Menu

HELP!!!! I have to much schoolwork for my kids

but I seriously do not know what I can cut out. What do I do?????? :confused: I am trying to make lesson plans and its making me frazzled. If its making me frazzled what is it going to do to my poor dc???

My 3rd grader

Bible- Who is God, Character building and Manners Matter (these I do not want to touch. these are not all at once, but to last the year. If we do not have time to do it all this year I have no problem with finishing some of these next year!)

Math-- Horizons, horizons worksheets, Singapore, Singapore intensive practice and CWP

Handwriting-- a reason for handwriting

English- R&S 3, Didax editing, Daily paragraph editing and Vocab development through dictionary skills books

Science-- Apologia Botany, Zoology 1 and possibly Zoology 2 (again this is the same as Bible- whatever we do not finish we will do next year, we are not rushing through this. She started botany the beginning of July)

History-- SOTW 2, BJU Heritage Studies 3 and 4. Homeschool Ponies. (I like doing both world history and American history because i do not know how much AM history is taught in SOTW) We do these seperate, but ever day (the BJU 3 will be done, then 4 then homeschool ponies, not all 3 of those in 1 day)

Geography-- Trail Guide to US Geography

Typing Instructor

Latin-- (not sure if Song School latin with her K brother or LFC A with her 7th grade sister-- I think Song school so she has an extra year of english grammer before starting deep in latin)

Reading-- Classic Worktexts and Shakespeare Worktexts (level 3)

Spelling/Vocabulary- Spelling Power and Vocabulary Cartoons

Art-- This is just going to be projects with science and history

Plus all our read alouds, and supplemental reading

My 7th grader

Bible- Who is God, Character building and Manners Matter (these I do not want to touch. these are not all at once, but to last the year. If we do not have time to do it all this year I have no problem with finishing some of these next year!)

Math- CD pre-algebra, LoF Pre-Algebra w/ Biology

English/Writing-- Applications of Grammer bk 1, Didax editing, learning vocab through dictionary skills, Jump-In (writing, 1/2 this year, 1/2 next year)

Reading-- Lightning Lit 7, CW Poetry for older beginners

History-- All American History 2, MOH 2 (I do both because when she was pulled out of PS she had 4 years of communities and community helpers type stuff, no american history or world history at all :glare:) plus the supplemental books to go with

Logic-- Fallacy Detective

Latin-- Latin for Children A

Science-- Apologia General Science (with the wonders of God's creation books to supplement the correct topics covered in the earth science portion of the book)

Typing Instructor

Health (just the beginning of the year)-- Apologia Anatomy and Physiology

I am very leary of giving up a history for my 7th grader because we started homeschooling in 5th and I had a horrible curriculum for that grade (my fault) and before that like I said she was in PS. 1st-2nd grade was ALL Community helpers, 3rd grade was Communities and 4th grade was a whole year old Wyoming History. She is so far behind in history. In 8th we are going to do government and MOH 3. We do manage to make the 2 history curricula work kinda well (not to dragged out for her)

The scary thing is, I think I am forgetting stuff. I am going through thier shelfs to see. :confused:

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

7th grade- LoF, CD pre-algebra. CLP, LL7, Apologia, AAH2, MOH2, CW Poetry, TGWG, LfC A, Vocab Cartoons, Typing Instructor

3rd grade- ARFH T, SM 3A, CW & IP, Horizons 3A, R&S, SOTW2, BJU heritage 3&4, Classic Worktexts, TGWG, LfC A, Vocabulary Cartoons, Typing Instructor, Apologia

K-interested driven science, starfall, itchys alphabet, PP, RP & Word Works, ARFH K, MUS primer, Horizons K, ARFH K, SSL, calendar&weather work w/our classroom calendar

4year old ds- still not ready

I bolded the things I thought you might consider dropping. . . I underlined the things that I don't know what they are. ;) It looks like you are doing a lot of duplication (2+ math each, all the supplements, etc.) Sometimes I think you can do better with less, if you know what I mean.

In general, I'd aim for the basics and only one curriculum each basic. Then, add back in the "electives". This process is what led me to drop latin & logic last year. ;)

7th grade- LoF, CD pre-algebra. CLP, LL7, Apologia, AAH2, MOH2, CW Poetry, TGWG, LfC A, Vocab Cartoons, Typing Instructor

3rd grade- ARFH T, SM 3A, CW & IP, Horizons 3A, R&S, SOTW2, BJU heritage 3&4, Classic Worktexts, TGWG, LfC A, Vocabulary Cartoons, Typing Instructor, Apologia

K-interested driven science, starfall, itchys alphabet, PP, RP & Word Works, ARFH K, MUS primer, Horizons K, ARFH K, SSL, calendar&weather work w/our classroom calendar

Wow! Is this what you're doing this coming school year? Your children must love school.

You need to simplify their workload. You need to get rid of vocab cartoons if you're doing Latin For Children for your 3rd grader. Also, why two math programs?

*What R&S are you using? I would keep SM with CW or IP. Unless this kiddo is super mathy.

*ARFH K is listed twice! I would drop some of the websites for letters and stick with starfall then Progressive Phonics when starfall gets boring. Horizons K should be enough for K, imo.

*What R&S are you using? I would keep SM with CW or IP. Unless this kiddo is super mathy.

*ARFH K is listed twice! I would drop some of the websites for letters and stick with starfall then Progressive Phonics when starfall gets boring. Horizons K should be enough for K, imo.

I typed it all out in a post above, but R&S is for english. Opps, I didnt realize I had A reason for handwriting k 2x in my siggy for my son :blushing:

My oldest is 3rd.

Could you pare down the content subjects for the 3rd grader so you are doing history and science each 2 days a week?

Then what about " Didax editing, Daily paragraph editing and Vocab development through dictionary skills books, and the vocabulary cartoons". That is a lot to add to your basic programs of R &S, and Spelling Power.

Is the extra reading program necessary? What about just doing narrations from real books?

I'd leave out the geography for now, too. You can approach geography through history studies. Or maybe you could do it more condensed as a single subject over the summer.

Are you doing two complete math programs? I would pick one as your main program and just throw in supplemental pages here and there where you think they would benefit from a different approach.

Personally Latin and Spanish are the things that I am having trouble adding in. And I don't have nearly the list you have.

My 3rd grader

Bible- Who is God, Character building and Manners Matter

Math-- Singapore, Singapore intensive practice and CWP

English- R&S 3

Science-- Apologia Botany, Zoology 1

History-- SOTW 2 OR BJU Heritage Studies 3. (Not both)

Typing Instructor

Latin-- Song School Latin

My 7th grader

Math- CD pre-algebra

English/Writing-- Applications of Grammer bk 1, Didax editing, learning vocab through dictionary skills, Jump-In (writing, 1/2 this year, 1/2 next year)

History-- All American History 2 OR MOH 2 plus the supplemental books to go with

Science-- Apologia General Science

Typing Instructor

I cut out some of the stuff I thought you wouldn't need. There is really too much math and history for sure, and LA is pretty overdone, too, IMO.

My 3rd grader

Math-- Horizons, horizons worksheets, Singapore, Singapore intensive practice and CWP -- one or the other or plan on spending 2 years to do both.

Handwriting-- a reason for handwriting drop handwriting and simply make her write neatly in other areas. give her practice if needed for particular letters. If she's learning cursive, do it as a unit study, then drop it all together.

English- R&S 3, Didax editing, Daily paragraph editing and Vocab development through dictionary skills books odds or evens only in RS; do the skills books only twice weekly

Science-- Apologia Botany, Zoology 1 and possibly Zoology 2 (again this is the same as Bible- whatever we do not finish we will do next year, we are not rushing through this. She started botany the beginning of July) 4 days per week.

History-- SOTW 2, BJU Heritage Studies 3 and 4. Homeschool Ponies. (I like doing both world history and American history because i do not know how much AM history is taught in SOTW) We do these seperate, but ever day (the BJU 3 will be done, then 4 then homeschool ponies, not all 3 of those in 1 day) You "like" this, but it really isn't necessary. 2 periods of history at once is a lot.

Geography-- Trail Guide to US Geography If you're using this, then drop SOTW 2 or buy the cds and let her listen to them at bedtime. Then you'll get plenty of US history and Geography. Also, do this twice weekly.

Typing Instructor

Latin-- (not sure if Song School latin with her K brother or LFC A with her 7th grade sister-- I think Song school so she has an extra year of english grammer before starting deep in latin) easier the better at this age.

Spelling/Vocabulary- Spelling Power and Vocabulary Cartoons - I'd drop vocab cartoons since you're reading, spelling, and latin

Plus all our read alouds, and supplemental reading - since you're supplementing, I'd drop the classic worktexts and choose classics as your supplements.

My 7th grader

Reading-- Lightning Lit 7, CW Poetry for older beginners - seems like I'd drop LL and spend the year focusing on your eng/writing areas. If you're still working through grammar, LL may be a little steep.

History-- All American History 2, MOH 2 (I do both because when she was pulled out of PS she had 4 years of communities and community helpers type stuff, no american history or world history at all :glare:) plus the supplemental books to go with - one or the other. You have the rest of your home schooling years to get all history in rotation.

Logic-- Fallacy Detective- twice weekly

Latin-- Latin for Children A - 3 days a week

Science-- Apologia General Science (with the wonders of God's creation books to supplement the correct topics covered in the earth science portion of the book)

Typing Instructor

Health (just the beginning of the year)-- Apologia Anatomy and Physiology spread this out over the entire year and only have her do it 2 or 3 days per week.

I am very leary of giving up a history for my 7th grader because we started homeschooling in 5th and I had a horrible curriculum for that grade (my fault) and before that like I said she was in PS. 1st-2nd grade was ALL Community helpers, 3rd grade was Communities and 4th grade was a whole year old Wyoming History. She is so far behind in history. In 8th we are going to do government and MOH 3. We do manage to make the 2 history curricula work kinda well (not to dragged out for her)

The scary thing is, I think I am forgetting stuff. I am going through thier shelfs to see. :confused:

my thoughts are in green :)

My oldest is 3rd.

Could you pare down the content subjects for the 3rd grader so you are doing history and science each 2 days a week?

Then what about " Didax editing, Daily paragraph editing and Vocab development through dictionary skills books, and the vocabulary cartoons". That is a lot to add to your basic programs of R &S, and Spelling Power.

Is the extra reading program necessary? What about just doing narrations from real books?

I'd leave out the geography for now, too. You can approach geography through history studies. Or maybe you could do it more condensed as a single subject over the summer.

Are you doing two complete math programs? I would pick one as your main program and just throw in supplemental pages here and there where you think they would benefit from a different approach.

Personally Latin and Spanish are the things that I am having trouble adding in. And I don't have nearly the list you have.

I am considering dropping the reading program (I REALLY like it, but it is not necessary:001_huh:. I do have reading comp exercises I can do with her instead.

I am looking at the extra editing practice as well, maybe do that in the summer or on school breaks instead of during the school year)

My 3rd grader

Math-- Horizons, horizons worksheets, Singapore, Singapore intensive practice and CWP I would drop one of the math programs. This is too much.

English- R&S 3, Didax editing, Daily paragraph editing and Vocab development through dictionary skills books Stick with R&S and drop the rest. Vocabulary can be learned through other subjects

Science-- Apologia Botany, Zoology 1 and possibly Zoology 2 (again this is the same as Bible- whatever we do not finish we will do next year, we are not rushing through this. She started botany the beginning of July)

History-- SOTW 2, BJU Heritage Studies 3 and 4. Homeschool Ponies. (I like doing both world history and American history because i do not know how much AM history is taught in SOTW) We do these seperate, but ever day (the BJU 3 will be done, then 4 then homeschool ponies, not all 3 of those in 1 day) All I can say, is WOW!!! I would never do these all in one year.

Geography-- Trail Guide to US Geography This is a history/geography program all in one.

Typing Instructor

Latin-- (not sure if Song School latin with her K brother or LFC A with her 7th grade sister-- I think Song school so she has an extra year of english grammer before starting deep in latin)

Spelling/Vocabulary- Spelling Power and Vocabulary Cartoons Drop Voc Cartoons unless she just reads it for fun.

My 7th grader

Math- CD pre-algebra, LoF Pre-Algebra w/ Biology Drop the cd pre-alg.

English/Writing-- Applications of Grammer bk 1, Didax editing, learning vocab through dictionary skills, Jump-In (writing, 1/2 this year, 1/2 next year) Editing can be done through the writing and vocab can be done with other subjects

Reading-- Lightning Lit 7, CW Poetry for older beginners This is overkill, imo.

History-- All American History 2, MOH 2 (I do both because when she was pulled out of PS she had 4 years of communities and community helpers type stuff, no american history or world history at all :glare:) plus the supplemental books to go with I understand your concern but this is alot and if you want to cut back, I would go with one or the other.

Science-- Apologia General Science (with the wonders of God's creation books to supplement the correct topics covered in the earth science portion of the book) Apologia is pretty full on it's own without supplementing.

Typing Instructor

Geography-- Trail Guide to US Geography Again this is a history and geography program all in one.

Health (just the beginning of the year)-- Apologia Anatomy and Physiology I would cut this out unless you have to teach health.

My responses are in red. My kids would kill me if I did all of this with them.

My 3rd grader

Math-- Horizons, horizons worksheets, Singapore, Singapore intensive practice and CWP

English- R&S 3, Didax editing, Daily paragraph editing and Vocab development through dictionary skills books

History-- SOTW 2, BJU Heritage Studies 3 and 4. Homeschool Ponies. (I like doing both world history and American history because i do not know how much AM history is taught in SOTW) We do these seperate, but ever day (the BJU 3 will be done, then 4 then homeschool ponies, not all 3 of those in 1 day)

Typing Instructor

I'll just comment on your 3rd grader since that's what my oldest is. I underlined the things I would keep. If you want to do SOTW 2 + an Amer history, I'd do either the BJU or the Trail Guide--definitely not both. But I'd go with the trail guide myself just because SOTW and BJU are both full curricula. I think Song School Latin might be a little young for your 3rd grader. R&S English is pretty complete. We're doing the Didax editing and I really like it, so if you really felt the need to add in something extra, I *might* include that. Just do one of the math curricula and add in the CWP (& even IP) if you like. (We're doing MM +CWP & Challenge Math right now.) I've played the two full maths + supplements the last two years and it's just more stressful and tiring than helpful, IMHO.

This is all coming from a recoverING (definitely NOT recoverED) over-scheduler. :) I can be more objective on someone else's schedule than on my own, although I've done much better this year at paring down! :tongue_smilie:

Guest Dulcimeramy
but I seriously do not know what I can cut out. What do I do?????? :confused: I am trying to make lesson plans and its making me frazzled. If its making me frazzled what is it going to do to my poor dc???

My 3rd grader

Math-- Horizons, horizons worksheets, Singapore, Singapore intensive practice and CWP Choose Horizons or Singapore, drop CWP.

English- R&S 3, Didax editing, Daily paragraph editing and Vocab development through dictionary skills books Only do R&S 3. It includes dictionary and looking for mistakes.

Science-- Apologia Botany, Zoology 1 and possibly Zoology 2 (again this is the same as Bible- whatever we do not finish we will do next year, we are not rushing through this. She started botany the beginning of July) Only think about one of these for starters. Don't write or plan on the next until you get there.

History-- SOTW 2, BJU Heritage Studies 3 and 4. Homeschool Ponies. (I like doing both world history and American history because i do not know how much AM history is taught in SOTW) We do these seperate, but ever day (the BJU 3 will be done, then 4 then homeschool ponies, not all 3 of those in 1 day) Keep SOTW 2 only. Homeschool Ponies would be a super-awesome supplement to SOTW 3, which covers the first half of US History. You could do the first two sets of badges with SOTW 3, and the other two sets with SOTW 4.

Geography-- Trail Guide to US Geography Skip it. SOTW 2 includes Geography. Buy a United States map puzzle, save the US geog. for next yr..

Typing Instructor

Latin-- (not sure if Song School latin with her K brother or LFC A with her 7th grade sister-- I think Song school so she has an extra year of english grammer before starting deep in latin) Song School! I agree about the grammar.

Reading-- Classic Worktexts and Shakespeare Worktexts (level 3) Fine. I looked at these; they include vocabulary. Again, with R&S 3, that's enough English.

Spelling/Vocabulary- Spelling Power and Vocabulary Cartoons Drop vocab.

Art-- This is just going to be projects with science and history Fine

:confused:

After my hatchet job, what you'd have left is:

Bible

Singapore Math

Handwriting

Rod and Staff English 3

Literature Worktexts Level 3

Apologia Botany

Story of the World vol. 2 with read-alouds, library books, etc.

Song School Latin, one lesson per week

Typing twice per week

Art once or twice per week, as science and history call for it

I realize that was a ruthless chopping, so I hope I haven't offended you! I've had to do it, myself, and my kids are happier and learning more with their simpler workload!

Too many good options, but we really can't (and shouldn't) do them all at once. Less is more. I hope you find the happy medium in your homeschool.

I'll take a stab at this (even though I'm having a bit of the same problem, lol)

3rd grader: Do you really need to use two programs for math? Or is it 3 (what's CWP?) I would look at what you want to accomplish by the end of the year, distribute it evenly over the year, and if it looks like too much work, back off on expectations of how much you're drawing off your supplementary program.

I'm not familiar with ARFH, but I'd keep it to one worksheet/page a day, max 5 minutes of focused effort.

I would probably schedule the editing practice once a week, don't dow R&S that day you do editing, and keep vocab development to a short daily lesson--10 minutes or less

How often do you do the science lessons? We find it most efficient to do 1 or 2 days a week in a block--I'd consider making Bible a once a week block, too, unless it's divisible into short lesson chunks of 10 min. or so, and doing history in blocks, probably 1 block for American and 1 block for World, of 2 days each, then 1 day of geography.

Typing instructor I'd make a short daily lesson, ditto Latin.

Reading depending on where she's at I'd have be daily, again for a fairly short amount of time based on individual attention span and whether or not your 3rd grader is still reading aloud to you, or just to herself to then do comprehension worktext.

You mentioned vocabulary in two different places. I'd keep it to just one lesson a day for spelling/vocabulary.

Remember some read alouds can be done at bedtime.

My 7th grader

Again you seem to be using two math programs. I'd stick with one as my spine and goal-planning program, and just draw on the other for supplementary things either when the explanations in your main program aren't working for the student, or extra practice is called for.

English/writing--again, I'd keep the editing down to 1 day a week, perhaps in place of the regular grammar curriculum as a break or change of pace.

CW on top of another writing program seems a bit much. I'd drop one or the other.

Like with your younger student, I'd put the history and science in blocks to keep it managable.

For Fallacy Detective, I'd probably just pull it out once or twice a week

Latin for Children A--Short daily lessons for language are always going to go over well.

Typing Instructor-I'd put this as a daily, but keep it short

Geography-- Trail Guide to US Geography, I'd do this weekly

I'd consider blocking out health in place of science until you finish the unit, or else just do it in a weekly block and take longer to do it.

I wouldn't think of your DD as "behind" in history. It is a topical subject, and as such can always be made up simply by cracking a book, unlike skill subjects which take time and practice to master.

My 3rd grader

Typing Instructor

My 7th grader

History-- All American History 2, MOH 2 (I do both because when she was pulled out of PS she had 4 years of communities and community helpers type stuff, no american history or world history at all :glare:) plus the supplemental books to go with

Typing Instructor

OK How does this look? I quoted my first so you can see the changes.

My 3rd grader

Bible- staying the same (what we do not get done will be started in 4th)

Math-- Horizons, CWP and IP (Horizons and 1 page of IP M-Th and CWP along with Math Blaster on fridays)

English-- R&S M-TH and some of the editing on fridays (not all though)

Handwriting-Sorry, Im stubborn on this :blushing:(we are doing the transition year)

History-- SOTW 2 and Trail Guides to US geography instead of all the BJU (I love BJU, this was HARD for me :crying:) Homeschool ponies next summer

Science- Staying the same- but might be cut down to 2 days a week as suggested

Typing Instructor

Latin-- Anybody else know whats better? Song School or LFC. I am getting mixed suggestions on this one!

Spelling/Vocab- Staying the same (SHE really wants to do Vocab Cartoons, so I am going to let her read that on her own)

Art-- staying the same

My 7th grader

Math-- :blushing:

English-- Applications of Grammer Book 1 M-Th editing on friday. (she did grammer all through and she is really good at it, but this book goes advanced fast, after a review of the basics, so its not just grammer.) 1st half of year, then what we can of Jump-In (finishing the rest next year)

History-- MOH 2 this year (AAH 2 next year along with government, it should be easy to do those together) Trail Guide to US geography 3 days a week instead of AAH 2

Science-- staying the same but starting after she finishes Anatomy and Physiology (she started that about a month ago)

Logic-- 2 days a week (opposite Trail Guide)

Latin- staying the same

Typing instructor

Reading-- not sure yet

Vocab the same

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

My 3rd grader

Typing Instructor

Plus all our read alouds, and supplemental reading:

For your third grader, I would consider dropping:

- one of your math programs or use Horizons and supplement with Singapore IP or Singapore CWP

- the editing programs and the vocabulary program

I think you could hold off on:

- typing

- Latin (I know a lot of people like to start early, but I've also heard so many people say they wish they'd just waited until 5th grade)

Also, do you need Geography this year as well as history? Is this just to supplement what you are doing in history?

I won't make any comments about your 7th grader's workload because my oldest is only going into 5th.

Believe me, I understand. I am going through the same process myself. I am constantly working to streamline. Everything seems important and I never want to drop anything, but once I do, I often realize that we're just fine without it.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I have a 2nd grader to be who I am doing SOTW 1 AND BJUs heritage studies 2- I am adding that heritage studies because American History, government, etc. is necessary (at least in OHIO! LOL) each year, I'm guessing from the required listing of subjects. You could, as a suggestion, do a "break" of SOTW sometime and do a quarter/semester/whatever of the BJU Heritage Studies. Change it up a little. You'd still do it, and it may make you feel better if you end up chopping other stuff (which, I would only do one MATH for sure). HTH!!!

I am also doing a geography unit- just lightly and for fun, no pressure. I really don't think it's overkill, IMO, to have that as well.

I know you're not asking but here is what my 3rd grader is doing:

• Phonics Road for Language Arts
  • Bob Jones Math
  • McRuffy Science (if I can fit it in)
  • Mystery of History (if I can fit it in otherwise just lots of cds and read aloud)
  • Bible combined with all the children using MFW

My 7th Grader

• Bob Jones Heritage Study
  • Bible from MFW
  • Bob Jones Math
  • Saxon Grammar and Writing
  • Sonlight Science 5
  • Greek
  • Typing
  • Reading CLE or the Elson Readers (still deciding)
  • Art

We have some extra stuff like learning about herbs, survival and stuff but that's about it. I'm not a classical WTM homeschooler though:001_huh:.

I would stick with one math and history. If you don't get to everything that's okay ;)

I reworked your list a bit…made it look like ours (even tho we’re not using the same stuff). I only did this for the 3rd grader.

Language Arts

Reading & Vocabulary-- Classic Worktexts and Shakespeare Worktexts (level 3)

Spelling- Spelling Power

English- R&S 3

Math & Science

Math-- Horizons, Singapore intensive practice and CWP

Science-- Zoology 1 and possibly Zoology 2

Geography-- Trail Guide to US Geography & Homeschool Ponies

Humanities

Latin-- Song School Latin

History-- SOTW 2, BJU Heritage Studies 3

Fine Arts & Technical Skills

Typing Instructor

1 You need to drop the Vocabulary Cartoons since Classic/Shakespeare Worktexts already contain vocabulary as does BJU Heritage Studies.

2 You don’t need all the extras for grammar…stick with just the R&S.

3 If you use Horizons as your core math curriculum, you can supplement with Singapore’s supplementary materials…you don’t need to do two full programs plus supplements…that’s just too much.

4 Choose 2 science books to cover…if only partially this year. I cut Botany, but you may prefer to cut one of the zoologies instead.

5 Geography…I think these coordinate well with your American history program, but they aren’t really necessary.

6 Song School will be more fun and less overwhelming right now.

7 Cut BJU Heritage 4…it’s just too much considering that you’re already supplementing American history with so much geography…it won’t hurt to move that to next year. I would do SOTW as a read aloud only.

8 Typing…only do this if she’s excited about it.

9 Keep a list of level appropriate books for her to choose to read during her own 30 minute space of time each day…Classic/Shakespeare Worktexts is enough of a reading curriculum for school.

JMHO. :)

I haven't read all the replies, but I would take at least 5 of those subjects that are not necessary for every day and put them in a rotation for "subject of the day". Each day, let them choose 1 "subject of the day"- like handwriting, or geography, typing, art, vocab cartoons, etc. to work on just once a week. That way, you're not dropping a lot, just adjusting how much time you give to some of the subjects. My kids enjoyed being able to choose what they wanted each day - some days, they were more into logic than typing- but by the end of the week, they both got done.

OK How does this look? I quoted my first so you can see the changes.

My 3rd grader

Bible- staying the same (what we do not get done will be started in 4th)

Math-- Horizons, CWP and IP (Horizons and 1 page of IP M-Th and CWP along with Math Blaster on fridays)

English-- R&S M-TH and some of the editing on fridays (not all though)

Handwriting-Sorry, Im stubborn on this :blushing:(we are doing the transition year)

History-- SOTW 2 and Trail Guides to US geography instead of all the BJU (I love BJU, this was HARD for me :crying:) Homeschool ponies next summer

Science- Staying the same- but might be cut down to 2 days a week as suggested

Typing Instructor

Latin-- Anybody else know whats better? Song School or LFC. I am getting mixed suggestions on this one!

Spelling/Vocab- Staying the same (SHE really wants to do Vocab Cartoons, so I am going to let her read that on her own)

Art-- staying the same

I think this looks fine. As for Latin, what are your goals for your dc in Latin? That might help determine which route to go.

I think it definitely has to be pared down - moreso for the 3rd grader than the 7th grader. I would choose ONE curriculum per subject with maybe a second as a supplemental to be used every once in a while. That much curriculum will burn you and the kids out.

I can empathize with your situation - there are so many wonderful curriclums out there that we just want to do them all, but we can't. You need to make some hard decisions based on your educational priorities and values. I hope you find a solution that brings you peace. :001_smile:

My 3rd grader

My 7th grader

Math- CD pre-algebra, LoF Pre-Algebra w/ Biology one or the other, don't do both. LOF should NOT take all year, once you are done you could add in CD or hit the areas where extra practice is needed.

English/Writing-- Applications of Grammer bk 1, Didax editing, learning vocab through dictionary skills, Jump-In (writing, 1/2 this year, 1/2 next year) dump the vocabulary, Latin will take care of that, do editing in context of writing.

Reading-- Lightning Lit 7, CW Poetry for older beginners listen to SWB lecture on literary analysis. I would NOT do both of these at once. You could do LL7 and not do all the work from each book, then start on CW 2nd semester or even later in the spring.

History-- All American History 2, MOH 2 (I do both because when she was pulled out of PS she had 4 years of communities and community helpers type stuff, no american history or world history at all :glare:) plus the supplemental books to go with OVERKILL. Pick one. Leave the other one lying around if she wants to read for herself, but only study one. I would chose MOH2 (only because I like that period of history better)

Logic-- Fallacy Detective 1 x/week, do informally

Latin-- Latin for Children A agree with the suggestion of 3x/week. At the 7th grade level she should be able to work through this faster.

Science-- Apologia General Science (with the wonders of God's creation books to supplement the correct topics covered in the earth science portion of the book) If you add extra books make sure you allow time, maybe add these into the extra reading time. It's okay to read non-fiction for free reading.

Typing Instructor

Geography-- Trail Guide to US Geography skip, do geography with history. If you chose MOH2, put aside until you come back to American history

Health (just the beginning of the year)-- Apologia Anatomy and Physiology since you're doing general science as well, I would allow her to skip this (does Gen sci cover anatomy?). If not make it a read-aloud or do orally only, don't require additional work.

My suggestions in purple. What about art? Are you doing that? If you continue with MOH2, I'd simply do art history in context of history.

Also 7th grade is that wonderful time to start thinking about securing good study habits and organizational skills (right there myself). IMO, it would be better to do less and build good habits, than to feel frenzied with too much on her plate.

We went from a traditional homeschool to classical in 5th grade. My ds is getting ready to start 7th and I still see gaps in what I consider his classical ed. It's very easy to plan to fill those gaps, then you realize that you still have to keep building on top of that. It's very easy to start building your year and realize you've started the Great Wall of China when all you wanted was a good foundation. History is a content subject, not a skill subject. If you work on building the skills first, you can come back to content later.

I didn't read all the posts here so I may be repeating. I've got many years of experience under my belt and I will tell you that it is best to do a few things really well than to try to do many things and do them all poorly. But I'm sure you've heard that before.....but now really think about what that means. It is hard on the kids to have so much work to do everyday and it isn't a great testimony to keep starting curriculums and not finishing them.

My suggestion is to get rid of everything that is redundant. Pick one math, one grammar (I suggest R&S), one history. Incorporate geography with maps into the history. Incorporate writing into history narration.

Making your schedule realistic means that you actually have a chance at making it work! It is hard enough to have a great school year with an easy load, don't set yourself up for failure with such a huge expectation.

Mary

I really can't tell from your updated post what you've cut specifically. Using your signature line, it does seem really heavy to me. For your 7th grader:

I think CD math is pretty time-intensive anyway, isn't it? I wouldn't require more than that.

Looks like you have two lit/reading programs--LL7 and CLP plus you have CW Poetry. I'd probably get rid of CLP and CW Poetry and just do LL7 because doesn't that include composition in it and some poetry? And for the rest of English, I'd just add in the grammar you mention. I'd probably ditch the vocabulary if it didn't easily fit into the day at this point.

For history, I'd choose one program, which I think you did mention you are going to do but add in the geography. I *might* even just do geography as part of history in a more informal way.

Then, you have your science and Latin and typing. I'd limit each of those subjects to a certain amount of time and then stop for the day.

For 3d grade, Same suggestions as above, mainly that I would use only one program and I would have strict time limits per subject. Also, at this age, I'd be considering combining history/literature if you aren't already doing so.

Less is more. IMO packing in lots of stuff doesn't really add to the homeschool experience. It's only left me frustrated when I try to do that. I have to remind myself at times that my oldest (never homeschooled) didn't get anywhere near the education that I am able to offer my younger two. To me the best thing about homeschooling is the freedom it offers, and I have to make a conscious effort to not lose sight of that. I want them to have plenty of time to pursue their own interests.

Best wishes!