Menu

What would you do? Re: Teen daughter and new job

So, my teen daughter who has been homeschooled since third grade decided last year she did not want to go to college. She has had some trouble with Math (to the point of where it has hurt her self esteem in a lot of ways throughout the years). She tried getting into the dual enrollment program at the college for this year, but couldn't pass the math portion of the test (her score was extremely low). She probably (most likely) has a math disability, but I am not going to hurt the self esteem anymore and, at this point, it probably doesn't matter why she just doesn't "get" math.

Anyway, she has decided that she wants to work with children. She was a junior last year, but has plenty of credits (actually, more then enough) in everything except Math. She just finished up a second year of Algebra 1. She told me she just wants to work and only wants to do "real life math" this Fall. I am okay with that so this was our plan. She busted her butt to find job and she really lucked out finding a job only one mile from our house at a government funded daycare. She has been working almost full-time hours and has been exhausted (sometimes going to work at 6:30 a.m.).

So...heres the "thing". She found out after being at this job for 4 days at they only get paid ONCE A MONTH! She started working on July 22nd and hasn't seen one penny yet! Her boss has changed the pay period verbally twice already (until today). She is supposed to get paid tomorrow and her boss changed the pay period AGAIN! :banghead:

My DD has asked several times if she should turn her hours in to get signed on and the response is, "Just keep track of your hours and turn them into me before pay day". My DD has done just this. She turned her hours in last Friday. Her boss spoke to her today and told her she had her pay period wrong (again)! Excuse me?? Really???

So now, she isn't going to be getting paid for the whole month she has worked. It sounds as though her boss is going to be withholding pay now! My daughter is so confused (as am I)! I am going to try not to lose sleep over this, but I am just so aggravated! I guess all I can do is try to wait and see what happens tomorrow.

The thing that aggravates me most is my daughter is trying to do something with her life and work towards her goals. I am so proud of her! It makes me mad that this woman is taking advantage of my daughter because she is a teenager! I am in a bad spot because I am unsure if I should get involved or not. Yes, I am her parent, but this is HER job...not mine. This is her first adult opportunity and she is being taken advantage of. She wants to work until August 20th and "see what happens....". I, as her mom, would like to instruct her not to work another 20 days to not get paid!

What would you do? Would you get involved if she doesn't get the pay that should be coming to her or let her handle the situation since it is her job? :confused:

Could she perhaps check with a coworker and find out if this is a pattern at this place? Do people eventually get paid but is it erratic? Is payday a flexible date every month?

This would be a red flag for me. Since they are government-funded, I'd think they have a few rules by which to abide.

I don't know if you mentioned how old your dd is, but I would stay out of it as long as possible; if she is 18, I would not get involved at all. BUT, this does not mean that you cannot advise her and do some checking behind the scenes.

I would intervene. If you don't, she will not get paid and the daycare manager will get away with it. This manager is STEALING from the government and your dd. I would also report the manager to what ever agency doles out the money, because you can bet that this person is cheating in other areas and not serving the children in charge well.

Could she perhaps check with a coworker and find out if this is a pattern at this place? Do people eventually get paid but is it erratic? Is payday a flexible date every month?

This would be a red flag for me. Since they are government-funded, I'd think they have a few rules by which to abide.

I don't know if you mentioned how old your dd is, but I would stay out of it as long as possible; if she is 18, I would not get involved at all. BUT, this does not mean that you cannot advise her and do some checking behind the scenes.

My DD is 17. The girls that she works with have gotten paid, but usually "late". One girl a few weeks ago got paid a week late. They all have a choice as to whether they want to get paid in cash or check! I told my daughter she needed to fill out the proper paperwork and get paid in a check. I did just find out that supposedly now her employer is withholding two weeks pay, but pays once a month. I have never heard of this in all the years I have worked! She started on 7/22. She will get paid tomorrow (supposedly) for 7/22-8/4. Then she gets paid again on 9/20 for 9/3! So, I am assuming that her boss will be holding back those two weeks pay. I am so confused!

:iagree:

Liz summed it up nicely... stress to your DD that she can't talk to co workers about their salaries, but she can talk freely about a pay schedule.

Yes, I would get involved. And, if I didn't get some satisfactory answers to all my questions, I would work my way up the food chain until I did. Least of which would be the Labor Board.

Something is wrong. Your daughter is young and her boss should make sure, as a courtesy and as a show of some professionalism, that she has all her paperwork turned in properly to be paid on time.

Is this daycare in someone's home? If it is this is what I would do. I would go have a talk with her boss. I would just explain that your dd is very confused about exactly when she is going to get paid and could boss please write the pay period policy down for you and sign it. If boss only tells you verbally then write it down and ask boss to sign it. If boss won't sign then tell her your dd won't be coming back to work and (if you are willing to do this) she will be hearing from your lawyer.

I had the misfortune of knowing a government supplemented daycare owner who went through 4 employees (not paying them for months)before someone took her to court. She accumulated 9 months of free labor before it came to an end.

I hope this is not the case with your dd but I would not let your dd work any longer unless I got this straightened out.

Your dd needs to start a paper trail. A professional letter asking for the pay schedule to be explained in writing. If payday is the first Wednesday after the second Tuesday in which the full moon occurs, then that is payday. There should not be any late pay, and there should not be any excuse.

Late pay and excuses are a sign of bad management. Either someone is pocketing the money or there is no money. In either case it is a pretty good sign that the business is about to go under. Your dd should start looking else where.

Start making a paper trail. You dd needs to write a letter as a pp suggested. If she gets a verbal in person or phone response, she needs to write another letter restating everything boss said.

I would also suggest she start looking for a new job. Our public schools have on site child care after school. Instead of "gov't funded" those are actually gov't run and she would have less shenanigans over pay if she could land such a job.