Menu

Best trick to removing cat urine smell from carpet

I suspect my cat has a UTI, so we are going to the vet tomorrow. Today is the first day I've actually caught her urinating outside of the litterbox; however, I've been trying to clean the urine from the playroom carpet for 3 days. Since we have 2 cats, I wasn't sure which one was peeing there until today.

What have you found to be the best thing to eliminate urine smell from carpeting aside from replacing the carpet?

Remove carpet. Discard carpet. Remove pad underneath. Discard pad. Paint some sort of silver paint over soiled area (they will know at a paint store). Replace pad and carpet.

This is why we don't have indoor cats. :glare: You just can't get that smell out. I've been to people's houses who swear that they got the smell out.

They did not.

Remove carpet. Discard carpet. Remove pad underneath. Discard pad. Paint some sort of silver paint over soiled area (they will know at a paint store). Replace pad and carpet.

This is why we don't have indoor cats. :glare: You just can't get that smell out. I've been to people's houses who swear that they got the smell out.

They did not.

I agree. The best you can do if you are not willing to do this is try an enzyme cleaner and then follow up with a regular shampoo/steam cleaning.

They did not.

:iagree: Even if you get the smell out of the carpet, it's in the pad and the flooring underneath.

They did not.

:iagree:

I just realized my cat peed on our love seat. It's at the dump and the cat is now an outdoor cat (he was already an in-outdoor cat, so no biggy.) UGH!

http://petastic.com/efcstain.html

This is what you need to understand about enzyme cleaners:

they need time to work. It's not a 'wipe on, wipe off' thing. Saturate with the cleaner, cover with plastic or with a damp towel & give it time for the enzymes to break the stain down. You may need to do repeat applications.

Black light will help you find the areas which need treating. (& you've probably always wanted a black light, right? It's a homeschool supply, really. Think of the science stuff you'll be able to do with it.....).

I disagree that it's impossible to get the smell out. It's not. Be persistent, & use the black light to track down where it's coming from.

Hope your kitty is feeling better soon. UTI's are not fun for anyone.

Once she's better, consider changing to a wet food as dry food is implicated in increased dehydration & uti. Have a look at vet Dr. Lisa Pierson's site

http://catinfo.org/ for info about why a dry diet is not so good.....

I have a book "Haley's Cleaning Hints" that has saved my carpets several times.

Now first a disclaimer....our pet accident involved our dog. I know it's different from a cat but the recipe is titled:

Pet Accident Recipe

1 cup of hydrogen peroxide to 1 tbsp of baking soda. Add 1tsp of dish soap and stir well. Apply the solution to the area with a sponge. Let it dry and vacuum. Because of it's volatility it loses it's effectiveness within a short time.

I was nervous about using this on my dark green carpet because of the peroxide. I thought it might bleach it out. So I would suggest testing it someplace inconspicuous. It worked find on 2 different types of carpet in my house without bleaching it out.

I finally went ahead and used it because after repeated cleaning and shampooing it still smelled horrible and my mind set was "the carpet is ruined anyway".

Good luck.