Menu

iPad and e-reader squestion

Okay, I really doubt we'll get one but mostly just curious;).... does the iPad have the e-ink technology that is supposed to make it easier on the eyes to read? Does the e-ink technology really make a difference? Do any of the other e-readers have some method to make it easier to read books on them versus reading on a computer?

Thanks!

Edited by Country Girl

The iPad doesn't have e-ink. It looks just like the Touch. You can adjust the contrast though, so it is easier on your eyes.

E-ink is nothing like a computer screen, iPad, Touch, etc. It looks just like a book. There is absolutely no back lighting. You still need a lamp or book light to read by.

I have a the Kindle. Dh has the Nook. Dd has the Touch. I'm drooling over the iPad, but it isn't in the budget right now!

Thanks! The iPad looks awesome for so many reasons but if one of our main desires is to read books, then I'm thinking an e-reader with e-ink might be better (I can't stand reading anything of length on the computer).

Oh, the other main things I want to be able to do is surf the internet.... I can do that with some of the e-readers right?

If your main purpose in getting one of these devices is to simply read, I think a dedicated e-reader is the way to go. They are much lighter, much easier on the eyes, have a much longer battery life, and are usually smaller and easier to carry, and almost always much less expensive.

But if you want to do other things in exchage for making your ereading experience less optimal, an iPad can be a good option.

Hmmm....now I'm confused. Like I said in my op, we are kind of in the "wouldn't it be cool to have one but don't know if we can really justify the cost" stage of thinking about these. I'm hesitant at all to get an e-reader because of how much I dislike reading documents etc. on the computer. But, I can see how convenient it would be to have one... especially since we are contemplating an international move and it would be an easy way to "pack" our books. So the convenience, size, and ease of reading are all HUGE pluses to a dedicated e-reader. However, we currently have an iTouch and I love the ability to surf the web (and the apps are fun but not really a necessity) but don't really like using it alot because of its size. I also can't imagine trying to download an entire book to it and reading it on the Touch. So, the iPad would be really nice as a way to basically upgrade the iTouch to a more usable device in our home..... surf the web and read books on the larger screen.

Since it doesn't sound like I can have it all (easy web surfing, easy reading, more portable) I'm going to have to decide which trade-offs I'm willing to live with (if we buy one:D).

Thanks!

You can't really surf the net on the Kindle--too slow.

Julie,

I'm not very tech savvy so maybe this is a dumb questions but.... if the Kindle has Wi-Fi, shouldn't I be able to surf the internet at the same speed I can surf it on my iTouch and is that dependent on the speed of the Wi-Fi connection?

We just got an iPad and it's pretty cool, but I'm still coveting the Kindle.

We had a reason to get the iPad quickly (okay, it was a rationalization) and we'll get a lot of use out of it.

Go to a Barnes & Noble and check out the Nook. I had been pretty anti-Kindle until I saw a friend's. The e-ink does make a significant difference.

If you don't like reading on the computer, WAIT on the iPad. When it goes to 2nd or 3rd generation, prices will likely be lower, bugs will be worked out, and there likely will be more features as well.

The Kindle is getting cheaper now, so I'd go with one of them and then see how much you use it, then consider the iPad sometime next year.

If you don't like reading on the computer, WAIT on the iPad. When it goes to 2nd or 3rd generation, prices will likely be lower, bugs will be worked out, and there likely will be more features as well.

The Kindle is getting cheaper now, so I'd go with one of them and then see how much you use it, then consider the iPad sometime next year.

Good advice!

The Kindle as you may know is now available in a Wi-Fi only model and Nook is rumored to drop their Wi-Fi only model to $10 less than the new Kindle one.

I feel like with the Touch, my laptop, my Blackberry, and my Kindle I have it all covered. The iPad would just be a another fun techy gadget.

If you have a Touch and don't mind reading on it, then the iPad just might be for you. Kindles and Nooks are so cheap now, that I would start there and get an iPad later. I really wish I had waited on my Kindle now that they are so cheap. It's one of the reasons I am being so patient with the Ipad.

The Kindle as you may know is now available in a Wi-Fi only model and Nook is rumored to drop their Wi-Fi only model to $10 less than the new Kindle one.

I feel like with the Touch, my laptop, my Blackberry, and my Kindle I have it all covered. The iPad would just be a another fun techy gadget.

If you have a Touch and don't mind reading on it, then the iPad just might be for you. Kindles and Nooks are so cheap now, that I would start there and get an iPad later. I really wish I had waited on my Kindle now that they are so cheap. It's one of the reasons I am being so patient with the Ipad.

Okay, to show my ignorance even more... what is the difference between the Wi-Fi version and the 3-G version?

I have the Touch but don't like to read on it, which is why I'm kind of leaning towards the Kindle (or something similar). Only thing I'm still concerned with is how much internet browsing can I do on them?

Thanks!

Hi, I'm new, probably my first post actually, but since I just went through this, thought I'd share.

The kindle and the nook do have a browser to go on the internet. It's "beta" on both--can't remember the reason why--a little slow and clunky, only works in the wifi mode [at least on the Nook]. I wanted to be able to read some mostly-text web pages in addition to the occasional ebook.

That said, I ended up taking my Nook back because we couldn't get it to work with our wifi network. We never really did figure it out. It worked just fine at the B&N store where we bought it, but not at home. I couldn't even download books from their store. We could go to Google on the browser, do a search and get results, but couldn't get to any of the pages on the results list. We tried going to the BookNook site, no go. Trying to buy books it just sat there "spinning" at us. In 3G mode, we could buy books and stuff, but since the browser doesn't work in that mode, I couldn't access the web pages I wanted to be able to read, so back it went.

I haven't tried a Kindle yet, but we're considering it or maybe waiting for an iPad, not sure. DH thinks maybe it would be good to get DS used to reading texts electronically, etc.

Good luck!

Kim

Kim,

Thanks! That is interesting that it wouldn't work on your own Wi-Fi network at home. I'm too tech ignorant to even imagine why that would have happened:001_huh: but it is something I will keep in mind and maybe have dh check into to see if there could be some compatibility issues with our Wi-Fi network.

Okay, to show my ignorance even more... what is the difference between the Wi-Fi version and the 3-G version?

I have the Touch but don't like to read on it, which is why I'm kind of leaning towards the Kindle (or something similar). Only thing I'm still concerned with is how much internet browsing can I do on them?

Thanks!

The Wi-Fi only versions of the Nook and Kindle will only allow you to purchase books (using the device) when you have access to a Wi-Fi signal. So...if you wanted to purchase an e-book (through Amazon or B&N), you would have to do it at home, McDonalds, Starbucks, ect.

The 3G versions use Wi-Fi and Cell phone signals. This makes it so, if you are stuck at soccer practice, and you need something to read...you can purchase a book right in the middle of a soccer field.

I love having the 3G access. I would never go to only Wi-Fi...but for some people the Wi-Fi is plenty for them.

Kim,

Thanks! That is interesting that it wouldn't work on your own Wi-Fi network at home. I'm too tech ignorant to even imagine why that would have happened:001_huh: but it is something I will keep in mind and maybe have dh check into to see if there could be some compatibility issues with our Wi-Fi network.

Oh, I'm ignorant too. My DH, much more tech savvy than me was on the phone with their tech support several times, and they couldn't figure it out. Frustrating since I was so excited.

When I was thinking of buying the Nook, my Dh gave me the option to buy an ipad instead. He was even willing to buy me the 3G version. I am a gadget person, so it was very tempting to take him up on his offer. Here are the reasons why I did not...

Price. The ipad, I would have purchased, was $400 MORE than the Nook. It was hard for me to justify spending that much more money on a gadget, when I was originally looking for an e-reader.

Size. I wanted something portable, so I could throw in my purse and take it everywhere. The size of the ipad, would have made that very difficult.

No e-ink. I read a lot. Since the primary function would be reading, I felt like e-ink was an important feature.

All these things combined helped me to settle on a dedicated e-reader (I went with Nook.) I think I will get an ipad at some point...but I doubt I will use it to read. I love my Nook!

I sold my Kindle for an iPad. I liked the Kindle, but really didn't like having to use it with a book light in bed. That, combined with the fact that I can do so much more with the iPad, made the pad my gadget of choice.

Another issue we had was that the 3G service in our area is very iffy. I was unable to download books at home. With the wireless on the iPad, I can download apps and books from my recliner and play/read immediately.

I just got a Kindle two days ago and I like it a lot. I am already trying to figure out how to clear my shelves of so many books (in order to reduce clutter). However, I did not even seriously consider buying the Kindle until I had read a book on my android through a Kindle app. Once I knew I could do it I felt comfortable buying one. As of the end of this week I will have finished three books just for pleasure - something I haven't done in years. I HIGHLY recommend getting it. I think it is actually easier to read than a paper book.

I won't consider an Ipad for a long time - I love my android. :001_smile:

I have an ipad. I dont like reading off the computer either, but I have no problem reading off my ipad. I set the contrast and print colour and size to my preference...I love it. It doesn't glare. I don't need a light on.

My ipad lies next to me in bed at night. I use it mostly in bed, actually. I read (love the fact I can buy and download a book in seconds, in my bed.) I use the ipad function with the built in speakers to help my insomnia with various relaxation and meditation and music programs (and apps). THe sound quality is better than the ipod. I love that I dont need speakers- I am a little deaf, but I can sit it in the car with me, or next to me in bed, and I can hear it. I dont play much music- I listen to a lot of talks. In that way, spoken books would be great too. I probably could use my ipod the same but I never did.

I like being able to check my email or the boards in the middle of the night, (if I cant sleep), in bed.

But as far as ebook comfort is concerned- I havent seen the other technology (we cant get a kindle in Australia yet) but I am sensitive and wont read a book on my computer, but love it on my ipad. I love how I can bookmark pages to come back to!

I use my ipad every day. Now when dh is reading the paper in the morning, I can sit next to him and use my ipad to check and read various things, and we can chat and spend some time together. My computer is in another room.

ETA: I use the free kindle ap to buy, download and read on my ipad. We cant buy kindles here, but we can buy many kindle books. I find it amazing.

Edited by Peela

I actually prefer reading on the Ipad to the Nook (B&N e-reader). I find the Nook too "dim" and the screen too small for my 42 year old eyes. I can adjust the contrast and text size on the Ipad until it is just right.

Feel the same way. I was completely underwhelmed looking at the Nook after being used to the iPad. The screen was dim and small. The contrast of e-ink screens is still pretty low. So the page and the text are both shades of grey, rather than being black and white like printed paper (and the iPad).

A Nook requires more light than a book to make it readable. I strained to read the Nook screen inside a pretty well-lit Barnes and Noble store, where I had no trouble reading a printed book. The iPad has no such problems. In low-light situations the iPad shines.

The Internet was a joke on the Nook. This site, which I checked for curiosities sake, too forever to load (not a good sign as it is largely text based) and then proved to be a virtually unreadable wash of grey.

The iPad in contrast has a fast processor. A great high resolution screen. The contrast and brightness is very high (something I actually dial back) and the multiplicity og things it does well, including web browsing, being an e-reader, game platform, and "computer" is really impressive.

The one area where the e-ink readers do have the iPad beat is for reading out doors in open sun. Then the e-ink readers get enough light to be highly readable and the iPad in the same situation is prone to glare to to the glossy screen. For reading book on the beach a Nook or Kindle would be much better option than an iPad.

But for any other use I don't think it's a close call. I hope e-ink (or similar) technologies continue to improve, and gain sufficient dynamic range (and even crisp color) but they don't deliver that now, were the iPad does.

Bill (posted via iPad)

When I was thinking of buying the Nook, my Dh gave me the option to buy an ipad instead. He was even willing to buy me the 3G version. I am a gadget person, so it was very tempting to take him up on his offer. Here are the reasons why I did not...

Price. The ipad, I would have purchased, was $400 MORE than the Nook. It was hard for me to justify spending that much more money on a gadget, when I was originally looking for an e-reader.

Size. I wanted something portable, so I could throw in my purse and take it everywhere. The size of the ipad, would have made that very difficult.

No e-ink. I read a lot. Since the primary function would be reading, I felt like e-ink was an important feature.

All these things combined helped me to settle on a dedicated e-reader (I went with Nook.) I think I will get an ipad at some point...but I doubt I will use it to read. I love my Nook!

This exactly. I also have a nook and I have found it far superior to any of the other options for reading. I would never want to read on an ipad, it would make my eyes go crazy. I have the nook app on my droid and can read any of the books I have on my nook from there but it does bug my eyes after awhile.

Something else to consider...you can save a pdf on your bookshelf for ibooks. So any of those old textbooks from the 1900s, or instructional manuals, etc. I also like the dictionary feature of the ipad. Taking notes and using the ipad for studying is far easier than on the others ereaders.

If your main purpose is reading--choose the Kindle. It's so easy on the eyes. You can change text size. My mom hates to read on computers, but loves her Kindle. I would like an Ipad but can't really justify the cost right now. I keep trying to find an app that would somehow revolutionize my life--then I could rationalize the purchase! :001_smile:

Tori

I personally think comparing a dedicated e-reader to the iPad is like comparing apples to oranges. They just aren't similar enough to compare.

I have terrible eyes and haven't experienced any trouble at all reading on my Kindle. You can adjust the font size also.

I have 3g on my Kindle. Dh has wi-fi on his Nook. If there had been a wi-fi Kindle out when I bought mine, I would have gotten it to save the money. I haven't needed to download books on the go. I also have tons of books that I have downloaded free, so I can't imagine ever being stuck somewhere and not being able to find something to read that I already have.

I prefer the Kindle, I think it is more straight forward and user friendly. It's like the e-reader for dummies. Dh prefers the Nook. But he is a network engineer, so he understands it way better than I do. I am sure I would get the hang of it, if I had one and used it daily.

I think the iPad is pretty awesome too. If I hadn't just spent $800 at Winter Promise, and didn't still need a new printer/scanner/copier combo, various other school supplies, and a new carseat for the baby, that iPad would be mine! :D

I have an iPad and read on it all the time. In fact, most of my book purchases since buying the iPad have been ebooks -either through the Kindle app or through iBooks. With either, you can adjust the font size so eye strain doesn't seem to be an issue at all.

I can surf the web with ease. I was skeptical about the iPad when it was first announced and thought I'd wait until version 2 came out. Then I started reading the reviews and looking at what people are doing with it. Decided I would definitely use it... A LOT.

My only complaint right now is that I wish we had the budget for the dh to get his own... he's always taking mine. We use for surfing the net, reading books, reading work pdfs (dh), games, photo editing, design, word processing, etc.

Best wishes with your decision.

Val