here, you can borrow my Ball handbook". etc They are an absolute font of information.

Edited by LibraryLover

LOL True enough! Yet I can't think of anything I enjoy more than passing the time with New England farmers. I had a two hour canning chat today. "You don't need a pressha cannah...a hot bahthh will do it". They are an absolute font of information.

Ayuh, they are the best, aren't they?

I can't imagine living anywhere else but New England. The leaves are starting to turn and it just makes me so glad I live here!

astrid