Menu

WWYD? (Family teachers content) ;-)

Ds (12, this week) loves history.

Ds's uncle (ex's brother) is a history professor. Uncle is also anti-homeschooling.

This weekend, uncle told ds that he could give him history lessons via Skype. I asked ds "Lessons on what?" and he repeated, "On Skype!" (Sorry, I found that part amusing, lol.)

While the offer kind of irks me, ds says Uncle would make his "lessons" line up with our topic schedule, so it doesn't sound as though he's looking to take ds in a public school direction. He knows we're doing Middle Ages right now.

Ds is using both SOTW (with siblings) and History Odyssey (mostly independent). It makes for a relatively heavy load but, again, it's one of his favorite subjects.

On the pro side, ds is so good with history that I think it will probably impress Uncle. Also, I could probably scam some extra books :tongue_smilie:. And ds would probably enjoy it.

On the con side, I definitely have reservations about allowing an anti-homeschooler into our studies like that. It just feels... weird.

Input?

Well, I guess it could be a good thing or a bad thing.

I'm just full of great advice, aren't I? ;)

Personally, I think that it all depends on your ex's brother's intentions. Is he truly interested in teaching your ds history? Do he and your ds have a special relationship that the uncle wants to encourage?

Or...

Is your ex's brother trying to gain ammunition against you so he can lecture your ex about how you shouldn't be homeschooling your ds any more?

Basically, is he trying to help or is he looking to start trouble?

Only you would know that for sure. If you have any doubts, just say you really appreciate the offer, but are all set for history for this year. Also, how does your ds feel about the whole thing? Will it be too much work for him? Will your ex's brother want to assign research papers and give tests?

Sorry if I sound suspicious, but I'm trying to look at both sides of the situation. Essentially, if it feels wrong to you, politely refuse the offer, and if you think it will be fun for your ds and that your ex-BIL has no ulterior motives, go for it.

Cat

You say your son's 12- so, truthfully, at that age, I'd leave it entirely up to him. If he sees it as a fun and desirable way to spend time interacting with his uncle, I'd let him!

If he changes his mind at any point and decided he didn't want to do it anymore for whatever reason, I'd let him back out and tell uncle on his behalf "Sorry, this isn't holding his interest any more" or "he doesn't have time for it with his regular studies anymore" or whatever worked.

If I found out that uncle was actively undermining homeschooling, me as a parent, my teaching or so on, then I'd have to have a talk with uncle and put a stop to it if he didn't.

I think with a 12yo who really likes this subject, I'd go for it.

The only other issue I'd consider is what type of person Uncle is - is he a kind person? Or a critical, demanding perfectionist?

If he's generally a nice guy, I'd let ds have this wonderful opportunity to have tutorials with a history prof. Sounds like your ds would enjoy it.

Unless you really suspect that uncle is somehow trying to find 'dirt' on you & discredit homeschooling........ but it sounds like with this subject & your ds's level of interest in it, he wouldn't be able to do it anyway.

Sorry if I sound suspicious, but I'm trying to look at both sides of the situation.

Cat

Not at all - that's exactly what I'm trying to do!

I haven't had any contact with the man in a good 10 years or so, well before we began homeschooling, so anything I hear is filtered through ds or ex, and neither one is the most objective source, lol.

I can say that Uncle has always appeared to have a decent opinion of me, including when ditching his own brother, lol, so I don't necessarily take his opinions on hs'ing personally.

I'm considering sending him an email or having ds email to try to get a better sense of things. Right now, ds's laptop doesn't have a webcam set up (though we own several), so I can probably stall for a while.

What a wonderful resource. I would definitely take advantage of the fact that your ds and his uncle have a common interest.

You probably want to contact uncle yourself first and make it clear that you will be partners in teaching history, and I would make it clear to uncle that his feelings about your schooling methods are not to be a part of the lessons. As long as he doesn't have a problem with that, it sounds like a great opportunity!

Cat

What a wonderful resource. I would definitely take advantage of the fact that your ds and his uncle have a common interest.

You probably want to contact uncle yourself first and make it clear that you will be partners in teaching history, and I would make it clear to uncle that his feelings about your schooling methods are not to be a part of the lessons. As long as he doesn't have a problem with that, it sounds like a great opportunity!

Cat

:iagree: If someone well versed in a particular topic volunteered to tutor my kids in an area I'd be all over it as long as I knew what they were learning about and I felt they had good intentions. Sounds like it could be great it many ways.

I'm considering sending him an email or having ds email to try to get a better sense of things. Right now, ds's laptop doesn't have a webcam set up (though we own several), so I can probably stall for a while.

I think it's a great idea for you to email him and see what he is planning. If you can talk on the phone, it would be even better, because you might get a better idea of his intentions in a regular conversation, than you would in an email. If he still seems very critical of homeschooling or makes snarky little comments, you'll have your answer. If he is enthusiastic, and says he wants to make history fun for your ds, without tons of formal assignments and tests, that would be entirely different.

What are your ex's views on homeschooling? If he's pro-homeschooling, I would be less suspicious of his brother's intentions than I would if your ex was constantly saying that your ds should be in school.

Chances are pretty good that your ex's brother is impressed by your ds's interest in history and wants to encourage it. He may also just want a closer relationship with your ds, and feel that this would be a great way for the two of them to connect, but again, if you have that "weird feeling" that's telling you to say no to the offer, sometimes it's best to just follow your instincts.

Cat

Sounds like it might be a great mentoring relationship. I'd call uncle and let him know what you've chosen for your history studies and ask him how he can complement that. Make it clear through the words that you use that you are the teacher and he is a mentor. Using words such as: mentor, complement, supplement, etc. would help you do that.