Menu

Dynamic Literacy....swoon!!!!!!!!!!

Halcyon

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Swoon!

If only it wasn't so expensive :-( There is no discount specially for homeschoolers that I can see. It looks like it's the same price for schools/school districts.

I printed out the ToC to do it in that sequence on my own (in a small way).

I have had my hands on these. ( I purchased the first level.)

They are wonderful. The level for older students are great.

This program is a keeper. Nothing out there like it.

My girl friend and I went all over the Ohio Convention comparing Vocab programs...

Nothing compares!!!!

You have to actually see the whole progression, then you understand that they have covered all the bases.

So many programs have the students use word lists over and over...basically memorization of word meanings as a whole.......

Edited by claussenpc

I agree. Swoon!

If only it wasn't so expensive :-( There is no discount specially for homeschoolers that I can see. It looks like it's the same price for schools/school districts.

I printed out the ToC to do it in that sequence on my own (in a small way).

There is a 25% coupon code...do a search here on the forums....

My girl friend and I went all over the Ohio comparing Vocab programs...

Nothing compares!!!!

You have to actually see the whole progression, then you understand that they have covered all the bases.

So many programs have the students use word lists over and over...basically memorization of word meanings as a whole.......

Oh, Neat! I'd love to look at these IRL. I totally get what you're saying about just memorizing definitions. That's NOT how I want to approach Vocab as a general rule, and this just seems to much more fun. I think I'm going to start saving :)

My girl friend and I went all over the Ohio comparing Vocab programs...

Nothing compares!!!!

Hmm... Now I wish it was more popular esp. on this board, so that I could re-sell it once my sole student would be done with it.:tongue_smilie:

There is a 25% discount in the Old Schoolhouse Mag.

25% discount at conferences.

Thanks, Cheryl. Do I have to subscribe to the Old Schoolhouse Mag to get the discount? Can any subscriber get it, or is the coupon available in specific issues of the mag?

BTW, based on the samples, the lower level looked like it was easy enough to start slowly with my 5.5yo. Would you say it is?

Found it! DHS1005

Thank you so much! Now to convince my dh that this is a worthwhile purchase. :tongue_smilie:

I have borrowed a book from the lib called 'The Greek and Latin Roots of English'. It is very comprehensive but (mostly) covers medical terminology. I was raving to dh last night about this method of teaching vocab (laying the groundwork for this big purchase, you may say ;)).

I just want you to know......I clicked on this thread and started to read the posts (who can resist a curriculum which is swooned over?) but then I thought about our bank account and the fact that we are starting in two weeks and I AM NOT ready! and then I said to myself

Back away from the thread, woman, and no one will get hurt. Just. walk. away.

that's it. I'm leaving now......

We got the first level and are starting this year. My kids are older but I don't want to miss anything.

The sample is great to try. That is what really sold me. We did it and had a BLAST talking about "re". It really got us going and thinking. We had huge lists of words on a board and my kids were having a great time.

We did Critical Thinking word roots and it really pales in comparison to this for really understanding the words and using them. Most books just give a definition and a list of words that you do one activity with and that is the end. This approach just really resonated with me. I am excited. Yes, I wish it were not so expensive but really, I think we will still get lots of bang for our buck.

I just want you to know......I clicked on this thread and started to read the posts (who can resist a curriculum which is swooned over?) but then I thought about our bank account and the fact that we are starting in two weeks and I AM NOT ready! and then I said to myself

Back away from the thread, woman, and no one will get hurt. Just. walk. away.

that's it. I'm leaving now......

Now why don't I heed that advice. :lol: Since, I'm already on the website..... Those who have used it, do you think the teacher guide would be absolutely necessary (for the very first level)?

Edited by Earth Angel_79
found samples

I think you do need it, there is alot in there that really fleshes it out. Otherwise, it will basically be worksheets and really it could be so much more with talking to your kids about what is in the TG. That was where we had so much fun with it.

Thanks! I actually typed that before I looked at the sample (and before brain was in full gear, because I only had drank half my chai ;)). I would agree after looking at the sample. It definitely looks easy to implement and I think it would really go a long way in increasing reading comprehension and probably flow over into more rich writing as well. So...I guess I'm saying....I likesy it!

Thanks. A lot. I think. (Ummm....where am I getting another $80?) :lol:

We love this program. We started it last year, and we have so much fun with it.

Judomom, would you say one could start slowly this with a 5.5 or 6 year old? I printed out the sample last month and did the 're' prefix orally with dd and she understood it all but was unwilling to do the activities. She dislikes writing and worksheets in general.

And yet, I have fallen in love with sequence in the ToC and want to start this now.

I would also greatly appreciate having the hand-holding TM with the complete list of words. I have not seen any Latin-based vocab program with as comprehensive a list of words for one affix as I saw in the Dynamic Literacy sample.

What would you suggest? Buy or wait? :tongue_smilie:

floridamama and MommaH you are :sneaky2:....but in a nice way.:lol:

I'm trying to sell curriculum already....but that is to compensate for my other crazy spending. LOL!!

Hmmmm.....wonder how this program would compare to the MCT's Island series "Building Vocabulary"? Anyone have an answer for that one? I had decided against MCT (for now) because of the cost. This one isn't much better....and neither are available used anywhere.

My DS doesn't like worksheets either, but these ones looked more like games, which he does like....so I thought I could sneak them in. I'm thinking I could potentially stretch this program for 1.5 years. Maybe 1 lesson every couple of weeks....won't be overwhelming that way.

.....wonder how this program would compare to the MCT's Island series "Building Vocabulary"? Anyone have an answer for that one?

Angel,

There isn't much info on MCT's Building Language, but I read that it only covers 10 stems, and another member on this forum said it was the "weakest book in the Island set". If you get Dynamic Literacy, you can perhaps not buy MCT's BL if/when you buy MCT? And even if you do (perhaps because you love to read how MCT talks about language) you can easily sell it off when you are done with it.

My DS doesn't like worksheets either, but these ones looked more like games, which he does like....so I thought I could sneak them in. I'm thinking I could potentially stretch this program for 1.5 years. Maybe 1 lesson every couple of weeks....won't be overwhelming that way.

I am thinking the same. Try and start in first grade and stretch the two Foundations levels till the end of third or fourth grade. Even if she doesn't do all the worksheets, as long as she does enough to learn (and retain) my objective will be met.

Angel,

There isn't much info on MCT's Building Language, but I read that it only covers 10 stems, and another member on this forum said it was the "weakest book in the Island set". If you get Dynamic Literacy, you can perhaps not buy MCT's BL if/when you buy MCT? And even if you do (perhaps because you love to read how MCT talks about language) you can easily sell it off when you are done with it.

Thanks for already doing the research on that!

I am thinking the same. Try and start in first grade and stretch the two Foundations levels till the end of third or fourth grade. Even if she doesn't do all the worksheets, as long as she does enough to learn (and retain) my objective will be met.

Great idea! And NOT helping me talk myself out of this. :lol:

Judomom, would you say one could start slowly this with a 5.5 or 6 year old? I printed out the sample last month and did the 're' prefix orally with dd and she understood it all but was unwilling to do the activities. She dislikes writing and worksheets in general.

And yet, I have fallen in love with sequence in the ToC and want to start this now.

I would also greatly appreciate having the hand-holding TM with the complete list of words. I have not seen any Latin-based vocab program with as comprehensive a list of words for one affix as I saw in the Dynamic Literacy sample.

What would you suggest? Buy or wait? :tongue_smilie:

We do most of the activities on the whiteboard as a group. My 6 year old sometimes sits in, but I don't require it of him yet (he's....spunky). If you do most of it orally or on the whiteboard, and keep it fun, I don't see why you couldn't start it. If it didn't work out, you can save it for later :001_smile:.

Find any curriculum that you aren't using to sell. That's what I do!

Good idea, except almost all of the stuff we have, we use (shocking, no!) Plus, I have a little one coming up who will use all the stuff my older child is done with. Grrr. I bet I can dig up a few books though that we're not using ;)

ETA: okay, just looking at my shelves now...I am already finding a few things to sell! :)

:bigear:

I'm drooling over this and Mosdos Ruby. I already own and love MCT GI. We haven't started BL yet.

What does DL look like during a typical lesson?

Thanks in advance. FYI, Dds are 6/first grade & 7/advanced second grade (more like 3rd)....

Edited by Beth in SW WA

Hi, I'm Jerry, one of the co-owners of Dynamic Literacy and co-authors of WordBuild. A couple of home schoolers suggested I join the forum. I am happy to answer any questions anyone has about Dynamic Literacy vocabulary products. :001_smile:

Hi Jerry! Thanks for joining!

Could you take a moment to explain the difference between your product and English From The Roots Up, Vocabulary Vine and other root-based vocab programs. Or could you direct me to a link where your product is compared with others?

How much retention do you see in kids as young as 7?

How do your customers' students do on the vocab portions of the CAT/5 or ITBS or other tests?

Thank you!!

Could you take a moment to explain the difference between your product and English From The Roots Up, Vocabulary Vine and other root-based vocab programs. Or could you direct me to a link where your product is compared with others?

How do your customers' students do on the vocab portions of the CAT/5 or ITBS or other tests?

Thank you!!

I'm on the opposite end, I have an 8th grader I'd like to get prepped for high school. Can she go straight into Elements 1 if she's never done any root study before? (Last year we did Wordly Wise, I felt like there was good activities and such, but no rhyme or reason to the word lists and no roots taught).

Thank you!!

Hi Beth - WordBuild is different because we never give students lists of words to memorize. The objective of the entire WordBuild program is to give students the tools they need to not be intimidated by unfamiliar words, but to see them as puzzles to be solved. All 5 years of WordBuild operate on a 15 minute per day model.

To get into the specific differences between WordBuild and other approaches, check out this review by Sherene Silverberg, the Norfolk Examiner. She has twin 9 year olds, and has tried everything on the market. She settled on WordBuild as the best option.

http://www.dynamichomeschool.com/assets/documents/NorfolkHomeschoolingExaminer.pdf

Another review you might find useful is by Janice Campbell

http://www.janice-campbell.com/2009/09/29/dynamic-literacys-word-build-a-review/

Regarding the retention question, we recommend starting WordBuild with students who have mastered phonics. This is most often 2nd grade for home schooled kids, but yours may be different. Because our approach focuses on one unit of meaning for an entire week, kids of any age will remember this as well as they remember anything.

I don't have any data on the specific tests you reference.

By the way, the person who said transfuse doesn't mean "blend across" forgot that FUSE means mix, blend, or pour. TRANS-FUSE literally means "pour across". When you think of a blood transfusion, this becomes clear. I only know this because of my use of WordBuild. I used to be a math geek, and now I'm a word nerd.

I'm on the opposite end, I have an 8th grader I'd like to get prepped for high school. Can she go straight into Elements 1 if she's never done any root study before? (Last year we did Wordly Wise, I felt like there was good activities and such, but no rhyme or reason to the word lists and no roots taught).

Hi Jen - Yes, start with Elements 1. We recommend it for 6th grade and up. We don't assume they've used Foundations, so we include review of every prefix and suffix before it is used the first time. When you purchase a teacher's edition, you also get access to the DL website, where you can access the content in the Foundations student books (for free) if you need more practice.

Hi Beth - WordBuild is different because we never give students lists of words to memorize. The objective of the entire WordBuild program is to give students the tools they need to not be intimidated by unfamiliar words, but to see them as puzzles to be solved. All 5 years of WordBuild operate on a 15 minute per day model.

To get into the specific differences between WordBuild and other approaches, check out this review by Sherene Silverberg, the Norfolk Examiner. She has twin 9 year olds, and has tried everything on the market. She settled on WordBuild as the best option.

http://www.dynamichomeschool.com/assets/documents/NorfolkHomeschoolingExaminer.pdf

Another review you might find useful is by Janice Campbell

http://www.janice-campbell.com/2009/09/29/dynamic-literacys-word-build-a-review/

Regarding the retention question, we recommend starting WordBuild with students who have mastered phonics. This is most often 2nd grade for home schooled kids, but yours may be different. Because our approach focuses on one unit of meaning for an entire week, kids of any age will remember this as well as they remember anything.

I don't have any data on the specific tests you reference.

By the way, the person who said transfuse doesn't mean "blend across" forgot that FUSE means mix, blend, or pour. TRANS-FUSE literally means "pour across". When you think of a blood transfusion, this becomes clear. I only know this because of my use of WordBuild. I used to be a math geek, and now I'm a word nerd.

:001_smile: DL has been written in pencil in my plans for 3rd grade (thanks to JudoMom responding to my search for how to teach prefixes/suffixes/etc) . . . now it is carved in stone! The demo on the website is wonderful. Can't wait to join the ranks. :drool:

Poor DH (bread winner extraordinaire) . . . he often asks, "Sweetie, are we done buying [insert name of something related to home schooling] yet? You see, there's no money left in the savings and the car needs work and the medical bills are piling up and . . . " I keep telling him that the "finish line" is elusive . . . just when I think we're about done the line moves!!