Menu

Non-Dangerous Non-Stick

The protein thread renewed my annoyance with an old problem. We've completely eschewed non-stick here for years. I just haven't felt confident that we have a non-stick option that isn't going to wind up being dangerous. I have no desire to go through what I went through with my &*%#@* lead-glazed slow cooker. Nobody wants to find out they've been endangering their kids.

Stainless steel skillets don't get egg stuck on them too badly if you thinly coat the pan with butter *just before* you put the egg in there, and scrub it immediately afterward. My nine-year-old is perfectly capable of cooking an egg, but is not as neat handed about it as an adult, so the cleanup takes forever and is excruciating.

Is there a non-stick pan the use of which isn't going to come back to haunt us later?

Even with eggs? IME, the porous nature of a cast iron skillet has presented problems.

Especially with eggs! A well seasoned cast iron pan is not porous at all, it has a kind of baked on glaze and it is extremely non stick. When I drop an egg in my pan, the egg slides around and I give the pan a little flip to turn the egg and I don't even have to dirty a spatula! :D

Especially with eggs! A well seasoned cast iron pan is not porous at all, it has a kind of baked on glaze and it is extremely non stick. When I drop an egg in my pan, the egg slides around and I give the pan a little flip to turn the egg and I don't even have to dirty a spatula! :D

:iagree: Yep. You just have to get it well-seasoned. Nothing sticks.

:iagree: I LOVE when J is on an "egg kick"-hardly any dishes for us to wash!

If you want to sink in the bucks, get a Le Creuset enamel-covered cast iron. With a 5 minute or less soak, I've never had a problem releasing cooked-on food. It isn't "non-stick" per se (an omelette won't just "slide out") but it's my favorite pan. I use it at least 5 times a week.

I have this one; you might be able to find a better price somewhere else.

What kind of cook top do you have? I had a ceramic/flat top in my former home and had no problems. You just can't drag it across the top (you shouldn't do that anyway).

Ceramic glass top. Already tried cast iron and scratched it by gently placing it on the burner.:confused:

I have two green pans - which claim to be safe. The manufacturer tells you what's not in them but not what is in them. So I don't know for sure that they aren't replacing bad stuff with more bad stuff.

The pans were given to me - and I'll get rid of them once and if the surface becomes compromised. I did not buy themselves in order to avoid teflon.

We have zero non-stick cookware in our house as well.

Before my Wolfgang Puck 15" electric skillet died, (sniff, sniff...much mourning here), I had great success using coconut oil, olive oil, or good old fashioned butter. There was always a little "sticking" but not too bad and as for clean up, as soon as the food was out of the pan, I'd put water and baking soda in there to boil for a minute or two. That worked like a charm....no scrubbing.

The Wolfgang Puck isn't made anymore and I am at a loss because I was very dependent on that skillet. I did all of my tacos, barbecue chicken, pancakes, eggs, bacon, you name it in that pan. I have a Le Creuset roasting pan (purchased for me by my rather generous mil) and the hard ceramic surface does clean up well if it is soaked for a little bit. So, I am saving money for the Cuisinart Green Electric Skillet (15") which has a hard baked ceramic surface over stainless steel in the hopes that it will clean up pretty readily. It's an ouchy $145.00 at Amazon so I've got to save my pennies. I'd use cast iron but it's hard to get the other family members to understand the value of the seasoning and to not wash it out (the boys in particular are now helping with dishes and cooking and just cannot seem to get a clue about cast iron) and P nearly dropped one on his toe which would have most certainly broke his toe if not crushed it. Plus, the electric skillet is a very safe way for the boys to cook.

Faith

I some Calphalon pans that I like. I also have some by Todd English (I think they are the same thing as Green Pan). They are very good!

The Calphalon are the pre-1998 ones (when the company was bought out) made of anodized aluminum. I wish I had bought a large skillet then, but I just have an 8" and 10" one. They are excellent. On a rare occassion I see them at auctions. I haven't tried any of the newer line of Calphalon, but I understand that they changed the process a bit, so I can't speak to those.

Edited by Audrey

Cast-iron skillet for everything. I wash the outside w/a little soap, use a separate scrubby (no soap) for the inside, wipe dry, throw a little olive-oil in it, heat it up, and lastly wipe it out. Sounds like work, but, seriously I'm done in 3-5 min. depending on the size. Nothing ever sticks, and I love them. My larger ones are a bit heavy, but, I wouldn't go back to nonstick, teflon, whatever.

Forevergrace:D