Menu

Just face it: science is a PITA ;)

Halcyon

Don't get me wrong-we LOVE science in this house. And the boys LOVE experiments (of course). But I have spent the last 3 hours organizing ziplock baggies of experiments, putting in materials, writing lists of what we need (red cabbage! cola! lemonade powder! paperclips WITHOUT the plastic coating!dirty pennies! tall glass jars! 9v batteries!) And we HAVE the young explorer kit, so half the work is already done for us!

No wonder we didn't do as many experiments as we'd planned last year! This year, I'm trying to do it in advance, and I. AM. TIRED.

There. Rant over. :tongue_smilie:

Don't get me wrong-we LOVE science in this house. And the boys LOVE experiments (of course). But I have spent the last 3 hours organizing ziplock baggies of experiments, putting in materials, writing lists of what we need (red cabbage! cola! lemonade powder! paperclips WITHOUT the plastic coating!dirty pennies! tall glass jars! 9v batteries!) And we HAVE the young explorer kit, so half the work is already done for us!

No wonder we didn't do as many experiments as we'd planned last year! This year, I'm trying to do it in advance, and I. AM. TIRED.

There. Rant over. :tongue_smilie:

This is why I had my son take a science class the last two years. I didn't want to deal with all of that. Lord help me I'm doing science this year. So far our project list hasn't been too bad, but we are still on unit one. :glare:

:)

There is a reason that I'm a BIG fan of nature studies. I also love physics as my favorite elementary science (those kits are typically easy to implement). Let's all say "delight-driven, hands-on science" it means I put all the peices of failed science kits into a 18 gallon tote with a couple of science experiment books and bring it out for a week every semester.

There is a reason that I'm a BIG fan of nature studies. I also love physics as my favorite elementary science (those kits are typically easy to implement). Let's all say "delight-driven, hands-on science" it means I put all the peices of failed science kits into a 18 gallon tote with a couple of science experiment books and bring it out for a week every semester.

:smilielol5:You are brilliant!

Let's all say "delight-driven, hands-on science" it means I put all the peices of failed science kits into a 18 gallon tote with a couple of science experiment books and bring it out for a week every semester.

:lol:I'm going to have to remember this. Foolish me--who has two science programs and a record of not even doing one! But I'm filing this year, so it will get done.

Genius woman! Genius!! I even failed on doing the simple experiment/demonstrations like"coat one feather with oil, leave one along" type of thing last year. I just recently decided to add a "junk" box to our kitchen and the kiddos are delighted to build ramps, etc. out of the stuff. So I think science-ish learning is happening there. :001_smile:

I hear ya! Sadly, science wouldn't get done at our house if it weren't for pre-assembled lab kits. :blush: At least you're organized enough to do it in advance.

Oh, last year was a joke, though! I couldn't even get my act together enough to have baking soda in the house...and we spent 30 minutes trying to find a nail once! :D So this year I thought, goshdarnit, I'm getting my act together!

I was all enthusiastic about it too, until hour 4 hit. Now I'm bored. :tongue_smilie:

Which is why I started to buy Science in a Nutshell kits. everything you need is in them. It even comes in a nice storage bin.

See, Young Explorer Kits DO have 'almost' everything. Still need to provide "standard household items' (HAHA!) like baking soda, vinegar, nail, paperclip, cotton, cardboard, playdough, cornstarch, tall glass bottles with small necks (???? Does anyone get milk delivered anymore?)

And somehow, it seems that the "fizzy candy" and the 'colored m&ms' which came with the kits have mysteriously disappeared......:lol: what IS fizzy candy, anyway?

You have inspired me. I so need to get everything together and laid out. My son loves science and last year for us was like yours, not too great.:glare: I need to get in gear and get my act together and get it done now.

Thanks for the kick!:D

Oh and these Young explorers kits can you link to them please?:)

You have inspired me. I so need to get everything together and laid out. My son loves science and last year for us was like yours, not too great.:glare: I need to get in gear and get my act together and get it done now.

Thanks for the kick!:D

Oh and these Young explorers kits can you link to them please?:)

Here's the Young Scientist Club stuff: (it's not Explorer-don't know where I got that from LOL

http://www.theyoungscientistsclub.com/programs.html

This thread motivated me so I just ordered Thames and Kosmos' Physics Pro set. Has anyone incorporated something like this into their science? I'm wondering if we should just do one experiment/day??

This thread motivated me so I just ordered Thames and Kosmos' Physics Pro set. Has anyone incorporated something like this into their science? I'm wondering if we should just do one experiment/day??

Do you have a link?

Here's what I am doing: my youngest is doing BFSU, and I'm sure my eldest will tag along. So i am linking up experiments to do for each part of the book, based on what we have, and also experiments I'm finding online--BFSU definitely has some too, so I need to get those organized into kits. Then, when we hit that lesson, my kits are already organized.

For my elder, who is doing The Elements, I have organized each chapter seperately, organized each game, and am finding chemistry experiments for him to do. They won't go along wiith the book--the book is highly conceptual--but he won't care.

I have a Science Bin that has all my general science stuff in it: magnifying glasses, geology rocks, pipettes, test tubes etc. And then each KIT is filed in a large ziplock bag with a name written on the front in a sharpie (like "WEIGHT AND VOLUME" or "ACIDS AND BASES").

Good luck!! I haven't tried that kit!

The only thing we need with the Delta kit was water. Seriously, they include paper clips, straws...we got out the one we are starting soon. It includes little packets of mayo, lemon juice, etc. When I say it's all in there, it really is.

I'm the person who ends up spending all day looking for a nail. Or adding $10 bucks worth of stuff to every shopping trip, so I'll have the basics for Science. When we got these last year, my Science kid was so excited. The first thing he said was we don't have to wait for you to find anything. We don't have to skip anything either.

, tall glass bottles with small necks (???? Does anyone get milk delivered anymore?)

This reminded me...last year we need tall glass bottles with small necks. I was clueless so my husband went to the store and brought home a 6-pack of A&W Rootbeer. The bottles worked perfectly for the experiment.

Hmmm, I'm trying to make a list of everything I need for our first week of science. I hate the gathering all the supplies too but kits seem so expensive. I think I'll take another look at a few suppliers of kits and see if I can spare myself the agony.;)

Dd is doing BJU online. She did a lot of experiments with Rainbow last year, and she didn't really care for them or see the need for them because she understood it before the experiment.

By doing it online, she gets to watch the experiment without having to actually do it. She will have to do some of them in high school, though.

The only thing we need with the Delta kit was water. Seriously, they include paper clips, straws...we got out the one we are starting soon. It includes little packets of mayo, lemon juice, etc. When I say it's all in there, it really is.

I'm the person who ends up spending all day looking for a nail. Or adding $10 bucks worth of stuff to every shopping trip, so I'll have the basics for Science. When we got these last year, my Science kid was so excited. The first thing he said was we don't have to wait for you to find anything. We don't have to skip anything either.

can you link to these?

:lol:

Have you ever had to go buy a gallon of milk and have everyone drink as much as they could, as fast as they could, just so you could have the empty milk jug? I have! :lol: We usually drink organic milk, which only comes in half-gallon cartons in our area, so I didn't have any jugs on hand or in the recycling bin. I think I ended up making rice pudding with the rest just so I wouldn't have to pour it down the drain.

This is one thing I haven't started doing with the filing system (filing baggies full of what we'll need for each week) but I definitely should. I did go and buy a few week's worth of "common" and not-so-common household items today for the experiments and history projects we'll be doing over the next few weeks. Paper plates are not a common item in my house. Neither are wax-coated bathroom cups, petroleum jelly, or aluminum foil. We seem to accumulate plenty of strange items, though. I guess that just goes to show that we are not a common kind of household! :tongue_smilie: