Menu

Have you read this book about teaching math?

Tracy

Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics by Liping Ma

I am soooo glad that I am reading this when my kids are young. Although it is a comparison of how US and Chinese elementary teachers teach math, it goes through in detail the different ways of teaching things as simple as subtraction to give children a deep and profound conceptual math understanding. And I have to tell you, that even though I went to a "good school," my public school teachers definitely did not teach me this profound understanding of math. DH, a physics teacher, and I both learned A LOT about subtraction in the last few days as we have been reading this book. This is going on my list of homeschool must-reads!

I wish this would be required for pre-service math teachers everywhere. It makes SO much sense! (And homeschoolers, too-but I think a lot more of us are going to find it via boards like this than ps teachers will.)

One of my friends teaches the "How to teach math" class, and does require it of her students. She's also gotten enough of a reputation that students from the big state university choose to take that class with her, at the community college, rather than at the state university, because they've heard it's a better class.

:iagree:

This is a must-read. It would save a lot of people a lot of money, time and energy.

:iagree:

This is the one book I think ALL homeschoolers should read, whether they're unschoolers or classicists, religious or secular, mathy or nonmathy. It will change the way you teach math — and the way you evaluate math programs.

Jackie

ummm, I don't know what edition should I get. The first one ( cheaper) or the new anniversary version.

The cheaper one.

The anniversary version only adds a few essays that don't add much to the educational value of the book.

It's been a great resource here, I recommend it to people, too.