Menu

Simplicity (or, tell me it's ok to not have all this stuff!)

I really need to simplify my kitchen. I have just way too much stuff. Combine that with my lack of ability to organize it well, and you have one cluttered, overwhelming kitchen.

I just get caught up in guilt, or regret, or fear I'll need it some day if I get rid of things I don't use! What is up with that? I have good baking pans I don't use, ever. I have a set of PC tart pans I've used all of ONE time in 5 years! I have more mixing bowls than any human being needs. I have serving dishes I don't use because I don't entertain because my house is tiny.

So, either tell me it's ok to get rid of perfectly good stuff, or give me ideas on how to store it so I'm not overwhelmed whenever I enter the kitchen!

I really need to simplify my kitchen. I have just way too much stuff. Combine that with my lack of ability to organize it well, and you have one cluttered, overwhelming kitchen.

I just get caught up in guilt, or regret, or fear I'll need it some day if I get rid of things I don't use! What is up with that? I have good baking pans I don't use, ever. I have a set of PC tart pans I've used all of ONE time in 5 years! I have more mixing bowls than any human being needs. I have serving dishes I don't use because I don't entertain because my house is tiny.

So, either tell me it's ok to get rid of perfectly good stuff, or give me ideas on how to store it so I'm not overwhelmed whenever I enter the kitchen!

You don't have to keep something that isn't of benefit to you just because it still has good use in it. That applies to vases that are servicable but that you don't use, canning jars when you never get around to canning, the last couple glasses from a set that you've replaced, springform pans that you thought were cute but haven't ever used, etc.

A line I liked was that Americans often spend more on larger houses just to store stuff they have but don't use. I don't want to spend more money or time caring for something that I'm not getting benefit from.

I'd rather move it along and let someone else get the blessing from it.

I wonder if we could start a CL thread on here where people can list good items that they have but want to get rid of them and then others can pay the shipping to get them if they need them. I don't know why but I find it easier to get rid of things if I know it is going to someone I know could really use it. I have tons of clothes that I am planning to take to Plato's Closet but I also have tons of other things that still have some use in them but really have no place to go. I don't think Goodwill wants a gallon size ziplock bag each of pens, pencils, crayons and 25 binders.

Find a local auction house. (Not a fancy one with rare antiques--just an auction house that does estate sales.)

Box up your stuff. Drop it off with them. They'll sell it, take a portion of the sale price, and write you a check for the rest. You can even give them the baggies full of stuff. If they get stuff like that, they'll put it all in a box, give it a "lot number" and people will bid on the whole box in one "lot."

You'll make more than at a yard sale, someone else will be happy with their new loot, and your kitchen will be clutter free.

It's obvious you want to get rid of it...so go ahead! Take the plunge!

Find a local auction house. (Not a fancy one with rare antiques--just an auction house that does estate sales.)

Box up your stuff. Drop it off with them. They'll sell it, take a portion of the sale price, and write you a check for the rest. You can even give them the baggies full of stuff. If they get stuff like that, they'll put it all in a box, give it a "lot number" and people will bid on the whole box in one "lot."

You'll make more than at a yard sale, someone else will be happy with their new loot, and your kitchen will be clutter free.

It's obvious you want to get rid of it...so go ahead! Take the plunge!

That is a fabulous idea! We have an auction house here; I'll definitely look into this!

I would start with the things that you use often. For instance, you probably use mixing bowls a lot. Which set is your favorite? Is there a sentimental or practical reason to have any other sets? Do you love having duplicate mixing bowls because you don't have to clean up as you go all that much? Is there a particular size that you really like having duplicates of, more so than actually using several entire sets? Suppose that you have 4 sets. Depending on the answers to those questions, you can decide whether to keep one set, two sets, or maybe even one set plus one or two extra bowls in sizes that you actually use a lot. There is no reason why you MUST keep a set together, especially if you're donating it rather than selling it.

Move on to the next most used item. Is it your everyday dishes? Do you have 'entertaining' dishes that you never use? What do they represent to you? Are they standins for entertaining that you'd like to do someday when you have bigger place? If so, box them up and put them in the rafters. Are they just a pleasure to have, something that you enjoy looking at from time to time? If so, maybe you should USE THEM with your family and get rid of your everyday dishes. Nothing wrong with using something you truly love instead of something that you tolerate because it's practical. In that case you can sell or donate the everyday stuff.

Move on like that through everything.

Then place all of your most-used stuff in the most easily accessed places in your kitchen and maybe dining room storage. Then assess how much space you have left.

Then for the rest, is there stuff you use every year or several times a year that would fill the rest of the space? Or if there is too much of this, is there stuff you can easily let go as gifts or donations? Or can you, again, pack in well-labelled boxes the 'intermittent' stuff and put it where you can get at it but where it's not taking up your valuable kitchen space?

Then for the remaining stuff, is there anything that you really feel like keeping for some sentimental reason? (I have some kitchen stuff that is like that. For some reason, an old linen towel with an actual little tear in it reminds me of my grandmother so much that I don't want to give it up. It's in my towel drawer. Whenever I see it in the bottom of the pile, it gives me a little lift, and I feel good. And it doesn't take up that much room, so it's worth keeping.) Is it small enough not to be 'clutter'? Then keep it and feel good about that! Is there anything that you just want, even if it's not practical? (I'm like that about PC molds. I just love them, but I don't actually use them.) Is there a way to use that decoratively but out of the way, like on display on a wall or on the top of a bank of cabinets? If not, is it time to feel good about letting it go? Is there a bunch of sheer clutter and duplication that you don't love but is perfectly servicable? For that stuff, I find it easier to feel good about passing it on if it's to a rummage sale, a charitable gift, or a thrift store--then I know that it will go to someone who truly values it.

Now you're done--doesn't that feel good?

But wait--there is just one more thing. Is there something that you have wanted for a long time that you have never made room for? Maybe a salad spinner, or a good colander, or a really nice knife block. Reward yourself and your clutter-free space with that, as soon as you can. Now you can enjoy your kitchen that much more.