Menu

Will I regret starting my 5 yo on SOTW1 instead of having her join 8 yo bro in SOTW3?

Halcyon

I believe Susan herself recommends having a younger sibling simply "join in" with their older sibling in their K year. But I can't help but feel badly that my older son will have had the chance to "start at the beginning" with SOTW1 while younger DS will be "jumping into the middle" of the cycle if he were to join older DS8 in learning SOTW3 next school year.

I am tempted to teach SOTW1 to ds2 (5) and SOTW3 to ds1 (8 years). Am I crazy? I don't need more work, but not sure what is the right thing to do.....

You know, I'd skip SOTW completely with the 5yo for now. Just read, read, read lots of stories: myths, fairy tales, chapter books, picture book biographies, stories about interesting events in history, individual science titles. Next year, at six, maybe do some light American history or world geography, or just keep reading, reading, reading on all kinds of topics.

Then start with SOTW 1 when he's 7 and your 10yo is beginning his second cycle with Ancients. Your younger one will get more out of SOTW at 7 than at 5, you'll have the convenience of having them in the same cycle (even though they'll be using different books), and your younger one will have a strong background in myths and fairy tales and bits and pieces of all sorts of things that interest him.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I also agree about skipping SOTW with your youngest. I would hit some of the great figures and events through picture books though. You could do one per week and have kind of a condensed FIAR type history study but along the same timeline as your older child. There are some great picture books out there for American history that would make this easy as pie.

Then start with SOTW 1 when he's 7 and your 10yo is beginning his second cycle with Ancients. Your younger one will get more out of SOTW at 7 than at 5, you'll have the convenience of having them in the same cycle

:iagree:

I would continue with picture books into SOTW 4 and then start both in ancients again the following year. I do not ever want to be covering different eras with different kids. Too much work for my aging brain! :lol:

You know, I'd skip SOTW completely with the 5yo for now. Just read, read, read lots of stories: myths, fairy tales, chapter books, picture book biographies, stories about interesting events in history, individual science titles. Next year, at six, maybe do some light American history or world geography, or just keep reading, reading, reading on all kinds of topics.

Then start with SOTW 1 when he's 7 and your 10yo is beginning his second cycle with Ancients. Your younger one will get more out of SOTW at 7 than at 5, you'll have the convenience of having them in the same cycle (even though they'll be using different books), and your younger one will have a strong background in myths and fairy tales and bits and pieces of all sorts of things that interest him.

If you really don't want to wait until he's 7 so they can be at the same cycle, then I might consider starting him at 6 IF the older son was working independently on year 4. OR since SOTW4 is recommended for up to 8th grade anyway - You could start them up with Ancients after year 3. To cover modern history for your older you could read through the appropriate chapters of CHOW during the summer.

I'd skip, too, until he's 7 and you can have both boys on the same time period. We are LCCers and, fwiw, K and 1st spend those years reading CHOW along with myths, fairy tales, etc. He'll definitely get more out of STOW when he's a bit older. I understand your angst:D I'm always thinking/making things more complicated just b/c that's me! I drive myself crazy.

Here's what I would do:

I would skip SOTW with the younger one this year. Instead I would get all those easy Jean Fritz books about US history and read them to him over and over. I would visit history museums and living history sites. I would go to antique shows and talk about how people used to use pre-machine-era tools. I would teach the Bible, rather thoroughly. I would teach the history of each major US holiday, and perhaps some non-US ones as well. And then next year I would skip SOTW4 with your older son, and cycle back Ancients, including both of them. Lots of families skip the modern period the first time through. It's very immediate and disturbing. And you'll get back to it soon enough.

I have read about keeping the kids together for a long time here. Last spring, I let them choose different science topics (we use Great Science Adventures) because I thought the older could work pretty independently, which he did. It still drove me crazy! Never.again.

I never got much history done before 2nd or 3rd grade anyway so I also vote for not starting SOTW until the younger one is 7. But if you were dead set against that, I'd put 'em in SOTW 3 with the older. While it's nice to start at the beginning, starting in the middle and then moving forward chronologically still makes more sense than jumping around like many text book programs do.

Last year dd5 (4 then) listened in on almost all the SOTW 1 with ds8 (7 then). This year I copied maps and coloring pages for dd5 as well as ds8 because I think she'll want to color them while we read. I couldn't stop her listening in without breaking her little heart. But, I'll require nothing from her as she listens. If last year was any indication, she'll still know the answers to more comprehension questions than ds8 and want to give narrations even if I don't ask her to.:D

I do not ever want to be covering different eras with different kids. Too much work for my aging brain! :lol:

I'd let your K'er listen if he wants but just focus on the American History stuff that you can find good picture books for and read those. I would NEVER try to do 2 cycles at once, it would drive me crazy!!

I disagree with the rest. In WTM Susan emphasizes that starting at the beginning in history is crucial regardless of the child's age. Granted we are only just starting SOTW 1 with our first this year, but I really agree with Susan's point about history is a story and it makes more sense when you start from the beginning.

I'll vote with the majority here- hanging off until ancients come back around would be easiest. If you really want to start history with the little one I'd just add a few coloring pages and library books on the more fun topics that big brub is covering and call it good. I did this with my precocious 4yo last school year when she wanted to jump in with us.

FWIW, my dd (4.5) is listening and coloring for SOTW 3 this year with ds (7.5). I'm doing 3 this year b/c he wanted to do American History and we wanted him to do world, so we're doing SOTW 3 and adding a TON of US History in. Dd listens and colors, sometimes even asks questions. We listened to SOTW 1 and 2 on audio this summer to give them a little background. We'll be 'off-cycle' some, but that's OK with us b/c it will take us longer than a year for SOTW 4 b/c my dh is a Historian.

What most everyone else said. Wait until he's 7. My 7 yo 2nd grader is doing SOTW1 right now (along with his 9 yo brother who's doing it for the second time and a tag a long 4 1/2 yo), and I think he's the perfect age for it. I know a lot of 5 yo love SOTW 1, but my oldest did it for the first time when he was 5, and he couldn't stand it. It took him until....right around now to develop an appreciation for history.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I disagree with the rest. In WTM Susan emphasizes that starting at the beginning in history is crucial regardless of the child's age. Granted we are only just starting SOTW 1 with our first this year, but I really agree with Susan's point about history is a story and it makes more sense when you start from the beginning.

Can you direct me to the page of the WTM on which you found this? It doesn't sound right, based on my memory. She emphasizes practicality wherever she can, and this is the perfect example of some of us needing practical solutions. Everything I've read has indicated that SWB is a realist who understands that in the real world, homeschool families have kids of different ages and that folding in younger children is easiest and perfectly acceptable. They will simply hit ancients (or whatever else they may have missed) when the cycle begins again. :001_smile:

Regardless, for me, the word "crucial" definitely does not apply to this decision. :lol: I promise you that the brain of a child has an abundant capacity to accommodate information, even when presented out of sequence. :D

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Here is a paragraph from the Bauer’s article on Classical Schooling with Multiple Ages:

“If you have children who are not yet school aged, begin your oldest child with the Ancients and “fold in†the younger children as they come along. This might mean that a first-grader will do Late Renaissance / Early Modern (1600-1850) as her first year of history, because her older brother is now in third grade and has already done the Ancient and Medieval / Early Renaissance years in first and second grade. That’s perfectly all right. What’s important is that you’re moving through history in an orderly, chronological fashion. And don’t forget that when you’re home schooling, younger children are listening — even before they reach school age. That first-grader heard you doing Ancient History and Medieval / Early Renaissance readings with her brother, even if she was playing with Legos at the time.â€

(Emphasis mine)

Here is the link to the full article: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/multiple-children/

Hope this helps.

Honestly, I'd skip SOTW with your 5yo this year - do some fun world geography instead. Then start SOTW 1 with him next year - I think that he will get a lot more out of it a year later. Or even wait until he is seven and join him in with the elder on the second go through.

FWIW I tried teaching my boys history together and it didn't work - they were happier separated and working at their own pace.

Laura

There is no way I'd do separate SOTWs. If you're tying in non-fiction and fiction reading to your historical period, as well as the actual history lesson and activities, you'll end up doing a LOT of planning and a LOT of time teaching if you do both. Plus, I like the idea of my kids all getting absorbed in the same historical events/peoples/stories together, discussing them, acting them out, etc. You lose that if you do different SOTWs at the same time.

You have to keep in mind that they'll go through the entire cycle at least twice, so they'll get the entire beginning-to-end story whether they do Ancients in 1st or 3rd. Susan does NOT advocate starting each kid in Ancients regardless of where the others are, she encourages people who start in a grade other than 1st, 5th or 9th to either start with Ancients and move through more quickly so they can restart the cycle "on time", or just shift it by a year or two, if I remember correctly.

I would make an extra coloring page and maybe an extra map page for the lesson you're on with your oldest, and get some of the story books that go along with the lesson so your youngest can follow along, even if he/she isn't doing the full workload.

Here is a paragraph from the Bauer’s article on Classical Schooling with Multiple Ages:

“If you have children who are not yet school aged, begin your oldest child with the Ancients and “fold in†the younger children as they come along. This might mean that a first-grader will do Late Renaissance / Early Modern (1600-1850) as her first year of history, because her older brother is now in third grade and has already done the Ancient and Medieval / Early Renaissance years in first and second grade. That’s perfectly all right. What’s important is that you’re moving through history in an orderly, chronological fashion. And don’t forget that when you’re home schooling, younger children are listening — even before they reach school age. That first-grader heard you doing Ancient History and Medieval / Early Renaissance readings with her brother, even if she was playing with Legos at the time.â€

(Emphasis mine)

Here is the link to the full article: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/multiple-children/

Hope this helps.

:iagree::iagree:

Wow! I never even considered NOT starting DS5 next year on SOTW of some sort, since that's what I did with my first....Hmmmm. He has been listening in on our lessons all along as it is, and even has his own "history" book where he pastes in pictures of famous leaders, mapwork and other things that he's written in. So I know he's gleaning something from it. He enjoys answering the questions from the Activity Book faster than his brother ;)

A part of me likes the idea of having him simply listen in for now, and also reading a ton of history books to him on the side, biographies etc. He loves geography already, and would definitely enjoy learning some American History-I think on some level I wouldn't have minded doing some basic American History with his brother at that age, but we didn't (we began SOTW instead).

I guess I hate to feel I'm "shortchanging" him compared to his brother! :001_huh: I know I'm not...anyway, I'm sure you all know how I feel :)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I guess I hate to feel I'm "shortchanging" him compared to his brother! :001_huh: I know I'm not...anyway, I'm sure you all know how I feel :)

I see this from a completely different viewpoint. The way I see it, you are enriching the history experience for both of your boys by keeping them together. Plus, I imagine that the experience of our pupils is hugely affected by mom's energy level, which would be severely reduced in this house if mom had to split her brain and time between two historical periods. :tongue_smilie:

Your boys can share their learning, compare opinions, laugh at inside jokes from books, debate over viewpoints and opinions, etc. You are opening up the door for them sharing a rich and wonderful experience. If younger children are always a few steps behind, I would imagine older children might develop a case of a BTDT attitude and you wouldn't have as much esprit de corps in learning.