Menu

Astronomy that is not YEC? What do you like?

simka2

We are finishing up a Apologia Zoology and I thought we would move onto their Astronomy, but I'm not real happy with the curriculum itself.

So, any ideas for 3rd/4th grade level Astronomy...that is not young earth based. I don't mind Christian...in fact I would be really interested in a science curriculum that was deist evolutionist!!!

Edited by simka2

Have you seen SWB/JW's WTM astronomy choices? Apologia wasn't out when they wrote the 1st and second editions, so I know they don't recommend them in those volumes.

I'd tell ya, but I loaned mine out!:001_smile:

I loaned mine out too! :glare:

So, any ideas for 3rd/4th grade level Astronomy...that is young earth based. I don't mind Christian...in fact I would be really interested in a science curriculum that was deist evolutionist!!!

Do you mean is, or is not? You might want to clarify ...

Mr. Q's Earth Science covers astronomy topics in the 1st two units. You can download the 1st chapter for free. If you like it, you have the option of purchasing the individual units instead of the entire course. It wouldn't be an entire year's worth of material so you'd have to supplement.

Mr. Q's Earth Science

Disclamer: I haven't used any of his products. It's just something that I have bookmarked. We are using Apologia with some edits and added discussion. ;)

Edited by tennismomkelly

We're currently doing astronomy without a packaged curriculum; I'd just get some DK books and library books and an inexpensive telescope. I'd try to find a local astronomy club and go to some of their observing parties (we did this recently and it was awesome). Is there a planetarium near you? You can order a Galileoscope for $30, which will not only give you a good view of the moon, the website provides extensive activity guides for free download: one is on optical experiments (you can take the scopes apart and do experiments with the lenses) and the other is an observing guide.

The main topics you want to cover are:

History of Astronomy: the DK Astronomy book has a lot on this; read a biography of Galileo; build a Galieoscope, etc.

Types of Telescopes: Again, the DK Astronomy book has a lot on this topic. Taking apart the Galileoscope teaches a lot about refractor scopes, and visiting an astronomy club will let you see lots of different types.

Constellations and Asterisms: Any good sky guide will work, plus visit a planetarium or some astronomy club "star parties" to get an idea of where things are and how to locate them. A green laser pointer will let you point things out in your own back yard.

Solar System: Learn the names of the planets, relatives sizes and distance from the sun, length of a "day," length of a "year," composition/structure, "weather," etc. Learn about eclipses and the phases of the moon. Neil Degrasse Tyson's The Pluto Files (book & DVD) combines history and science in a really fun and engaging way, while explaining why Pluto is no longer considered a planet. The Universe series (available on DVD, also on Netflix) has some great documentaries, and there are lots of other documentaries on planets. If you get the Science Channel, they're currently showing a series called Wonders of the Solar System.

Stars: Learn the types of stars, lifecycle of stars, types of galaxies. DK Space Encyclopedia, Universe DVDs.

Space Exploration: The DK Space Encyclopedia has a large section on this, as does DK's Moon book. There are lots of documentaries to watch, as well as Apollo 13.

There are also tons of free worksheets, lapbook ideas, interactive websites, and things like that — an hour or so of googling will turn up an amazing number of resources!

Jackie

We are finishing up a Apologia Zoology and I thought we would move onto their Astronomy, but I'm not real happy with the curriculum itself.

So, any ideas for 3rd/4th grade level Astronomy...that is not young earth based. I don't mind Christian...in fact I would be really interested in a science curriculum that was deist evolutionist!!!

I was thinking about using Apologia Astronomy but now I'm not so sure.:glare:

What didn't you like about the curriculum?

My son loves astronomy so we dabble in it. We watch lots of documentary type shows on it - think Discovery, A%E, PBS, Nova, etc. Actually just fond a whole new set on Netflix that we are eager to watch. SOOOOO many really awesome programs out there.

We have some DK and Usborne books about space that are cool and great references. And some Magic School Bus books/vids about space too. And a star gazing book with pics of all the constellations...

I did download the trial of REAL Science Odyssey for Life science and for Earth/Space and am excited to try it out. haven't tried anything yet, but have heard great things about it and it looks really good after thumbing thru it. gotta love the free trial too!

This may be a stupid question but what does "young earth" mean? :confused:

I was thinking about using Apologia Astronomy but now I'm not so sure.:glare:

What didn't you like about the curriculum?

First off...I'm not sold on Young earth creationism, and I want my kids to be fluent in evolution, and/or intelligent design theory. Apologia is very YEC exclusive.

Even though I am a Christian, I really struggle with constent refrences to God and his creation/ plan. IT's not that it's bad, per se...but it almost seems to make it choppy. I really want the kids to be able to immerse themselves in the "science" of the subject...and then later step back and go "WOW! God really is amazing!" or "I'm not sure that all this could have happened in 6 literal days."

If they choose to see God's work in His creation...I want it to be because "they" see it. With Apologia it feels like the constant refrences are there to make sure the child doesn't stray to far in their scientific reasoning without "God" being right there. I realize I'm not phraseing this well, but suffice it to say I want them to discover the God factor, not have it constantly brought to their attention. Dare I say...it almost cheapens it?

Hope that helps!

Even though I am a Christian, I really struggle with constent refrences to God and his creation/ plan. IT's not that it's bad, per se...but it almost seems to make it choppy. I really want the kids to be able to immerse themselves in the "science" of the subject...and then later step back and go "WOW! God really is amazing!" or "I'm not sure that all this could have happened in 6 literal days."

If they choose to see God's work in His creation...I want it to be because "they" see it. With Apologia it feels like the constant refrences are there to make sure the child doesn't stray to far in their scientific reasoning without "God" being right there. I realize I'm not phraseing this well, but suffice it to say I want them to discover the God factor, not have it constantly brought to their attention. Dare I say...it almost cheapens it?

This is exactly how I feel. I took a chemistry class once where the professor mentioned God one time. It was something like, "Look at how amazing this is. And people think this happened just by chance <sarcasm>" His statement has always stuck with me. I think part of the reason I can still remember what he said is because it was so unusual. If he had been saying things like that every day (or every other sentence the way Apologia does), I would have rolled my eyes and learned to tune him out.

Oh, thank you for saying this! I completely agree and this is exactly why I can't see us using the series beyond Astronomy. "The heavens declare the glory of God"! I study the universe and am dazzled by a God so big. But I don't like shoving it down my children's throats and jamming the thoughts into their little heads. I want them to discover it on their own. Half the time it's seem more like a Sunday School study than science.

On the other hand, some families really like that and it's not something that is bad. It's just not what I'd prefer. My SIL is using this book right now with her children as well and they love it:)

Oh, thank you for saying this! I completely agree and this is exactly why I can't see us using the series beyond Astronomy. "The heavens declare the glory of God"! I study the universe and am dazzled by a God so big. But I don't like shoving it down my children's throats and jamming the thoughts into their little heads. I want them to discover it on their own. Half the time it's seem more like a Sunday School study than science.

On the other hand, some families really like that and it's not something that is bad. It's just not what I'd prefer. My SIL is using this book right now with her children as well and they love it:)

You put that so much better than I did!!! and I agree...it's not bad, it's just not a good fit for us. I am loving all the ideas here.